Options

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed

69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
edited September 2006 in A Moving Train
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/ap_on_en_tv/obit_irwin

By BRIAN CASSEY, Associated Press Writer 42 minutes ago

Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was killed by a stingray barb to the heart on Batt Reef, off the remote resort town of Port Douglas in northeastern Queensland state, his wildlife park Australia Zoo said in a statement.

Crew members aboard Irwin's boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead a short time later, the statement said.

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," John Stainton, Irwin's friend and producer, said in the statement. "He died doing what he loves best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. Crocs Rule!"

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Irwin for his work in promoting Australia through projects such as "G'Day LA," an Australian tourism and trade promotion week in Los Angeles in January.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," Downer's spokesman Tony Parkinson said.

Irwin's dedication to conservationist causes led him to become a vocal critic of wildlife hunts in Australia. The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealthy tourists in the Northern Territory following his vehement objections.

Irwin told the Australian television program "A Current Affair" that "killing one of our beautiful animals in the name of trophy hunting will have a very negative impact on tourism, which scares the living daylights out of me."

However, Irwin had also received negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at the Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his month-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken.

He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Eugene, Ore., and their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

The couple met when she went on vacation in Australia in 1991 and visited Irwin's Australia Zoo; they were married six months later. Sometimes referred to as the Crocodile Huntress, she costarred on her husband's television show and in the 2002 movie, "The Crocodile Hunters: Collision Course."

Stingrays have flat bodies and tails with serrated spines, which contain venom and can cause cuts and puncture wounds. The creatures are not aggressive and injury usually occurs when a swimmer or diver accidentally steps on one.

That really sucks. He was cool.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    i just saw that when i opened the internet (Yahoo! homepage)
    :(
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    From wiki:

Dasyatids do not attack aggressively, or even actively defend themselves. When threatened their primary reaction is to swim away. However, when they are attacked by predators or stepped on, the barbed stinger in their tail is mechanically whipped up. This attack is normally ineffective against their main predator, sharks. Humans are usually stung in the foot; it is also possible, although less likely, to be stung "accidentally" by brushing against the stinger. Contact with the stinger causes local trauma (from the cut itself), pain and swelling from the venom, and possible infection from parts of the stinger left in the wound, as well as from seawater entering the wound. Fatal ray stings, such as that which killed Australian environmentalist Steve Irwin, are rare but can occur if stings are improperly treated, sever major arteries, or are in the pelvic region or chest.

Sucks- sounds like a freak accident.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    its really sad and quite unexpected. you'd expect a risk-taker like him to maybe die of something more mundane... also his death was really unlikly... stingrays dont normally attack and dont normally sting you in the chest.
  • Options
    deep_schismicdeep_schismic Bremen, Germany Posts: 158
    I just found out this morning...geez...tis a crazy world we live in. At least he died doing what he loved, and I'm sure he's survived some close encounters before...so it was just his time. The fact that a stingray killed him though is a little uncommon.
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
    ***melbourne.19.2.2003|berlin.23.9.2006|berlin.15.08.2009|berlin.04.07.2012|berlin.05.07.2012|amsterdam 16.06.2014|berlin 26.06.2014
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I'm gutted! I loved that man. I can't believe it. Another one of the good ones has gone. Bummer.
  • Options
    brianjdbrianjd Posts: 201
    He seemed like a nice man and he had a family,,,: (
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    That's sad and weird news.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Yeah I reckon it sucks...
    he loved nature and raised heaps of awareness, but at the bottom of it all was the father of a young family which is pretty sad.

when the accident happened his wife was hiking at the other end of the country, couldnt be contacted and was uniformed for a few hours while the news filtered out through the media, which is pretty terrible
    Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,255
    its terrible news. He was such a great character.

RIP Steve, thanks for the laughs :)
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    horrible news... I thought that guy was invincible!!
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    how sad.
    ----

anyone see that ad he did for ESPN? a guy in a gators outfit comes out of the elevator and this aussie dude gives him a full blown tackle.

Very funny,
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    That makes me really sad - me and my kids have watched that a lot. He was sure enthusiastic about what he was doing.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    It it very sad to hear. :(

But did anyone else ever get kind of annoyed with how he would say every animal he came in contect with was 'beautiful'? I mean I know all of nature is beautiful in that sense but some things are just not as appealing as others. It kinda takes away from the word beautiful to apply it to everything.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    But did anyone else ever get kind of annoyed with how he would say every animal he came in contect with was 'beautiful'? I mean I know all of nature is beautiful in that sense but some things are just not as appealing as others. It kinda takes away from the word beautiful to apply it to everything.

Absolutely not! I just got more drunk! ;)

The only rule we added to this list was that at any time someone can be asked to say "Top jaw rope" three times fast, but if the person asking fucked up saying "Say top jaw rope" they'd have to drink a beer.

See Below...

Crocodile Hunter Drinking Game

While watching the Crocodile Hunter on Animal planet, each player must drink when:

- Steve says "Crikey"
    - Steve says "Croc"
    - Terri says "Steve has to be careful here" or something of that nature
    - Steve says "Forked tongue"
    - Steve or Terri gets dirty
    - Steve or terri and company jump on a croc

Each player must down a shot when:

- Steve or Terri gets bitten, scratched, etc...
    - Steve shows a wound
    - Steve's dad is on camera
    - Steve or company gets snapped at by an animal
    - Steve says "Gorgeous" or "Beautiful"
    - Steve's dog is on camera

This game is guaranteed to produce maximum drunkenness in ALL players in a very short time frame. Be wary of special episodes like Steve's most dangerous encounters. This episode was on the night we created this game, and suffice it to say that we slept where we fell that night.
  • Options
    BeBeBeBe Posts: 229
    It's indeed sad...especially when my sons were literally raised on his shows..He opened so many people's eyes with his conservation passion.

I feel for his two young kids and wife...They seemed to have had a great marriage.
    Where is Lowlight?
  • Options
    69charger wrote:
    Absolutely not! I just got more drunk! ;)

The only rule we added to this list was that at any time someone can be asked to say "Top jaw rope" three times fast, but if the person asking fucked up saying "Say top jaw rope" they'd have to drink a beer.

See Below...

Crocodile Hunter Drinking Game

While watching the Crocodile Hunter on Animal planet, each player must drink when:

- Steve says "Crikey"
    - Steve says "Croc"
    - Terri says "Steve has to be careful here" or something of that nature
    - Steve says "Forked tongue"
    - Steve or Terri gets dirty
    - Steve or terri and company jump on a croc

Each player must down a shot when:

- Steve or Terri gets bitten, scratched, etc...
    - Steve shows a wound
    - Steve's dad is on camera
    - Steve or company gets snapped at by an animal
    - Steve says "Gorgeous" or "Beautiful"
    - Steve's dog is on camera

This game is guaranteed to produce maximum drunkenness in ALL players in a very short time frame. Be wary of special episodes like Steve's most dangerous encounters. This episode was on the night we created this game, and suffice it to say that we slept where we fell that night.

:p

I'll have to try that one.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    It it very sad to hear. :(

The point is Irwin found beauty in just about all of nature's creatures. I love that. Because all of nature's creatures are beautiful, in their own way. Not all will fit the popular definition or perception of beauty or cuteness; but they are all uniquely beautiful, in their own way.

In my opinion, it doesn't deminish from the word beauty, rather, it expands the perception of beauty into areas not so commonly appreciated.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    NMyTree wrote:
    The point is Irwin found beauty in just about all of nature's creatures. I love that. Because all of nature's creatures are beautiful, in their own way. Not all will fit the popular definition or perception of beauty or cuteness; but they are all uniquely beautiful, in their own way.

In my opinion, it doesn't deminish from the word beauty, rather, it expands the perception of beauty into areas not so commonly appreciated.

dude, what the hell kinda pussy post is that?

j/k, I liked it.
  • Options
    See what happens when a man shows his tender and sensitive side?:D:D

j/k
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for the criticisms to start...I know someone out there is thinking they want to post something negative about this guy.

A Book came close, but she didn't pull the trigger :)

Come on, I know you are out there!
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • Options
    BeBeBeBe Posts: 229
    NMyTree wrote:

Love to see men with a sensitive side..;)
    Where is Lowlight?
  • Options
    Im pretty upset about that.

He made interactive kid shows educating them on wildlife. He opened the largest zoo in australia. Just had his first child. Donated countless hours of wildlife preservation in other countries.. Hundres of thousands in fundraisers. This world is a better place because of him and he died far before his time.

I wasnt even crazy about his show, it was alright but i was always a corwin fan. Doesnt take away from his character though.
    06/23/2006 - Best night of my life.
    See yins in pittsburgh 2007
    Rock on steelers!

www.myspace.com/nickpc
  • Options
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    horrible news... I thought that guy was invincible!!
    temporary like achilles right?

If you tried, profound meaning could be taken from this...

terribly sad news :(
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    grandr0yal wrote:
    Im pretty upset about that.

He made interactive kid shows educating them on wildlife. He opened the largest zoo in australia. Just had his first child. Donated countless hours of wildlife preservation in other countries.. Hundres of thousands in fundraisers. This world is a better place because of him and he died far before his time.

I wasnt even crazy about his show, it was alright but i was always a corwin fan. Doesnt take away from his character though.
    Actually he had an 8 year old and a 2 year old i think.

People usually don't realize what an impact he's been making for conservationlists and environmentalists. It's not just jumping on crocodiles.

This feels like when John Ritter died but a thousand times worse :(
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    i loved steve irwin and his shows were sometimes funny as fuck and inetersting.

maybe i shouldnt ask this, but im curious and probably not the only one. he died during the making of a documentary, do any of you think this incident was caught on camera and if so would you like to see it shown on tv?? i know i would!

RIP Steve
    ...Pearl Jam, a group filled with pride, passion, and intricate musicianship. Their music is full of subtle textures, rich color, soul-searching power, imagery, and eerie dissonance.
  • Options
    This is depressing.

His shows were entertaining, informative and just plain fun to watch... He was a true character when there weren't many left in the world of wildlife documentaries... I even sorta liked his movie:)
    He'll be sorely missed.

RIP Steve...
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:

Yeah, I know but some stuff just seems gross. :p Every thing in nature is wonderous, so I know what you mean.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    That really sucks! He had a great soul. I bet he was a Pearl Jam fan. He really did alot of good in the world. He will be missed.........
    I'll be back
  • Options
    He did a lot of good AND was hilarious!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    No, I have no interest in seeing a video of Irwin's death. I would find it disturbing. Nor do I believe it should ever be made availbale to the public.