Options

I just told someone off over the phone...

pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
edited October 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
And it felt great!!

I noticed the phone said "private caller" so I thought it was my dad or brother (I never answer if it says "unknown). It was this guy saying "Hi, I'm Mark, and I'm with the Yes on proposition 8 campaign."

For those outside Cali, Yes on 8 takes away the right for same sex marriage. I'm sorry but no matter how you feel about gay people, this is an issue of equal rights.

Anyway, as soon as Mark introduced himself, I really told him off! This is an issue I really feel passionately about. Then I hung up. My only regret is that I don't have the kind of phone that you can slam down--clicking the "off" button just isn't the same as slamming down the phone. ;)

Now I doubt Mark cared, but I'm a pretty mild mannered person and I rarely yell, but it just felt SO GOOD to give him a piece of my mind.

Just thought I'd share. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    good for you jen....:)

the people running the yes on 8 campaign make me sick....closed minded twats :mad:
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    And it felt great!!

I noticed the phone said "private caller" so I thought it was my dad or brother (I never answer if it says "unknown). It was this guy saying "Hi, I'm Mark, and I'm with the Yes on proposition 8 campaign."

For those outside Cali, Yes on 8 takes away the right for same sex marriage. I'm sorry but no matter how you feel about gay people, this is an issue of equal rights.

Anyway, as soon as Mark introduced himself, I really told him off! This is an issue I really feel passionately about. Then I hung up. My only regret is that I don't have the kind of phone that you can slam down--clicking the "off" button just isn't the same as slamming down the phone. ;)

Now I doubt Mark cared, but I'm a pretty mild mannered person and I rarely yell, but it just felt SO GOOD to give him a piece of my mind.

YOU'RE MY HERO!!!

You didn't happen to save the phone number? I would not mind given them a call and saying something sweet :D
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    good for you jen....:)

the people running the yes on 8 campaign make me sick....closed minded twats :mad:

Me too! It scares me, actually. I've lived in countries where people have had their rights taken away. It is sickening, and I do not want it happening here.
  • Options
    YOU'RE MY HERO!!!

You didn't happen to save the phone number? I would not mind given them a call and saying something sweet :D

:) Aww thanks BD. No, it just said "private caller." Darn ;)
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,832
    Telephone tough Girl huh?

Haven't gotten those kind of political calls, But as an independent it kinda pisses me off to receive political shit(dem. and rep.) in the mail!what an incredible waste of paper!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    The people I go off at over the phone are those Indian call centres. I'm sure company's from all around the world outsource over there. But I find them rude, and call at inappropriate times. My phone company is with them and I'm on a 24 month contract. My phone broke after 13months, (not my fault sim card just wouldn't read in my phone) They would do nothing for me, Saying if I wanted a new phone I would have to pay out thousands of dollars and I would have to pay the costs of repairing it myself. That is the only time I'm rude to people over the phone.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    good on you jen, power to you *raises fist in the air* :mad:

ignorance like this, especially towards your fellow man, is inexcusable.
    i realise this is just the tip of the iceberg, but it's no wonder our world is in such a mess.

*sigh*
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    :D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    well what did you tell Mark, Jen? :D
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Next time throw in a "Fuck you" for me too. These fuckin people...
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I like it. :) I never pick up those calls, but if I did, I'd love to give them a piece of my mind. Absolutely hate political calls. Do they really think an unsolicited phone call is going to change someones mind? I guess maybe they do though, or they wouldn't spend the time/cash making them. :(
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    I was at Burger King today with a couple of old friends when an elderly man holding a pamphlet approaches our table.

Elderly man: (Waving pamphlet) "blah blah blah....protect marriage...marriage is between a man and a woman....blah blah."

Sponger: "Maybe 80 years ago marriage was that way. Times are changing."

EM: "No they aren't. Marriage doesn't change."

Sponger: "Yes they are. This isn't 80 years ago."

EM: "God says marriage is between a man and a woman."

Sponger: "God says? Does God talk to you? Did God tell you about marriage?"

EM: "The bible says..."

Sponger: "The bible? Ha Ha Ha. The bible! Ha Ha Ha."

EM: (Points to other people in the restaurant) "90% of those people are behind proposition 8."

Sponger: "That's a sad statistic."

EM: "90%!"

Sponger: "That's a sad statistic."
  • Options
    Good for you, Jen. I hate telemarketers as it is but agreed this is about more ... this is about equal rights for all.
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    I like it. :) I never pick up those calls, but if I did, I'd love to give them a piece of my mind. Absolutely hate political calls. Do they really think an unsolicited phone call is going to change someones mind? I guess maybe they do though, or they wouldn't spend the time/cash making them. :(

We don't either!! But they are getting trickier now and the call shows up as "private caller." A couple of my family members show up as private caller, so that's why I answered. But you know what, I'm glad I did pick up. You are right though, talk about a huge money waster!
  • Options
    Good for you, Jen. I hate telemarketers as it is but agreed this is about more ... this is about equal rights for all.

:) Thanks STB!

Thanks everyone for posting. I really wish I would have done more for this, such as volunteering for the "Vote No" campaign. Things have been hectic lately so I didn't and I regret that. It did feel good though to at least tell this guy off. :)
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    And it felt great!!

"Hello Mark; I'm Jen.........

Are those gay nutcases trying to get married so they can blow up the world? Are they going to try to overthrow the government and make us all wear fidoras? Or paint our homes with rainbows and shit?

Oh my God!! Mark. You have just saved my life where can I sign up for the burning of those flamers? How dare they try to get married? What next divorce? Shit they want all of our rights..........

(And I thought we had the market cornered for marriage, divorce and misery.......wow, just ............wow.............)

For the record, I am not into the gay thing, don't want it pushed in my face. But I don't want to have anyone sexuality pushed down my face or thrown in front of my kids eyes.......but to call people up on the phone about this...shit this guy has less of a life than he thinks I suppose..........

find a real cause........
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    why on earth would someone call you about that anyway?
  • Options
    illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    haha sorry, i was reminded of this when i read the title for some reason :eek:

i love the Seinfeld episode when Jerry's dealing with a telemarketer: Thanks for calling. Say, I’m a bit busy right now. Would you mind giving me your home telephone number? …Oh, you don’t like getting business calls at your home? Well, neither do I. Good-bye.

hehe..

good on ya btw!
    wah
  • Options
    why on earth would someone call you about that anyway?

Because it is a hot issue on the election right now. The Mormon Church is the backer; they are pouring a SCARY amount of money into this. They are lying and saying this will be taught in schools and asking if people really want their kids exposed to this. Teachers and schools are saying that this is a lie, but unfortunately people fall for these tactics.

Interesting article in today's paper about the strategy. http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1344079.html

It is scary that this could win. Again, this is an issue that could take away civil rights for people. It terrifies me that this is okay for some people.
  • Options
    SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Man all thats sounds pretty messy. Nice job! Care to tell us what you said ? ;) lol
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Options
    haha sorry, i was reminded of this when i read the title for some reason :eek:

i love the Seinfeld episode when Jerry's dealing with a telemarketer: Thanks for calling. Say, I’m a bit busy right now. Would you mind giving me your home telephone number? …Oh, you don’t like getting business calls at your home? Well, neither do I. Good-bye.

hehe..

good on ya btw!

They play that song in spin class sometimes...and I'm not going to comment on my experiences with that right now :p

Yep, that is great Seinfeld episode. :)
  • Options
    Snake wrote:
    Man all thats sounds pretty messy. Nice job! Care to tell us what you said ? ;) lol

Thanks Snake :)
  • Options
    Because it is a hot issue on the election right now. The Mormon Church is the backer; they are pouring a SCARY amount of money into this. They are lying and saying this will be taught in schools and asking if people really want their kids exposed to this. Teachers and schools are saying that this is a lie, but unfortunately people fall for these tactics.

Interesting article in today's paper about the strategy. http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1344079.html

It is scary that this could win. Again, this is an issue that could take away civil rights for people. It terrifies me that this is okay for some people.

Someone just pointed out in a pm that most people seem to think this thread is about telemarketers/phone calls and it seems people are reading that way. Its not. This is real and scary. If you live in California PLEASE PLEASE vote no on 8...

I keep saying it but I truly don't see how it is okay to take away civil rights from people. I really hope this doesn't pass.
  • Options
    Someone just pointed out in a pm that most people seem to think this thread is about telemarketers/phone calls and it seems people are reading that way. Its not. This is real and scary. If you live in California PLEASE PLEASE vote no on 8...

I keep saying it but I truly don't see how it is okay to take away civil rights from people. I really hope this doesn't pass.

I agree, please vote no on this, fellow californians! i can't even believe this got on the ballot.
  • Options
    jammergirl wrote:
    I agree, please vote no on this, fellow californians! i can't even believe this got on the ballot.
    :) Thanks jammergirl. I can't believe it either.
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    HA! way to go Jen :):)

This issue really bugs me as well.

So much for separating church and state eh :rolleyes:
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    And it felt great!!

passive agressive... say?
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    good work jen
    that is great, really.

i myself just answered the phone.
    it went like this:

ring, ring, ring.
    i look at caller i.d.
    long view, washington
    ### ### ####
    by now the answering machine has answered the call
    and i am saying hello at same time as i am walking to the answering machine
    to stop the recording and the machine is all staticy screaching thru the phone into our ears.
    finally i can clearly hear this.

caller: chad ?
    me: no chad isn't here
    caller: oh ok i'll call back later
    me: who is this
    caller: blah blah with the barack obama campaign
    and i was just wondering if he got his election ballot
    and if he didn't here is a number he can call
    and that number is....(firmly interupting)
    me: yeah dude he had his election ballot
    caller: oh, ok, great
    do you know what direction he went?
    me: uh NO
    caller: oh... ok, thank you for.......
    me: click...the end (phone noise hanging up = click)

beings i was kinda goofy from a few pulls off of a cigarette
    at first i thought he was asking me what direction chad went beings i wasn't home. (meaning where is chad, store, library, bowling alley?)
    turns out that after about 10 minutes it dawned on me that he was asking
    if i knew what direction chad went in preference to his voting stance.

goofy ass fuckin hillbilly i am.

i must edit this:
    i was also cussing the fucker out once i hung up the phone.
    (why does this fucker give a fuck where i went)
    (i told the fucker chad wasn't home and he asks me what direction he went)
    (goofy fucker whats to know where i am, what the fuck is up with that guy)
    10 minute time lapse.
    oh, wait a minute... :D
    enlightenment ;)
    good funny stuff...
    i am an idiot...
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    chadwick wrote:
    good work jen
    that is great, really.

i myself just answered the phone.
    it went like this:

ring, ring, ring.
    i look at caller i.d.
    long view, washington
    ### ### ####
    by now the answering machine has answered the call
    and i am saying hello at same time as i am walking to the answering machine
    to stop the recording and the machine is all staticy screaching thru the phone into our ears.
    finally i can clearly hear this.

caller: chad ?
    me: no chad isn't here
    caller: oh ok i'll call back later
    me: who is this
    caller: blah blah with the barack obama campaign
    and i was just wondering if he got his election ballot
    and if he didn't here is a number he can call
    and that number is....(firmly interupting)
    me: yeah dude he had his election ballot
    caller: oh, ok, great
    do you know what direction he went?
    me: uh NO
    caller: oh... ok, thank you for.......
    me: click...the end (phone noise hanging up = click)

at first i thought he was asking me what direction chad went beings i wasn't home. (meaning where is chad, store, library, bowling alley?)

i must edit this:
    10 minute time lapse.
    enlightenment ;)
    good funny stuff...
    i am an idiot...

Yeah, aren't elections suppose to be private.........the voting part that is??
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    chadwick wrote:

i must edit this:
    10 minute time lapse.
    enlightenment ;)
    good funny stuff...
    i am an idiot...

HAHAHAHA... sounds like something I would do... "Uh yeah, he went, 40 degrees north west..."

edit: and i just hit the post count "sad"...... just an attest to the thought that i'd do something like this as well maybe
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam