Options

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed

2»

Comments

• Options
    I just loved his passion. It was raw and authentic and reminds me of the amazement and enthusiasm children have about nature before they become cynical and apathetic. I mean this in the most respectful way possible... He will be missed.
  • Options
    pacifierpacifier Posts: 1,009
    i loved steve irwin and his shows were sometimes funny as fuck and inetersting.

maybe i shouldnt ask this, but im curious and probably not the only one. he died during the making of a documentary, do any of you think this incident was caught on camera and if so would you like to see it shown on tv?? i know i would!

RIP Steve

yes, there is a video, it was given to the police. No, I would not like to see it. And I hope they never show it.

In a way I still can't believe the man is dead, he had so much life in him that I don't think he ever will die in most peoples mind.
  • Options
    Honestly, I think I would watch it, so long as it wasn't requested by his wife, loved ones that it not be shown. I don't think I would enjoy it, but I am still in a bit of disbelief and it and it is a bit like seeing the ending of a wonderful story even if it does end in sadness. I don't think it is much different than watching 9-11 footage.
  • Options
    I feel for his family and the person who had to break the news to them...couldn't imagine anything harder than telling someone their partner has passed away :o
    I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stoney G.

http://www.myspace.com/ozbeachbum

7/11/06 - Sydney 1
    18/11/06 - Sydney 3
    19/11/06 - Newcastle Baby!
  • Options
    This is so sad, even today it hasn't really sunk in. I turned on my internet this morning and there was a link to all these tributes, kinda seemed so surreal.

I would not want to see the video of the accident though. It doesn't seem right to actually watch him die :(

RIP Steve. You'll be sorely missed
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    WindNoSail wrote:
    I'm still waiting for the criticisms to start...I know someone out there is thinking they want to post something negative about this guy.

A Book came close, but she didn't pull the trigger :)

Come on, I know you are out there!

I'm here, but I'm not going to post it... out of respect for the dead, you know.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    And all this time I thought that a croc would get his ass.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    RIP to a good pirate...
  • Options
    Dude just became a legend... Stayed alive long enough to pull the barb out of his chest then died... forget about it...

I admire him for his grit and his passion and his untiring pursuit of wildlife education...

One parent - in an article I read - said that, for kids, this is akin to the deaths of JFK and Princess Di, and I suppose they are right. Kids worship this guy...

And he's going to get a State Funeral in Australia...

Legend-Making 101: Die tragically and ironically while you are still at the top of your game.
  • Options
    R.I.P. Steve
    (((HUGS))) 4 his family.
    So Sad!!

This is such a tragedy!
    No need to be void,.. or save up on life,...
    Got to spend it all,.....

"Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music." EV

1-14-95, 9-04-00, 7-01-03, 5-30-06, 10-21-06, 10-22-06, 6-17-08, 6-22-08, 8-16-08 E.V., 6-15-09 E.V., 10-28-09, 5-13-10.
  • Options
    I am still in shock!!! I always thought he would die doing his work, but this was far to soon. Thoughts and prayers for his family. He will be greatly missed.
    "F**K you, I have laundry to do" -ed
  • Options
    I just heard this this morning. It is very sad....I am sad for his family.

He lived a full and wonderful life. I wish I could do half the things he has done. At least he died doing what he loved. However, I feel so sad for his wife and children. :(
  • Options
    I'm not surprised.

One can only put themselves in precarious situations so many times before something goes wrong.

Still, you have to admire Irwin's passion. He died doing what he loved, and he was willing to take genuine risks. Its unfortunate that he should die so young, but it sure did seem like he loved what he was doing.
  • Options
    I don't think I've ever been this upset over a celebrity death. :( He was such a cool passionate person and seemed 100% real. Not many people have a heart that big. Not only was he a great soul, but he was funny and did lots of great things for the world. He was too young. I still can't beleive he's gone. Hopefully his show will get heavy rotation for years to come, and more people will be inspired by his passion for life.
  • Options
    Just heard that his last request was that the video should be aired. Apparently this was also okayed by his family. Personally I think that this request should be honoured. If it was his choice that people should be able to see this video then so be it.

If you find it distressing or offensive then just dont watch.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    Bertie wrote:

Absolutely. I certainly won't.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I'm not surprised.

One can only put themselves in precarious situations so many times before something goes wrong.

Still, you have to admire Irwin's passion. He died doing what he loved, and he was willing to take genuine risks. Its unfortunate that he should die so young, but it sure did seem like he loved what he was doing.
    Sometimes life is best lived out on the edge............
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Despite his tragic ending, I envy the life he led. I would prefer to live a short life that he did and experience all of his adventures than to live a long life of mundane work and wasted time. His life impacted and educated millions and probably had more fun in a month than most people have in a decade. I only wish his children and wife weren't in their position.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    Despite his tragic ending, I envy the life he led. I would prefer to live a short life that he did and experience all of his adventures than to live a long life of mundane work and wasted time. His life impacted and educated millions and probably had more fun in a month than most people have in a decade. I only wish his children and wife weren't in their position.

Agreed ... He seemed like a really good guy, with his heart in the right place. I don't imagine he would have too many regrets.
  • Options
    And as for the video ... I think it should be released, assuming his family wishes this, but I wouldn't watch it.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    And as for the video ... I think it should be released, assuming his family wishes this, but I wouldn't watch it.

yeah that's about it.
  • Options
    Bertie wrote:
    Just heard that his last request was that the video should be aired. Apparently this was also okayed by his family. Personally I think that this request should be honoured. If it was his choice that people should be able to see this video then so be it.

Where did you hear that? I have heard nothing about it on Australian news. And if you mean it was the last thing he said, I don't think he had time for any last words. The only thing I have heard about the video is his manager (and very good friend) had to watch it to see what happened and he said it was the hardest thing he had to do watching his friend's death again. The video shows Steve Irwin swimming above a sting ray when it stabs him with it's barb (which is an unusual reaction as a scared stingray normally swims away). Steve pulled the barb from his heart and then became unconscious nearly immediately. The police have stated that Steve Irwin did nothing to interfere with or aggrevate the sting ray, so it wasn't his antics that got him into trouble, it was just a really unfortunate and unexpected accident. If it had hit him anywhere but the heart he probably would have survived. I believe he is only about the 4th Australian to die this way.
  • Options
    pacifier wrote:
    Where did you hear that? I have heard nothing about it on Australian news. And if you mean it was the last thing he said, I don't think he had time for any last words. The only thing I have heard about the video is his manager (and very good friend) had to watch it to see what happened and he said it was the hardest thing he had to do watching his friend's death again. The video shows Steve Irwin swimming above a sting ray when it stabs him with it's barb (which is an unusual reaction as a scared stingray normally swims away). Steve pulled the barb from his heart and then became unconscious nearly immediately. The police have stated that Steve Irwin did nothing to interfere with or aggrevate the sting ray, so it wasn't his antics that got him into trouble, it was just a really unfortunate and unexpected accident. If it had hit him anywhere but the heart he probably would have survived. I believe he is only about the 4th Australian to die this way.

I heard that too, but honestly dont remember where I read or heard it. But apparently he was more concerned with his work than himself and he felt all his documentaries were important, and because of that he instructed his camera men to keep filming if anything happened to him and he wanted the documentary to be released because he didnt want his work not to be seen because of something happened to him.
  • Options
    dg1979us wrote:
    I heard that too, but honestly dont remember where I read or heard it. But apparently he was more concerned with his work than himself and he felt all his documentaries were important, and because of that he instructed his camera men to keep filming if anything happened to him and he wanted the documentary to be released because he didnt want his work not to be seen because of something happened to him.

Ok that sounds reasonable, but there is a difference between the documentary that he was working on being aired and his actual death being aired.
  • Options
    pacifier wrote:
    Ok that sounds reasonable, but there is a difference between the documentary that he was working on being aired and his actual death being aired.

Well yeah I agree, they can obviously show the documentary and not show his death. But he did apparently instruct his film crew to keep filming if he anything happened to him, not sure why though.