Options

Jack the Ripper

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited June 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone fascinated by this topic? As a anglophile myself it interests me.

Anyone a Ripperologist?

Favorite books on the topic?

Anyone have any guesses on who the killer is?

I am reading From hell, and it posits William Gull, at least thus far.

How could a crime of that magnitude, a crime that is still talked about today some hundred plus years later, and no one has been able to prove without a doubt who the killer was. pretty odd
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Patricia Cornwell's Portrait of a Killer: Believes she's found the identity of the "Leather Apron", but others have dismissed its conclusions. I saw a documantary that followed her on the research trail, really interesting to me because I know well many of the areas of East London she visited.

Much of the original evidence was supposed to have been lost during the Blitz of the last world war, therefore "facts" are often the opinions of various writers to have written about the case since.

Wasn't a crime of great magnitude either, the press sensationalized the story and made it appear so at a time when greater numbers were literate than had previously ever been.
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    just saw the biography on Johnny Depp, and evidently he is a Ripperologist. Say's he's read everything about the case. That's what drew him to "From Hell"
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Jack scares the hell out of me....
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    HOOKERHOOKER Posts: 1,443
    jack tripper?
    Nice to know you.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095

How could a crime of that magnitude, a crime that is still talked about today some hundred plus years later, and no one has been able to prove without a doubt who the killer was. pretty odd
    Not really. I bet there are plenty of crimes from 100 years ago that weren't solved. This one was big means it would be talked about more... but just cos it's 100 years old, doesn't mean it's easier to solve, quite the opposite really. I doubt it will ever be solved. It could have just been some normal guy... nothing odd about him whatsoever. I've never wondered why they can't solve it but I've often wondered who it was. Imagine somebody on here could be his grandkid without even knowing it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    The things Helen imagines!!

He was able to quell blood flow during the murders and removed kidneys and such in some victims, demonstating a level of surgical ability beyond some average nut.

The crime scene and mortuary photos are easily found through google.
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    The things Helen imagines!!

He was able to quell blood flow during the murders and removed kidneys and such in some victims, demonstating a level of surgical ability beyond some average nut.

The crime scene and mortuary photos are easily found through google.
    Oh I've seen the pics. I read the Patricia Cornwell book too and was fascinated for a while... my sister is big into serial killers :eek:

Perhaps he was just a guy who wanted to be a surgeon and for whatever reason, couldn't be, more than likely cos of something his mother did to him? Or perhaps his mother died in childbirth? So he practices by brutalising these women.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Oh I've seen the pics. I read the Patricia Cornwell book too and was fascinated for a while... my sister is big into serial killers :eek:

Perhaps he was just a guy who wanted to be a surgeon and for whatever reason, couldn't be, more than likely cos of something his mother did to him? Or perhaps his mother died in childbirth? So he practices by brutalising these women.
    Cornwell's conclusions seemed pretty tight to me, can be made to appear so I suppose. Her ripper had a deformed johnson :)
  • Options
    godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    God Bless left-handed people
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    Cornwell's conclusions seemed pretty tight to me, can be made to appear so I suppose. Her ripper had a deformed johnson :)
    Oh I reckon if you did enough research you could prove almost ANYONE was Jack the Ripper... guess it died with him... he got away with it!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I just read about that shawl. Problem is, there could be DNA from 150 different men on it. Maybe the suspect was a john and paid to have sex with that prostitute and that's how his DNA ended up on the shawl.

The case should never be solved anyway. It's a great murder mystery. It should stay that way.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

Jack scares the hell out of me....

Oh don't worry your not a whore and he's long gone :))
  • Options
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I cant remember off the top of my head but one of Led Zeppelins songs music is kinda warped like so also like the begining of that song you posted, reminds me of the silence of the lambs for some reason
    Post edited by JWPearl on
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

I cant remember off the top of my head but one of Led Zeppelins songs music is kinda warped like so also like the begining of that song you posted, reminds me of the silence of the lambs for some reason

That song is off their first album, Strange House, and is a cover by Screaming Lord Sutch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ZsWENob1s
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Not what I had in mind, and it meant the guitar ing in the music as such, when I remember it's only a snippet of the song I'm thinking about