I just told someone off over the phone...

Comments

• mwbeck10mwbeck10 Posts: 274
    jammergirl wrote:
    I agree, please vote no on this, fellow californians! i can't even believe this got on the ballot.

I really don't have an opinion either way, but California already voted on this, in the year 2000. Proposition 22 was approved (61% of voters) saying that marriage was only between a man and woman. In May of this year, the California Supreme Court overturned this on a vote of 4-3. It just doesn't seem very democratic to me. The people voted, then 1 vote threw out the previous votes of millions.....it's sad, but I just don't think that much has changed in the past 8 years...just my 2 cents.
    10/27/00, 10/28/00, 10/20/01, 12/8/02, 6/1/03, 6/2/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 10/25/03, 10/28/03, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/5/08, 4/7/08, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/16/08
  • pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    mwbeck10 wrote:
    I really don't have an opinion either way, but California already voted on this, in the year 2000. Proposition 22 was approved (61% of voters) saying that marriage was only between a man and woman. In May of this year, the California Supreme Court overturned this on a vote of 4-3. It just doesn't seem very democratic to me. The people voted, then 1 vote threw out the previous votes of millions.....it's sad, but I just don't think that much has changed in the past 8 years...just my 2 cents.

You don't have an opinion? This is about equal rights. I'm so glad the California Supreme Court DID step in. If two people are in love and want to get married, they should be able to, REGARDLESS of their ETHNICITY, RELIGION, or whether they are gay or straight. EVERYBODY should have the right to marriage. Taking away that for ANYONE is wrong.
  • i wish i lived in Ca so i could vote yes on 8
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    You don't have an opinion? This is about equal rights. I'm so glad the California Supreme Court DID step in. If two people are in love and want to get married, they should be able to, REGARDLESS of their ETHNICITY, RELIGION, or whether they are gay or straight. EVERYBODY should have the right to marriage. Taking away that for ANYONE is wrong.

I wasn't going to post here but oh well. I think it's kinda crappy that you jumped all over someone b/c they didn't share the same opinion as you. The guy on the phone probably felt strongly about his point of view. At least he was doing something about it. And again, in this post, your jumping on someone for not sharing your opinion. Doesn't equal rights also mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion? Maybe instead of telling people off, you could listen to their side and have an actual conversation. Sorry, just my opinion.
  • mwbeck10mwbeck10 Posts: 274

I guess I do have an opinion. If I would have voted back in 2000 I would have voted to allow gay marriage. But I will be voting yes on Prop 8 because of how everything in SF went down with the SF mayor and the CA Supreme Court. This is not the way democracy works.

EVERYBODY should have the right to vote. Taking that away from ANYONE is wrong. By overturning the voters voice, they took away that right. If they want to overturn the previous proposition/law, put it back on the ballot and let the PEOPLE decide again. It's not up to 7 individuals.
    10/27/00, 10/28/00, 10/20/01, 12/8/02, 6/1/03, 6/2/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 10/25/03, 10/28/03, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/5/08, 4/7/08, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/16/08
  • PJGARDEN wrote:
    I wasn't going to post here but oh well. I think it's kinda crappy that you jumped all over someone b/c they didn't share the same opinion as you. The guy on the phone probably felt strongly about his point of view. At least he was doing something about it. And again, in this post, your jumping on someone for not sharing your opinion. Doesn't equal rights also mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion? Maybe instead of telling people off, you could listen to their side and have an actual conversation. Sorry, just my opinion.
    crappy, cowardly, juvenile.....

routine was the theme..

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    mwbeck10 wrote:
    I guess I do have an opinion. If I would have voted back in 2000 I would have voted to allow gay marriage. But I will be voting yes on Prop 8 because of how everything in SF went down with the SF mayor and the CA Supreme Court. This is not the way democracy works.

EVERYBODY should have the right to vote. Taking that away from ANYONE is wrong. By overturning the voters voice, they took away that right. If they want to overturn the previous proposition/law, put it back on the ballot and let the PEOPLE decide again. It's not up to 7 individuals.

Well this is why we have 3 branches of our political system. Our founding fathers had the foresight to realize that sometimes majority rule does not quite mean that it should be law or the code of ethic a society should be run by.

That is why there was a judiciary branch establish and their override showed some conviction over just a mob rules mentatility.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    PJGARDEN wrote:

When it comes to taking away someone's civil rights, of course I am going to call someone on it. I'm not crappy; taking away peoples rights are pretty crappy though.
    Well this is why we have 3 branches of our political system. Our founding fathers had the foresight to realize that sometimes majority rule does not quite mean that it should be law or the code of ethic a society should be run by.

That is why there was a judiciary branch establish and their override showed some conviction over just a mob rules mentatility.

I agree. People just don't get it. If someone told me I couldn't get married because I have brown skin, that would be so wrong. It is the EXACT SAME THING. Discrimination is discrimination. Wake up people.
    crappy, cowardly, juvenile.....

By the way, he called MY HOME! I don't see how it is crappy or cowardly or juvenile.
    mwbeck10 wrote:

WOW. Good to know you are voting to take away peoples rights. That is pretty sad and disgusting.
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Yesterday while running errands with my 2 sons we came across a group of about 40 people holding signs and banners on a very busy street corner in So Cal. They were all lobbying for a YES vote on 8. My oldest son and I have discussed this and we both feel there should be equal rights for everyone (he's 13 and I'm amazed at how politically aware he is) Anyway, he spotted these people with their signs and banners before I did and as we drove passed them my son rolled down the window and screamed "equal rights for everyone" and gave them a huge couple of thumbs down!! I was so proud of him...........funny tho, at first I thought he was flipping them off!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    PJPixie wrote:
    Yesterday while running errands with my 2 sons we came across a group of about 40 people holding signs and banners on a very busy street corner in So Cal. They were all lobbying for a YES vote on 8. My oldest son and I have discussed this and we both feel there should be equal rights for everyone (he's 13 and I'm amazed at how politically aware he is) Anyway, he spotted these people with their signs and banners before I did and as we drove passed them my son rolled down the window and screamed "equal rights for everyone" and gave them a huge couple of thumbs down!! I was so proud of him...........funny tho, at first I thought he was flipping them off!

:)

That's awesome Pix. I'm so happy I was raised by wonderful parents who also taught me that everyone should have equal rights. I can see you are a great mom if your son realizes this too! :) This post made my day.
    When it comes to taking away someone's civil rights, of course I am going to call someone on it. I'm not crappy; taking away peoples rights are pretty crappy though.

My point was there was a MUCH better way to handle it. Telling him off was childish and your still getting on to people for not agreeing with you. Believe it or not, that is your OPINION not a fact.
  • marriage is the joining of lives between a man and a woman so they can reproduce and keep the human species going.

same sex couples can live together, do whatever they want, join each other in life......pick a different word. not a word that is supposed to be sacred and actually means something to other people....the word marriage is taken already

routine was the theme..

• PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    My point was there was a MUCH better way to handle it. Telling him off was childish and your still getting on to people for not agreeing with you. Believe it or not, that is your OPINION not a fact.

..........and everyone is entitled to an opinion.........how would you like it if I said "Sorry, no more OPINIONS for you!!"???
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    PJGARDEN wrote:

No. He called my home. I wouldn't just walk up to him and start yelling; but the fact is that he called me at home. You bet I'm going to yell at him for that. I guess protecting the rights of people isn't important to you.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    marriage is the joining of lives between a man and a woman so they can reproduce and keep the human species going.

same sex couples can live together, do whatever they want, join each other in life......pick a different word. not a word that is supposed to be sacred and actually means something to other people....the word marriage is taken already

I don't think they really care about the word "marraige". It's more about the benefits that come with being married. That's what they want.. not the title.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • marriage is the joining of lives between a man and a woman so they can reproduce and keep the human species going.

What if a man and woman want to get married but can't have kids or don't want them? Do they not get married? Besides I think it is a proven fact you don't have to be married to reproduce :p

A loving parent is all that matters. I was raised my mum alone and she was kick ass. One great parent beats two shitty ones.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    What if a man and woman want to get married but can't have kids or don't want them? Do they not get married? Besides I think it is a proven fact you don't have to be married to reproduce :p

A loving parent is all that matters. I was raised my mum alone and she was kick ass. One great parent beats two shitty ones.

whoa whoa whoa slow down there becks.....logic will get you nowhere in this argument ;):D
  • meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,554
    To the people who think this is an issue of majority rules: You are wrong. The Supreme Court rules on the constitutionality of a law. The Court ruled that the majority created a law that was discriminatory. It's happened before. Blacks didn't used to have the right to vote, remember? How about "separate but equal"? That also took the Supreme Court to strike down.

This is about equality, not about "majority rules." By the way, even if this constitutional amendment passes, the supreme court will have the last word, and rightfully so.

No on 8.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • What if a man and woman want to get married but can't have kids or don't want them? Do they not get married? Besides I think it is a proven fact you don't have to be married to reproduce :p

would you want to be the kid who has two mommy's or two dads? i wouldnt want to be him

routine was the theme..

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    To the people who think this is an issue of majority rules: You are wrong. The Supreme Court rules on the constitutionality of a law. The Court ruled that the majority created a law that was discriminatory. It's happened before. Blacks didn't used to have the right to vote, remember? How about "separate but equal"? That also took the Supreme Court to strike down.

This is about equality, not about "majority rules." By the way, even if this constitutional amendment passes, the supreme court will have the last word, and rightfully so.

No on 8.

Read mine above. Glad their are three of us. Majority rules on this being not a majority rules issue.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Read mine above. Glad their are two of us. Majority rules on this being not a majority rules issue.

Agreed. If the court didn't exist, we'd still have separate schools for "coloreds."
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
    would you want to be the kid who has two mommy's or two dads? i wouldnt want to be him

Pretty sad. And also irrelevant. It's not illegal for a cohabitating gay individual in a relationship to adopt a child.
  • Pretty sad. And also irrelevant. It's not illegal for a cohabitating gay individual in a relationship to adopt a child.
    it wasnt irrelevant to stb's point made to me. i was responding to s.t.b

routine was the theme..

Here is my question. There are those of you who say this amendment is to protect the sanctity of marriage, blah, blah, blah.

Has teh institution of marriage suffered during this past year in which California has been allowing gay marriages? How about the last several years in which gay marriage has been legal in western countries such as Germany? Has anything changed at all (other than some people now have the right to get married when they didn't before)?

Marriage as an institution is fine, believe me. Nothing was hurt by allowing two people who love each other to get married. I am a straight guy living in CA. Allowing gay marriage in my state didn't turn me gay, and it didn't ruin anything for me. It just made the world a little better for some people.
    PJPixie wrote:
    ..........and everyone is entitled to an opinion.........how would you like it if I said "Sorry, no more OPINIONS for you!!"???

Listen I really didn't mean to offend anyone. I just think we should listen to everyone's opinions and it didn't sound like she was. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing I just don't think telling him off was the best way to get the point accross.
  • Marriage is so gay.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    What I want to know is.. if this has already been voted on and passed, and then the California Supreme Court overruled it. Will the California Supreme Court be overruled if it gets passed again? In which they will probably bring it back to the Supreme Court..:confused: Seems like an endless cycle.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.