Options

Nickleback wants you to stop playing Guitar Hero

Vedderlution_BabyVedderlution_Baby Posts: 2,545
edited November 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32420/Nickelback-slam-Guitar-Hero

‘Rock Star’ combo blame rhythm action titles for lack of new US bands

Cheesy Canadian rockers Nickelback have blamed games such as Guitar Hero for reducing the number of new bands emerging in America.

The band’s frontman Chad Kroeger says young people are more interested in playing music simulation games than learning real instruments.

He told MTV: "I feel like there's not enough rock bands out there, especially when we go on the road. "It's tough to find other bands out there, because either they're making a record, or they just got done touring. So kids, start rock bands. Set down the 'Guitar Hero,' learn how to play an actual guitar and start a band, because it's hard to find more bands to put a solid rock and roll package together, to get out there."

Did he ever think that all the other bands were just hiding from and/or avoiding them? He's almost as daft as John Mayer.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Wow...what a dildo.
    AKA Cinnamon Girl :(

05-10-06
    08-05-07
    06-14-08
    08-12-08 (EV)
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    I hate to say it but I agree with him
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    because it's hard to find more bands to put a solid rock and roll package together, to get out there."
    Coming from Chad Kroeger, that literally made me laugh out loud.
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Aside from the fact that it's that nickelback guy talking, that is the single dumbest thing I've ever heard. I suppose playingProject Gotham Racing stops people learning to drive for real. And those dance mats probably really ate into night club profits too, because people didn't have to go any more.
    That guy is retarded.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    Chad Kroeger needs to put down the actual guitar, and do the entire world a favour.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Chad Kroeger needs to put down the actual guitar, and do the entire world a favour.

No shit.
  • Options
    Guitar Hero is nothing like playing guitar. I can see blaming video games in general, also TV, and every other activity that interests teenagers.

Learning to play guitar is self-fulfilling. I'm all for more kids learning to play, but I don't think guitar hero is to blame.
    AKA Cinnamon Girl :(

05-10-06
    08-05-07
    06-14-08
    08-12-08 (EV)
  • Options
    mnicole22 wrote:
    Guitar Hero is nothing like playing guitar. I can see blaming video games in general, also TV, and every other activity that interests teenagers.

Learning to play guitar is self-fulfilling. I'm all for more kids learning to play, but I don't think guitar hero is to blame.

Definitely not. It was five colored buttons and a strum bar. How can anyone honestly believe that it replaces an actual instrument. It seems that some of the people who say this are the ones who don't actually play the game and are going off assumptions. It's a game. A fun one at that. But it's still just a game.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    I hate to say it but I agree with him
    I completely agree with him.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I completely agree with him.

How so?
  • Options
    How so?
    I believe the more kids play this or these games, the less likely they ever will be to pick up the real instrument.

I have talked to a few different musicians and they all agree. They are so vastly different from the real thing, that complacent kids (which there are more and more of every generation) will give up in favor of the easier video game instead of learning the real deal.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I believe the more kids play this or these games, the less likely they ever will be to pick up the real instrument.

I have talked to a few different musicians and they all agree. They are so vastly different from the real thing, that complacent kids (which there are more and more of every generation) will give up in favor of the easier video game instead of learning the real deal.
    I would think that Chad should be blaming the complacency of kids these days and not a video game.
    I blame the lack of funding for the arts in the public school system.

Perry Farrell is making a difference. Why can't Chad?
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:

Personally, I believe that if a kid chooses to play a fake instrument rather than a real one, they were never going to play the real one anyway. Hell, even if they didn't play guitar hero, if they're unwilling to constantly improve and practice something, then that real instrument isn't going to get any play anyway. It's not the video game. It's the type of personality that decides sticking with something isn't worth it and that it's a waste of time.
  • Options
    meh, my kid started drums on Rockband and is now taking lessons and he plays my real drums more than I do and is picking it up real quick

Kroegs needs to stfu and gtfo
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    This pretty much sums it up.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/127947

EDIT: The 1st five minutes should do the trick.
  • Options
    meh, my kid started drums on Rockband and is now taking lessons and he plays my real drums more than I do and is picking it up real quick

Kroegs needs to stfu and gtfo
    Yeah, first off I would love to just focus on what he said, not who said it. I can;t stand Nickleback either, but his opinion is valid.

And on the subject of the drums in rock band, I have heard that they were made a lot better or more realistic than the guitar and that it does lend to the way real drums are played.
  • Options
    muiren77muiren77 Posts: 3,511

totally agree...best Christmas gift he can give to the world...
    what is essential is invisible to the eye

apparently, 07162056 is THE date...
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    He told MTV: learn how to play an actual guitar

should probably take his own advice ;)
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    aNiMaL wrote:
    And on the subject of the drums in rock band, I have heard that they were made a lot better or more realistic than the guitar and that it does lend to the way real drums are played.

yes, the drums are a different story...I can actually hold my own on drums now. sometimes my drummer and I switch instruments when we're jamming.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,688
    You would think he'd be GLAD they play GH, so as not to supplant their musical supremacy!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    If you are good at Guitar Hero, that's really saying a lot isn't it???

Learn to play.

This is the smartest stuff I've ever heard from Nickleback
    the Minions
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    I suppose playingProject Gotham Racing stops people learning to drive for real. .

Exactly.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    this thread should be in Phantom's All Joke Thread.
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:

Wrong. If anything, it could get kids interested. Trust me, the same people who would pick up a guitar to learn it are still going to, Guitar Hero or no Guitar Hero.
  • Options
    Personally, I believe that if a kid chooses to play a fake instrument rather than a real one, they were never going to play the real one anyway. Hell, even if they didn't play guitar hero, if they're unwilling to constantly improve and practice something, then that real instrument isn't going to get any play anyway. It's not the video game. It's the type of personality that decides sticking with something isn't worth it and that it's a waste of time.

Exactly right.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Wrong. If anything, it could get kids interested. Trust me, the same people who would pick up a guitar to learn it are still going to, Guitar Hero or no Guitar Hero.
    I think you have more faith in today's youth that I do.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361

i agree.

i have a guitar...i play occasionally...

but i really want GH or Rockband.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    If you are good at Guitar Hero, that's really saying a lot isn't it???

Learn to play.

This is the smartest stuff I've ever heard from Nickleback

It's not exactly hard or time consuming to get good at guitar hero.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Video games are ruining music, video games are the reason for all the crime and violence in the world, OOOHHH Lordy!!!"

Chad's full of crud.

A kid who wants to make music will learn the limitations of Gh or RB quick smart and pick up a real guitar.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Guitar Hero frustrates the hell out of me! I can play all those songs on a regular guitar... but I suck at Guitar Hero!!:o

While I agree with Chad that there is a lack of good rock bands out there right now... I'm not entirely convinced that it's because of Guitar Hero.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.