Senator Al Franken

gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
edited February 2007 in A Moving Train
Al Franken to run for Minnesota Senate seat.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,,-6416152,00.html

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Can't wait til he brings Wellstone's senate seat back to the party it belongs to!!
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • He won't win.
    All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal.
    -Enoch Powell
  • He won't win.

why not?
  • Al Franken isn't a Senator.
    "Sarcasm: intellect on the offensive"

"What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact."

Camden 5-28-06
    Washington, D.C. 6-22-08
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    I think he will win, too.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    If Al Franken and I weren't both married, I would marry him.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    hippiemom wrote:
    If Al Franken and I weren't both married, I would marry him.

i would step in before him baby!!!! ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I hope he does win, he has a quick mind and they'd be lucky to have him.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    dunkman wrote:
    i would step in before him baby!!!! ;)
    Dunky, you're holding out on those trunk polishing vids! How could I marry a man who won't even do that much for me?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    He won't win.

Ummm, MN elected a wrestler as their governor!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2019

The Case of Al Franken

A close look at the accusations against the former senator.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/07/29/the-case-of-al-franken?utm_brand=tny&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_social-type=owned&mbid=social_twitter

Franken asked to meet with Schumer, who suggested talking at his apartment in downtown D.C., in order to avoid the press. “It was like a scene out of a movie,” Franken recalled. Schumer sat on the edge of his bed while Franken and his wife, who had come to lend moral support, pleaded for more time. According to Franken, Schumer told him to quit by 5 p.m.; otherwise, he would instruct the entire Democratic caucus to demand Franken’s resignation. Schumer’s spokesperson denied that Schumer had threatened to organize the rest of the caucus against Franken. But he confirmed that Schumer told Franken that he needed to announce his resignation by five o’clock. Schumer also said that if Franken stayed he could be censured and stripped of committee assignments.

“I couldn’t believe it,” Franken told me. “I asked him for due process and he said no.”

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I really hope he gets in!  We need more like Franken. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    What was done to Franken was a joke.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    eddiec said:
    Came off (to me anyway) as a bit of a morality play by Gillibrand and others that pushed for Franken's resignation. It was like "See, the Republicans let Trump get away with anything and everything! Not us! Franken wants to act inappropriate in a picture? He gone!" 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    eddiec said:
    Came off (to me anyway) as a bit of a morality play by Gillibrand and others that pushed for Franken's resignation. It was like "See, the Republicans let Trump get away with anything and everything! Not us! Franken wants to act inappropriate in a picture? He gone!" 
    I agree, Franken’s thing happened at the worst possible time for him.  I’m not really a fan of him, but everyone deserves due process.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Americans will vote him.  They love sleazy politicians. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    eddiec said:
    Yes, a BAD joke.
    Franken is not sleazy.  Where did you come up with that one?  And please, don't tell me it was the boob thing.  I know plenty of very liberated women who make boob jokes.  Franken is very pro-women.  That whole thing was blown up bullshit.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

He’s a sleazy and wants to be overpaid
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    brianlux said:
    eddiec said:
    Yes, a BAD joke.
    Franken is not sleazy.  Where did you come up with that one?  And please, don't tell me it was the boob thing.  I know plenty of very liberated women who make boob jokes.  Franken is very pro-women.  That whole thing was blown up bullshit.
    yeah and on that very same tour that woman he pantomimed grabbing boob on actually went onstage in front of the crowd of military folks and grabbed ass of the country singer preforming at that time.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Way to bump a 12 and a half year old thread
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    eddiec said:
    Yes, a BAD joke.
    yeah and on that very same tour that woman he pantomimed grabbing boob on actually went onstage in front of the crowd of military folks and grabbed ass of the country singer preforming at that time.
    Was the country Singer asleep?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Way to bump a 12 and a half year old thread
    :) found the article and new interview Interesting enough
    Oh man, I really don't know where you came up with this.  Please explain.
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    eddiec said:
    Yes, a BAD joke.
    It's just goofy stuff people do.  Look at football players-- talk about ass grabbing, LOL
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    eddiec said:
    Yes, a BAD joke.
    But Franken didn't actually grab the woman.  What he did was dumb, sure, but the whole thing was blown out of proportion.  People like to make a big deal about little stupid shit.  People are way to fucking sensitive that way... OR just being vengeful pricks.

brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    eddiec said:
    Yes, a BAD joke.
    It's just goofy stuff people do.  Look at football players-- talk about ass grabbing, LOL
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    eddiec said:
    Yes, a BAD joke.
    But Franken didn't actually grab the woman.  What he did was dumb, sure, but the whole thing was blown out of proportion.  People like to make a big deal about little stupid shit.  People are way to fucking sensitive that way... OR just being vengeful pricks.
    But there were seven (7) other women. A total of 8 coming forward about behaviour that was not okey.

And I mean, other than him retelling the same tired two jokes in every late night show and interview, I thought he was sharp and sound. 

Well well. 
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    eddiec said:
    Yes, a BAD joke.
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    eddiec said:
    Yes, a BAD joke.
    But there were seven (7) other women. A total of 8 coming forward about behaviour that was not okey.

And I mean, other than him retelling the same tired two jokes in every late night show and interview, I thought he was sharp and sound. 

Well well. 
    Believe what you will. 

I hope Franken get elected.

edited July 2019
    A few question for those who believe Franken is "sleazy" and deserved expulsion from the Senate:  On what information do you draw your conclusion?  How much have you actually read about these incidents?  If you read a few quick blurbs or (worse) simply read a few tweets or posts on social media, you  might consider that your opinion is based on flimsy evidence.  I would suggest you take the time to read articles like the one I'll post below.  Yes, it's lengthy and take a fair amount of time to read, but isn't it reasonable to suggest one take a fair amount of time to be informed before making what very well may amount to slanderous accusations?

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303

The Case of Al Franken

A close look at the accusations against the former senator.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/07/29/the-case-of-al-franken?utm_brand=tny&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_social-type=owned&mbid=social_twitter

Franken asked to meet with Schumer, who suggested talking at his apartment in downtown D.C., in order to avoid the press. “It was like a scene out of a movie,” Franken recalled. Schumer sat on the edge of his bed while Franken and his wife, who had come to lend moral support, pleaded for more time. According to Franken, Schumer told him to quit by 5 p.m.; otherwise, he would instruct the entire Democratic caucus to demand Franken’s resignation. Schumer’s spokesperson denied that Schumer had threatened to organize the rest of the caucus against Franken. But he confirmed that Schumer told Franken that he needed to announce his resignation by five o’clock. Schumer also said that if Franken stayed he could be censured and stripped of committee assignments.

“I couldn’t believe it,” Franken told me. “I asked him for due process and he said no.”

I read this article today, pretty eyeopening.

The guy got fucked over hard.
    2 things Americans love in their politicians sleazy and them being...he nothing to offer.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2019
    2 things Americans love in their politicians sleazy and them being...he nothing to offer.
    AH, more Ameriphobia.  Okey Dokey!

No, seriously,  please explain why you believe this.

brianlux said:
    AH, more Ameriphobia.  Okey Dokey!

No, seriously,  please explain why you believe this.
    You could not be more wrong...Americans love their celebrities and that’s why they vote for dipshits like that...I am far from anti America but your politics is ridiculous anymore...look who you’re president is...another celebrity dipshit. 
    Give Peas A Chance…