Football Tailgate

Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
All Football Fans Welcomed Here!

Football + Food + Drinks = A Great Day Seeing as how we're right in the middle of the college and pro football seasons, I wanted to ask the following:

What do you make? Grill? Any good recipes? Who do you hang with? Who's your team(s)
I love to turn you on
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    how many times is the foot actually used in US Football??? seriously... it's just used to punt or the odd field goal... i'd be interested to find out why its called 'football'... i say interested but i really couldnt care... i say couldnt care i mean i'd rather have my face shaved off and a salt mask put on in its place.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
    Believe it or not, it actually starts the game!!! It's called a kickoff!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • my wife makes this Buffalo Chicken dip that is fucking great!!!!

I can get the recipe later if you need it.....but its shredded chicken breast, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, ranch dressing, and Frank's Buffalo Sauce.....she bakes it, and serves it with either Tortillas or Frito Scoops.

It's the first thing we run out of at all our football get togethers. It's kinda hard to take and make in a parking lot, but we're too poor to attend many games, so we tailgate at home, and watch them on TV.

We watch mostly College ball (Louisville / Big East fans)......if there's a big NFL game on (like this coming weekend), we'll tune in.
    "It's all happening"
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    All Football Fans Welcomed Here!

Football + Food + Drinks = A Great Day Seeing as how we're right in the middle of the college and pro football seasons, I wanted to ask the following:

What do you make? Grill? Any good recipes? Who do you hang with? Who's your team(s)

Team: Denver

Tailgated in Pitt, Buff and Det.

Seen games in Pnx, Den, Clev, Buff, Pitt, Indy, Det. And honourary mention to college stadiums in Pitt and the Wolverines of Michigan.

Obviously for driving purposes Buffalo is the closest stadium for me to get to. Which means that is the place I've been the most to watch games.

Grilling choice is smashed steak so it is nice and thin which means it cooks fast and fits on buns to make sandwiches. We bring our own beer from Canada as who wants to drink Yankee piss. ;)
    You've changed your place in this world!
    Believe it or not, it actually starts the game!!! It's called a kickoff!!!

so that one kick gave it its name?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:

Not quite, but run with it...

Truth be told, a field goal/extra point is one of the most difficult things to do in all of sports. It looks easy enough on tv...not so!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Grilling is glorious. Football is a great excuse to party early.

Brats and beer are a staple, as are burgers, occasionally steaks.

My favorite football beer currently is Terrapin Rye Pale Ale. For whatever reason it just works for me.

I like to do kabobs as well, usually the girls like chicken so we will do a few of those with beef and shrimp as well. I like to grill onions and peppers with whatever the favorite salad dressing of the moment happens to be.

I also love Sticky Fingers Tennessee Whisky barbeque sauce so if we have some good pulled pork we'll do that too. It's not really possible to roast a pig and tailgate, but wow the best superbowl party ever.

For the record dunkman, I don't think it matters what kind of football it is, some good grilled food and a pint before a match is pretty much a little slice of heaven.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • when you hit the postseason.....Chili is a must!!!!!
    "It's all happening"
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    dunkman wrote:

For someone who stated that they couldn't care less you certainly ask a lot of dumb questions about it. Personally, I don't give a fuck what it's named and/or what you think of it. Isn't there some Rugby thread you should attempt to be funny in? ;)..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    Not quite, but run with it...

Truth be told, a field goal/extra point is one of the most difficult things to do in all of sports. It looks easy enough on tv...not so!!

Nothing like a rugby kick for points from the sideline. :rolleyes: Just a tad tougher then the old field goal in North America.
    The Champ wrote:
    For someone who stated that they couldn't care less you certainly ask a lot of dumb questions about it. Personally, I don't give a fuck what it's named and/or what you think of it. Isn't there some Rugby thread you should attempt to be funny in? ;)..

nice answer cockteeth... :D
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    dunkman wrote:
    how many times is the foot actually used in US Football??? seriously... it's just used to punt or the odd field goal... i'd be interested to find out why its called 'football'... i say interested but i really couldnt care... i say couldnt care i mean i'd rather have my face shaved off and a salt mask put on in its place.

It's American and they're haphazard use of the English language, nuff said.

I love the sport but dont "tailgate"(I live in the UK, have no passport, probs not welcome in the US even if I had)although I could use this as a new term for frivolous activities with the missus from now on.;)

Favourite team is the Packers.

A regular in the pub I work has asked for us to hold a superbowl party, we told him he has to get at least 50 people to attend it(no chance) but if a miracle happens I will be "working" it.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    My friends and I make different things each week (or try to). We always have hot dogs and hamburgers, but we try new stuff on occasion. There are some standard items though: Bertrams stadium mustard, a football, loud music, and lots of drinks.

My teams are Ohio State, Cleveland Browns, and I've tailgated for Bears games and have grown to be a Bears fan (when they are playing anyone other than the Browns)

This is when tailgating is fun September- Early Nov.
    Just incase the "other side of the pond" don't quite get taligating. It is like a warm up before a big football match, except it isn't done in a pub. And you get the same amount of asshats who can't handle their booze.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I only getto go to the stadium and do it for a couple games a year now that i don't live in my teams hometown but i always try to make it. I went up to see a Jets game this year (the only game we have won against miami) and i'm going to go see the South Carolina play Florida on Nov 10th

Gamet time 7:45pm. Gotta be at the tailgate site no later then 10:30am

Usually bring a little grill for burgers and dogs. We go buy a ton of BBQ pork from this BBQ joint near buy and have BBQ pork sandwiches. Also we will get 100 wings to have too. Plus chips and dip.

Start off with bloody mary's in the morning, move to beer for the afternoon, and a few stiff liquor drinks before going into the game.

We are getting a stuffed gator to Burn at our tailgate spot this year for the Florida game.

i'm pretty pumped about it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    dunkman wrote:
    nice answer cockteeth... :D

Thanks, :)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football

it developed from Rugby Football they just never changed the name after they developed the foward pass.

It's not a big deal really.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • It's American and they're haphazard use of the English language, nuff said.

I love the sport but dont "tailgate"(I live in the UK, have no passport, probs not welcome in the US even if I had)although I could use this as a new term for frivolous activities with the missus from now on.;)

Favourite team is the Packers.

A regular in the pub I work has asked for us to hold a superbowl party, we told him he has to get at least 50 people to attend it(no chance) but if a miracle happens I will be "working" it.:)

Nice choice for your favorite team btw. :D
    intodeep wrote:
    I only getto go to the stadium and do it for a couple games a year now that i don't live in my teams hometown but i always try to make it. I went up to see a Jets game this year (the only game we have won against miami) and i'm going to go see the South Carolina play Florida on Nov 10th

Usually bring a little grill for burgers and dogs. We go buy a ton of BBQ pork from this BBQ joint near buy and have BBQ pork sandwiches. Also we will get 100 wings to have too. Plus chips and dip.

Start off with bloody mary's in the morning, move to beer for the afternoon, and a few stiff liquor drinks before going into the game.

We are getting a stuffed gator to Burn at our tailgate spot this year for the Florida game.

I may make it to that game, my buddy lives in Columbia. The fairgrounds are a phenominal place to tailgate. I always have fun.

Before they made all these Rule changes, no matter the game time we would be at the tailgate spot in Athens no later than 7:45 AM.
  • intodeep wrote:
    I only getto go to the stadium

funny typo...being from ATL and all.
    "It's all happening"
    my wife makes this Buffalo Chicken dip that is fucking great!!!!

I can get the recipe later if you need it.....but its shredded chicken breast, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, ranch dressing, and Frank's Buffalo Sauce.....she bakes it, and serves it with either Tortillas or Frito Scoops.

That sounds good. Post the recipe when possible..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Nice choice for your favorite team btw. :D

Oh yes, and it has been a great season thus far, except for losing to those one dimensional Bears.:(:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    when you hit the postseason.....Chili is a must!!!!!

Two years ago when Louisville played up here it was on a Saturday night in early December...it was 10 degrees. Throw in some wind. We had this hot spicy sausage chili soup concoction that we were downing along with a bottle of brandy each. It was awesome. Stupid, but awesome. It was by far the coldest tailgate I've ever been to. And UL crushed us.
    I love to turn you on
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    dunkman wrote:

you also have to maintain footing to play. unlike soccer, you don't fall down and get to just hop back up. once the ball carrier hits the ground, play stops.

i tried :)

yeah, it makes no sense.
    even flow? wrote:
    Nothing like a rugby kick for points from the sideline. :rolleyes: Just a tad tougher then the old field goal in North America.

Always gotta be a rugby guy throwing his weight around... ;)
    I love to turn you on
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I may make it to that game, my buddy lives in Columbia. The fairgrounds are a phenominal place to tailgate. I always have fun.

Before they made all these Rule changes, no matter the game time we would be at the tailgate spot in Athens no later than 7:45 AM.

I know what you mean. I went to Athens for the South Carolina game this year and it was a lot of fun. Luckily we had a spot.

Tailgates at UGA are quite fun.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I know what you mean. I went to Athens for the South Carolina game this year and it was a lot of fun. Luckily we had a spot.

Tailgates at UGA are quite fun.

Well to be honest.........If a guy in the NFL caught the fade away in the corner of the endzone and then the kicker had to kick the extra point 20 yards back from the spot of the touchdown it would be quite a feat. Instead of wasting third down to get to the middle of the field for the "perfect" spot for the attempt. Better yet the old Doug Flutie dropkick through the uprights.

This coming from a guy who only dabbled in rugby in highschool. :)
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    intodeep wrote:

Woohoo!! Go Gamecocks!!

I think the Florida game is going to be crazy fun for tailgating. That and of course the Clemson game.
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    I was on ESPN a few years ago for our Tailgate setup at the Pats opening night game

it varies week to week with who comes and with what but at some point we've had

a crockpot with chili steak tips, burgers, dogs, sausage, chicken, steaks, ribs, etc maybe some pulled pork

tents, heaters, cases of handwarmers, a flat screen TV with a Direct TV dish

i love the tailgate... although last week with the 4 o'clock start it gave you way too much drinking time ;)
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
    Last year we had a noon game and we got to the field at 8am. There was about 25 of us. We took up quite a bit of room, so people around us were getting pissy. All of a sudden my brother in law busts open a box of 30 live lobbies straight from Maine. There was a defeated hush all around us as he held up the first two in celebration of our 930am lobsters. By 10am, everyone around us was begging for scraps.
    I love to turn you on
This discussion has been closed.