I Met Howard Zinn Last Night

mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Well, actually I bumped into him. I was attending a play/activism performance in SOHO. I walked into the lobby and right in front of me was HZ. I shook his hand and told him that he was a great inspiration and how I had just watched his documentary the day before. He asked where did I see it. I told him I rented it to which he seemed disappointed. Maybe not a Netflix fan? :D Anyways, just thought I would share reason number 4,232,118 why I love living in NYC. For those interested, he was there as a special guest for a play he wrote called Rebel Causes that was performed right before the play I was at. He will be back on December 9th for a benefit.
"The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Awesome awesome story. I emailed Chomsky once and he actually sent me an email back. It was really pretty cool, I still save it in my inbox.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    i met howard zinn a few years ago before a talk he gave at a university. he's very cool. we talked about eddie! said he considers ed a good friend. :)
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • yeah, cool story. Howard Zinn is great. i'm jealous. the biggest "celebrity" i've met is Morgan Spurlock-the dude from supersize me. he was in my hometown filming for his show 30 days. he's a really cool guy in person. just out of curiosity, what is the documentary on Zinn? i haven't heard of it but would love to watch it?
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    yeah, cool story. Howard Zinn is great. i'm jealous. the biggest "celebrity" i've met is Morgan Spurlock-the dude from supersize me. he was in my hometown filming for his show 30 days. he's a really cool guy in person. just out of curiosity, what is the documentary on Zinn? i haven't heard of it but would love to watch it?

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Zinn-Neutral-Moving-Train/dp/B0007TKOSC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1195496289&sr=8-3
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    yeah, cool story. Howard Zinn is great. i'm jealous. the biggest "celebrity" i've met is Morgan Spurlock-the dude from supersize me. he was in my hometown filming for his show 30 days. he's a really cool guy in person. just out of curiosity, what is the documentary on Zinn? i haven't heard of it but would love to watch it?

it's called you can't be neutral on a moving train. here's the imdb entry:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416825/
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
    it's called you can't be neutral on a moving train. here's the imdb entry:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416825/

I found this quote interesting from a viewer:

"Rising out of poverty in NYC, Zinn tells of his life through the 30s to his death."

I guess I should have complimented him on looking fantastic for a dead guy!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    mookie9999 wrote:
    I found this quote interesting from a viewer:

"Rising out of poverty in NYC, Zinn tells of his life through the 30s to his death."

I guess I should have complimented him on looking fantastic for a dead guy!
    Howard Zinn and Andrew McCarthy??
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier wrote:

Come to think of it there was a guy awfully close to his side. Not to mention that I ran into Jonathan Silverman in the John. Hmm.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Well, actually I bumped into him. I was attending a play/activism performance in SOHO. I walked into the lobby and right in front of me was HZ. I shook his hand and told him that he was a great inspiration and how I had just watched his documentary the day before. He asked where did I see it. I told him I rented it to which he seemed disappointed. Maybe not a Netflix fan? :D Anyways, just thought I would share reason number 4,232,118 why I love living in NYC. For those interested, he was there as a special guest for a play he wrote called Rebel Causes that was performed right before the play I was at. He will be back on December 9th for a benefit.
    mookie, that is awesome!
    He is such an inspiring man.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    That's cool Mookie..I ran into David Duchovny at the gym the other day, but that was not as cool..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    That's cool Mookie..I ran into David Duchovny at the gym the other day, but that was not as cool..

Why not? Did he pick up on you like you were Gary Shandling or something? (Fans of the Larry Sanders show will get the reference)
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

mookie9999 wrote:
    Why not? Did he pick up on you like you were Gary Shandling or something? (Fans of the Larry Sanders show will get the reference)

Nah, just not a fan of his nor the Larry Sanders show ;)....I saw Padma from 'Top Chef' stretching in her little blue shorts and white top a few months back, which was definitely cool ;)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    Nah, just not a fan of his nor the Larry Sanders show ;)....I saw Padma from 'Top Chef' stretching in her little blue shorts and white top a few months back, which was definitely cool ;)..

I'll trade you two Howard Zinn run in's and I'll throw in meeting Stone for that one!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• mookie9999 wrote:
    I'll trade you two Howard Zinn run in's and I'll throw in meeting Stone for that one!

wait, wait, wait...seriously??

I have met Padma at a Hollywood event - she was very nice...but but but STONE... :eek: *drooling* :eek:
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
    wait, wait, wait...seriously??

I have met Padma at a Hollywood event - she was very nice...but but but STONE... :eek: *drooling* :eek:

I don't know what came over me. I guess it was the visual that The Champ provided. I've changed my mind. I will now trade two Zinn meetings for Stone in powder blue shorts. AHH! That's Better!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• mookie9999 wrote:
    I don't know what came over me. I guess it was the visual that The Champ provided. I've changed my mind. I will now trade two Zinn meetings for Stone in powder blue shorts. AHH! That's Better!

:eek: droooooools :eek: :o *clap* and we're done. :p:D
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
    mookie9999 wrote:

Dude, I was jumping rope at the time and almost got a massive stiffy....Lucky for us all, I looked over at the beefy butterball practicing her ballot routine in the corner..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    Dude, I was jumping rope at the time and almost got a massive stiffy....Lucky for us all, I looked over at the beefy butterball practicing her ballot routine in the corner..

Nothing like having to explain to the missus why your gym membership was revoked and a restraining order was slapped on you!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mookie9999 wrote:

someone would have to pull me away from the guy... i would pick his brain for as long as he let me

a truly amazing historian and author... we can all learn something from Mr. Zinn

A real hilight of my Pearl Jam travels was at Boston I 2004, eddie brought Howard out onto the stage to address the crowd as an intruduction to "Down"... i couldnt believe it, and will always remember his call to "End the war" while standing on stage with the boys. An very inspirational moment for me. I still listen to the boot and get a big smile