Options

Hunter shoots deer - deer fights back

2»

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    It's pavlov's dog. They hear a gunshot, an arrow flying, or a slug whistling they flinch. I'm not saying they pinpoint the location of the projectile and intentionally move out of it's path. They have just learned to recognize those sounds as threats.

As for the running, maybe I have seen some of the world's fastest deer, but 35-40 is a low estimate for the fastest a deer can run, imo. People have been known to do super human things when faced with supreme fear, so I dunno why it would be that hard to believe that a deer could run 50-55mph.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    DewieCox wrote:
    It's pavlov's dog. They hear a gunshot, an arrow flying, or a slug whistling they flinch. I'm not saying they pinpoint the location of the projectile and intentionally move out of it's path. They have just learned to recognize those sounds as threats.

As for the running, maybe I have seen some of the world's fastest deer, but 35-40 is a low estimate for the fastest a deer can run, imo. People have been known to do super human things when faced with supreme fear, so I dunno why it would be that hard to believe that a deer could run 50-55mph.

http://www.petsdo.com/blog/top-twenty-20-fastest-land-animals-including-humans

Well, it isn't really a matter of opinion. You aren't one of those people who just deny facts and science are you?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    unfortunately? you would have liked to see the hunter dead?

I would prefer to see no one dead. But if I had to choose I always go for the under dog too. Doesn't the hunter assume some risk by walking around in the woods with a gun and attacking others?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    All you people that hate on hunting, probably have no idea how many times your life has been saved by it.

For those that pull for the underdog, you should be pulling for the people. The only advantage humans have, and it is quite an advantage, is the gun. Deer are faster, have better vision(even though they are color blind), better sense of smell, better intuition, run faster, naturally camoflauged.

The gun isn't quite the equalizer you would think it is. Deer can hear a bullet comin at them and dodge it. They can also get down, like a rabbit, and run about 60mph across a field.

Also, killing the actual animal is one of the less enjoyable parts of hunting. How many of you people have sat in the woods on a december morning, just as all the animals are waking up?

I think you're confusing hunting and the Matrix.
    she was underwhelmed, if that's a word
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Also, I've had a shamanic like vision of my own death and it is at the hands of a wild animal. Good for whatever gets me. I've already told my family and friends that I want nobody trying to kill the animal that kills me. In fact, if the animal will accept some kind of reward, so much the better. I'm part Cherokee and spend a ton of time in the mountains, so this isn't outside the realm of possibility. Fingers crossed...

Same here, although no vision. I've always said that I don't want any animal hunted down and killed just because it killed me. I'm o.k. with being food for something. And yes, I am a little bit Cherokee too. 1/16 or 1/32 I think (not much), but I love having even that little bit of Native American heritage.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Also, killing the actual animal is one of the less enjoyable parts of hunting. How many of you people have sat in the woods on a december morning, just as all the animals are waking up?

So why don't you just sit in the woods and take pictures? You can actually sit in the woods on a December morning without killing anything?
  • Options
    I would prefer to see no one dead. But if I had to choose I always go for the under dog too. Doesn't the hunter assume some risk by walking around in the woods with a gun and attacking others?

Wouldn't it be crazy if the hunter used bait to attract the deer and then it turned out a bear was using the deer for bait and mauled the hunter? Fair is fair.
    she was underwhelmed, if that's a word
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be crazy if the hunter used bait to attract the deer and then it turned out a bear was using the deer for bait and mauled the hunter? Fair is fair.

Yeah! And it would be really funny if the deer the bear was using for bait was really one of those stuffed things that bow hunters use to practice? I can see ole Smoky (the bear) with a stuffed deer on a wire run through the trees, pulling the deer towards the deer stand.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    there was this asshole deer at my local watering hole last night. we were there for happy hour and this deer was wasted. loud and abnoxious. drinking shot after shot and pinching girls asses everytime they would walk past him. actually he was pretty funny now that i think about it.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    DewieCox wrote:
    All you people that hate on hunting, probably have no idea how many times your life has been saved by it.

For those that pull for the underdog, you should be pulling for the people. The only advantage humans have, and it is quite an advantage, is the gun. Deer are faster, have better vision(even though they are color blind), better sense of smell, better intuition, run faster, naturally camoflauged.

The gun isn't quite the equalizer you would think it is. Deer can hear a bullet comin at them and dodge it. They can also get down, like a rabbit, and run about 60mph across a field.

So does the deer move Matrix style to avoid the rounds.

Thanks for the laugh

EDIT- sorry didn't see all the Matrix references... so I guess my point has all ready been made
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    there was this asshole deer at my local watering hole last night. we were there for happy hour and this deer was wasted. loud and abnoxious. drinking shot after shot and pinching girls asses everytime they would walk past him. actually he was pretty funny now that i think about it.

I've heard about the Philly wild/night life. Sounds like the stories were spot on.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    So why don't you just sit in the woods and take pictures? You can actually sit in the woods on a December morning without killing anything?

photo paper doesn't have the same taste as venison.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    HHAHAHA i KNOW???
    'oh these animals are sooo beautiful... but they look more majestic when they are DEAD'

dolt!
    i don't feel sorry for the hunter at all, i never do, i never will.
    its like the guy who went to hunt moose in teh wild and got attacked by a bear.

wait, what? there are BEARS in the wild?
    he killed hte bear with a spike and later they went back and killed mama's 2 cubs.

such a beautiful species, we are.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    I once saw a video of some dude hunting a lion where the guy shot the lion which apparently just pissed the lion off because it turned around, charged the dude, and attacked him.

Unfortunately, the lion still ended up dead.
  • Options
    I once saw a video of some dude hunting a lion where the guy shot the lion which apparently just pissed the lion off because it turned around, charged the dude, and attacked him.

Unfortunately, the lion still ended up dead.
    hope the hunter got his face torn off so he can be a walking posterchild for not hunting exotic animals.
  • Options
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I hope he made some sausages. Honey garlic, mmm.
  • Options
    That's a great idea, seriously. I wanna do that now haha... Get some camo-gear, go out to the woods, perch myself on a tree, and watch deer walk by...maybe take my camera.

Yea, screw hunting.