Options

Moving to a big city without housing and job

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
This relates to my other post about jobs.

I am from a relatively small town. I have wanderlust and my lack of luck finding a job here only intensifies that.

Is it possible for a person like me, with little to no practical job experience, and lots of volunteer experience, and with no definite housing or job prospects to just hop a Greyhound to Portland or LA or Seattle, and be able to find a job in such places?

My plan as far as I can think would be to stay at a hostel and spend the entire time handing out resumes and job hunting.

Is it feasible for me to have success in such an endeavor? I don’t know what I would do after a few days though, I am not sure how long one can stay at a hostel and at some point the money runs out.

It seems like essentially I am trying to do the opposite of the main character in Into the Wild. Whereas he, dropped out of society, I am wanting to do this essentially insane thing, moving to a city, without a job and without a place to stay other than a hostel, which of course is temporary. But instead of living out in the forest, I am wanting to get a job in a big city and live in the big city.

Is this possible? One roadblock I can see would be that places I would be applying to while at the hostel would I think want to see that I lived in Portland or Seattle or LA.

As far as I can see this is one of my few options. I seem to be unable to find a job in my home town, so it only makes sense to move to a big city where there are more jobs and more opportunities. That said it is definitely outrageous and crazy to do this without a job and housing.

Any advice?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Which big city you planning on trying out? *EDIT: read your post.. Be careful, hotel bills can rack up pretty quickly.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,922
    It's good to have a phone when job hunting although some employment centers have mailboxes. It can be done, but your not taking the easy route by setting up interviews before you leave.
  • Options
    Send out some resume while you're still at home saying that you'll be in x town from dates y to z, and follow up with the companies to see if you can get a few interviews.

I have a few friends who moved to nyc with no jobs or apt, and it worked out for them in about 2 months. It all depends what type of job you are looking for, and if you would work an assistant/receptionist or retail type job to make ends meet if something doesn't pan out.

As far as your resume, buy a PO Box and put that local address on your resume and have a cell phone handy. Do you have money saved? I would suggest Portland or Seattle, as LA is pricey and huge. LA has a massive and very competitive job market. Have you ever visited these cities? Do you have any friends who live there that can help you network?
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    i just don't know what you are looking for...

there are plenty of places out there that will hire you that same day...

when we moved to WA and i couldn't find a job, i went to express personnel on a friday and started work on monday...

yea, it wasn't anything i wanted to do but it gave me money i needed and all the while i was continueing to look for another job.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    Make some phone calls to a temp service and they should be able to get you some sort of job relatively soon. then you can look for a permanent job.
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.