Options

The Official Quarterlife Crisis Thread

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited December 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Has anybody else's life been complete dogshit since graduating college? Anybody have any feel good stories, tips, pity stories, etc?
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Has anybody else's life been complete dogshit since graduating college? Anybody have any feel good stories, tips, pity stories, etc?

I had that experience already. It's lasts a few years. Moving somewhere else for a while is a good way to clear your head.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,761
    well never went to college but........ from becoming a teenager til about 2 1/2 years ago were pretty f'n pathetic. Drinking and drugging my life right into the toilet. got sober in april of 06 and things are looking up. Plus I'm approaching the midlife deal.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I had that experience already. It's lasts a few years. Moving somewhere else for a while is a good way to clear your head.

What else has changed for you besides your setting?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    What else has changed for you besides your setting?

Just getting away from the pressures of family and friends, even though they weren't a problem for me. It just lessons your expectations and forces you to be in an unfamiliar environment.

I moved with a friend of mine so we knew a couple of people, but that was it. I just did it for a few years and used it as a time to relax and re-evaluate.

I was dealing with the fact that I had been in school for 18 years straight without any sort of time for myself.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    yeah, that's me the last 2 and a half year but this year's been great personally. not career-wise or anything...but i think many young Americans are in the same situation. half a million jobs loss in November, the last i heard.:(
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Just getting away from the pressures of family and friends, even though they weren't a problem for me. It just lessons your expectations and forces you to be in an unfamiliar environment.

I moved with a friend of mine so we knew a couple of people, but that was it. I just did it for a few years and used it as a time to relax and re-evaluate.

I was dealing with the fact that I had been in school for 18 years straight without any sort of time for myself.

Did you have money though? That is my biggest problem, I am incredibly broke and in debt from college and cannot find a quality job......its been almost a year and half since I have been out of school.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    Did you have money though? That is my biggest problem, I am incredibly broke and in debt from college and cannot find a quality job......its been almost a year and half since I have been out of school.

I moved with $1000, but I did have a job lined up. Not a high paying one though.

Also I took some classes just so I could get student loans to live off of :o

Do you have more classes or anything you could take? Or find a hobby of yours and move to the center of the action.

I was really into snowboarding, so I moved to a cold snowy place and worked at snowboard shops so I could just chill and re-calibrate for a few years. It was great.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    I moved with $1000, but I did have a job lined up. Not a high paying one though.

Also I took some classes just so I could get student loans to live off of :o

Do you have more classes or anything you could take? Or find a hobby of yours and move to the center of the action.

I was really into snowboarding, so I moved to a cold snowy place and worked at snowboard shops so I could just chill and re-calibrate for a few years. It was great.

I have the problem of having a girlfriend of over 5 years too so that adds to the complication. I would want to move right away probably if I was single but that just wouldnt be very easy right now for me.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    I have the problem of having a girlfriend of over 5 years too so that adds to the complication. I would want to move right away probably if I was single but that just wouldnt be very easy right now for me.

I thought you guys had broken up (remember a previous thread) Well yeah, you're stuck then :p

I'd say just keep looking for a job or considered finding something you can do on your own for work.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    I thought you guys had broken up (remember a previous thread) Well yeah, you're stuck then :p

I'd say just keep looking for a job or considered finding something you can do on your own for work.

We got back together and I got an old job back so that worked out for me but I am still struggling with my life.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    We got back together and I got an old job back so that worked out for me but I am still struggling with my life.

Don't know then. Save up for a vacation then maybe?
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Don't know then. Save up for a vacation then maybe?

I cant save up, I am having a hard time even paying my bills and I am not getting enough hours at my job now. This is what sucks, any suggestion given to me will be answered with something negative.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i had a pretty rough one. i got what i thought was a decent job right out of college...only to be fired 9 months later. it was the best thing that ever happened to me...for reals :D i had to really evaluate what it was that i wanted to do...where i wanted to be. so, i moved away and looked for jobs in austin...only to end up getting my dream job in miami!!

i was lucky enough that my parents were able to help me out with my student loans. it's helped me out a lot...especially when i wasn't making much money.

i know a lot of people that move back home for awhile after college to save up money. don't know if that would be an option for you?

you'll get through it!! it's frustrating at times, but it all works out in the end :D
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Options
    don't worry ~ it gets better :D
  • Options
    I lived at home and waited tables at a shitty chain restaurant for 2 years after college. I also got arrested twice, spent time in jail, went to rehab, and then finally applied to grad school. So yeah, I had some issues after college. Things just aren't the same and I was trying to make them as much fun as college. It won't happen and you eventually just have to accept it and grow older.
    she was underwhelmed, if that's a word