Options

so, my dog is in doggie intensive care.

the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
edited December 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
this moring we thought he had a seizure, then after doing some research we thought it was a stroke.

we took him to the doggie E.R. and they said they think it was neither, that the head tilt and falling down while it may appear to be a stroke, they think he basically has a sever case of vertigo. ( vestibular disease ) ?

anyway, other then a vacation or a weekend, this is the first time i've been away from him overnight in 12 years. and then he stayed with family.

i'm not digging it. i hated leaving him there.

on the upside, if they are right about what is causing this, he should be back to normal within 10 days or so. said he may have a slight head tilt from now on , but otherwise normal.

my girl dog is being very quiet and withdrawn with her brother away.

i miss him. :(
Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
to not question your government is unpatriotic."
-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I sure hope he comes home soon! I've never heard of that either. I do understand how much you and his sister miss him though. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    I sure hope he comes home soon! I've never heard of that either. I do understand how much you and his sister miss him though. :)

thanks. yeah, im pretty much counting the seconds . they might keep him for up to 3 days.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    hartamh wrote:
    I know how you feel:( I hope he feels better. My dogs are like my children, I'm sure you feel the same way about yours. Their love is unconditional:) and their always happy to see you. That's love like no other.

He'll be in my thoughts and prayers....

thank you. yeah, they are like kids to me. ( they were the only thing i told my ex that i was willing to fight for in the divorce ) told her she could have everything else but she wasnt taking my babies !

it was sad leaving him there. they let us back to see him b4 we left, and he just stumbled and staggered over to me, and leaned against me cause he could barley stand. then he didnt want to get back into the cage. i had to kinda push him and trick him to get him back in. then he pawed at the door when we were walking away. he looks retarted. im serious, his head is tilted way to the left, his eyes are twitching and he is drooling. :( but even looking that way, he was the best looking son of a bitch back there !!!! :)
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    this moring we thought he had a seizure, then after doing some research we thought it was a stroke.

we took him to the doggie E.R. and they said they think it was neither, that the head tilt and falling down while it may appear to be a stroke, they think he basically has a sever case of vertigo. ( vestibular disease ) ?

anyway, other then a vacation or a weekend, this is the first time i've been away from him overnight in 12 years. and then he stayed with family.

i'm not digging it. i hated leaving him there.

on the upside, if they are right about what is causing this, he should be back to normal within 10 days or so. said he may have a slight head tilt from now on , but otherwise normal.

my girl dog is being very quiet and withdrawn with her brother away.

i miss him. :(
    Oh no not Zilah:(
    I hope he gets better... Sending positive thoughts ur way!!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    Oh no not Zilah:(
    I hope he gets better... Sending positive thoughts ur way!!

thanks. the Zillah monster didnt look so great today. :(

maybe i should take him his shades :p maybe if he feels cool he will get better faster. kinda like the Fonz. lol.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    thanks. the Zillah monster didnt look so great today. :(

maybe i should take him his shades :p maybe if he feels cool he will get better faster. kinda like the Fonz. lol.
    Aaeeeehhhh! 2 thumbs up!!

He looks so hansom in his shades!! Maybe he'll become the 'doggie hospital' stud!!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    Aaeeeehhhh! 2 thumbs up!!

He looks so hansom in his shades!! Maybe he'll become the 'doggie hospital' stud!!

all the woman who work there already love him. lol he's so cool ! ;)

tonight is gonna suck ! i keep getting all sappy thinking about him in his cage. i just hope he dont think i bailed on him.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    aw that sucks dude....i hope the pup feels better
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    good luck. My dog died 4 years ago, I still miss her so much. Haven't had one since.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    awwwww....poor thing! he'll be better soon and back home for serious snuggle time with you! big smooches from my girls to you!
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Awww...poor puppy! know all too well how gut wrenching the walk from the vet without your doggy can be....

My two looked appropriately sad when I told them about your dog...they send their doggy wishes....

And our friend's dog has quite the head tilt (athough they think it was because he'd been kicked)...and he's fine...big gangly pooch...he chases balls and sticks and other dogs... and he's sweet as can be....
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,911
    Good vibes to you and your doggies. I hope everything turns out ok :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Get Better Doggie :)
    NERDS!
  • Options
    AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Poor Doggie :( Hope he back on his feet real soon.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    I hope you get you dog back SOON!! Keep us posted!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    yea sorry to hear about your pooch. hope he feels better soon.

what kind and how old is he?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    angie76angie76 Posts: 646
    Im sorry about your dog :(
    Dig a ditch deep enough
    To keep you clear of the sun
    You've been burned more than once
    You don't think much of trust
  • Options
    My cat had vestibular disease 3 years ago (She is 15 years old now). I too thought it was a stroke. It took about a week and she was back to normal!

Good luck!
  • Options
    I hope doggie is doing ok!!!
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    Good Luck with your Dog :)

A friend of ours has a Golden and he ate a rag :eek:

$5,000 later to remove it...wrapped around his intestines and couldn't pass it

20 staples and a lamp shade and he's all better
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options

A friend of ours has a Golden and he ate a rag :eek:

Who? Your friend or the Golden? Sorry, I couldn't resist. :p

Hope the OP and his dog are doing better. Come home soon, doggie!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    first my GF and myself and of course our big Zillah monster would like to thank all for the good vibes. it seems to be working !!!

the big goof is home and laying at my feet as i type !! :D he has a really bad head tilt to the left right now, and is kinda shakey at times, but that didnt stop him from finding his ball and bringing it to me within minutes of walking in the door !!!

as of now they expect him to recover. they did throw it out there that if he is not showing lots of progress within 14 days that he needs a MRI and CT scan because he may have a lesion on the brain and that could be causing his problems. but thats just if he is not showing signs of improvement.

i dont think the lesion deal makes a ton of sense though. from what i have read, if that were the case, he would have been showing signs b4 the stroke like symptoms. and they just came out of nowhere which makes it sound more like the "old dog" Vestibular syndrome.

the only other problems was that his sodium levels were really high, but are back to near normal, and when they checked his liver value one of the numbers were twice what they should be. so that needs to be checked in two weeks no matter what. they said that could be caused by a number of things. ( that has me scared )

as of right now, i am very hopeful of a full or near full recovery. the head tilt thing is really hard to get used to, he just looks so silly. :p but he is a big silly dog anyway!!! so its kinda fitting :D

im just happy as a pig in shit that he is home where he belongs.

thanks again to all of you. it really made me feel good.
    i'll go now b4 i get all sappy and shit.

thanks.

oh, someone asked his breed and age. he is a black lab, and just turned 12 in oct. he is getting up there, but still has all kinds of puppy in him :D
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    the wolf wrote:
    first my GF and myself and of course our big Zillah monster would like to thank all for the good vibes. it seems to be working !!!

the big goof is home and laying at my feet as i type !! :D he has a really bad head tilt to the left right now, and is kinda shakey at times, but that didnt stop him from finding his ball and bringing it to me within minutes of walking in the door !!!

as of now they expect him to recover. they did throw it out there that if he is not showing lots of progress within 14 days that he needs a MRI and CT scan because he may have a lesion on the brain and that could be causing his problems. but thats just if he is not showing signs of improvement.

i dont think the lesion deal makes a ton of sense though. from what i have read, if that were the case, he would have been showing signs b4 the stroke like symptoms. and they just came out of nowhere which makes it sound more like the "old dog" Vestibular syndrome.

the only other problems was that his sodium levels were really high, but are back to near normal, and when they checked his liver value one of the numbers were twice what they should be. so that needs to be checked in two weeks no matter what. they said that could be caused by a number of things. ( that has me scared )

as of right now, i am very hopeful of a full or near full recovery. the head tilt thing is really hard to get used to, he just looks so silly. :p but he is a big silly dog anyway!!! so its kinda fitting :D

im just happy as a pig in shit that he is home where he belongs.

thanks again to all of you. it really made me feel good.
    i'll go now b4 i get all sappy and shit.

thanks.

oh, someone asked his breed and age. he is a black lab, and just turned 12 in oct. he is getting up there, but still has all kinds of puppy in him :D

I'm thinking he's got some serious snuggle time with you tonight!!!! :) glad to hear he's home and doing ok.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Very good to hear!! :) I'm sure he'll recover even faster now he's home where he belongs. So whats his name? Ya gotta put some pic's up in the doggie thread too :D
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    the wolf wrote:
    im just happy as a pig in shit that he is home where he belongs. :D

as you should be! glad to hear he's home :)
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:

AWWWWW! Yeah, 12 years is plenty of time to get attached. :D

I'm glad he's home. Don't read too much on the internet. It'll just make you crazy trying to diagnose - that's what vets went to school for (my humble opinion). I hope it was just a "bad day" for your pooch. :)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,296
    i hope your dog feels better soon .........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    I know your pain. My puppy spent two days in the ER last month with a mysterious virus. At the same time, my grandmother was in the hospital recovering from a heart attack. She was getting better, and he was getting worse. Then one night my grandmother passed away in her sleep (we were really close) and the next morning my puppy was well enough to go home. I truly believed that God gave her a decision and she chose to save George rather than herself. She was a selfless person and a true dog lover. She will be missed...
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • Options
    Hope he is back with you soon and that his health improves
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Sooo glad he's home with you. :) Sure hope he continues to improve! He'll let you know how he's feeling and just go with it. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."