Options

Hezbollah used UN post as human shields

Rue D'AwakeningRue D'Awakening Posts: 143
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
'Hizbullah using UN post as a shield'
By JPOST.COM STAFF AND AP

Maj. Paeta Hess-von Kruedener, a Canadian UNTSO peacekeeper killed in Lebanon overnight Tuesday by an IAF missile strike on his post, wrote in an email to his former commander in the Canadian army six days before he was killed that Hizbullah was using the UN post as a human shield.

Kruedener added in the email that IAF strikes near the UN post prior to his death were "necessary" and that the IDF fire was not intentionally targeting the post.

Maj.-Gen. Louis Mackenzie, Kruedener's ex-commander, told a Canadian radio station about the email letter in an interview.

Kruedener's wife demanded Thursday to know why IAF missiles struck the UN site where her husband was stationed, despite repeated pleas by observers there to halt the firing.

Cynthia Hess-von Kruedener told reporters in Kingston, Ontario, that she believes the attack, which involved precision guided missiles, was intentional.

Hess-von Kruedener said her husband told her that the UN site had been fired upon for weeks, despite the fact that their vehicles and buildings were clearly marked.
Anti Zionism is not Anti Semitism

Most antizionists are antisemites
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    shirazshiraz Posts: 528
    'Hizbullah using UN post as a shield'
    By JPOST.COM STAFF AND AP

Maj. Paeta Hess-von Kruedener, a Canadian UNTSO peacekeeper killed in Lebanon overnight Tuesday by an IAF missile strike on his post, wrote in an email to his former commander in the Canadian army six days before he was killed that Hizbullah was using the UN post as a human shield.

Kruedener added in the email that IAF strikes near the UN post prior to his death were "necessary" and that the IDF fire was not intentionally targeting the post.

Maj.-Gen. Louis Mackenzie, Kruedener's ex-commander, told a Canadian radio station about the email letter in an interview.

Kruedener's wife demanded Thursday to know why IAF missiles struck the UN site where her husband was stationed, despite repeated pleas by observers there to halt the firing.

Cynthia Hess-von Kruedener told reporters in Kingston, Ontario, that she believes the attack, which involved precision guided missiles, was intentional.

Hess-von Kruedener said her husband told her that the UN site had been fired upon for weeks, despite the fact that their vehicles and buildings were clearly marked.

I heared it as well on some European TV station (I can't remember which one right now).
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    "That's the way..uh-huh...uh-huh...they do it...uh-huh..uh-huh..."

Ask yourself, what the hell "uh-huh..uh-huh" are you going to do about it...ba-dah..ba-dah?

Don't break this out into some crazy James Brown, kama-kazi preacher style, posessed ninja, revival scene here :D

lawdie...gawd..
  • Options
    ok.

• Options
    here's a link with the details:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060718/mideast_lebanon_UN_060716/20060718/

Amazing to actually know what's going on within the battle field.
  • Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    "That's the way..uh-huh...uh-huh...they do it...uh-huh..uh-huh..."

Ask yourself, what the hell "uh-huh..uh-huh" are you going to do about it...ba-dah..ba-dah?

Don't break this out into some crazy James Brown, kama-kazi preacher style, posessed ninja, revival scene here :D

lawdie...gawd..
    ...is he ok?
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    ok.

See how one could use a crazy but metaphorical language to defuse a potentially hostile situation?

Or am I just blowing sweet Israeli mustard gas mint treat surprise in your bedroom balcony window for you to writhe and moan in agony for hours on?

Whoa, whos right...neither at the moment. Who's wrong? both at the moment as well.
    I's a bit like groundhog day, but you get an assorted variation of 5 - 7 days jumbled around together. Weather patterns are totally independent but always similar. Funny how people and places can still remain hauntingly familiar.
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Once again proves that both sides are in the wrong... If a kidnapper holds a hostage at gunpoint, and a cop shoots the hostage trying to get the kidnapper, then the cop was in the wrong too.

Both sides are in the wrong in this conflict, and both sides should get the blame.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    See how one could use a crazy but metaphorical language to defuse a potentially hostile situation?

Or am I just blowing sweet Israeli mustard gas mint treat surprise in your bedroom balcony window for you to writhe and moan in agony for hours on?

Whoa, whos right...neither at the moment. Who's wrong? both at the moment as well.
    I's a bit like groundhog day, but you get an assorted variation of 5 - 7 days jumbled around together. Weather patterns are totally independent but always similar. Funny how people and places can still remain hauntingly familiar.

or maybe your only recourse in a situation like this is to post pretentious nothings rather than swallow an unequivocal exoneration of israel of yet another conspiracy theory.

• Options
    gee when will those hezzie guys ever learn of the true meaning of Israel?

shucks...I can see your mind, and what needs to happen inside it.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    and how does it justify a guided missle hitting that outpost killing absolutely zero hezbollah fighters? ... and if you are going to send a guided missle - why not have the decency to warn innocent people?
  • Options
    gee when will those hezzie guys ever learn of the true meaning of Israel?

shucks...I can see your mind, and what needs to happen inside it.

i rest my case.

• Options
    polaris wrote:
    and how does it justify a guided missle hitting that outpost killing absolutely zero hezbollah fighters? ... and if you are going to send a guided missle - why not have the decency to warn innocent people?

this story doesn't "justify" the accidental bombing of the outpost.
    it is in response to all the conspiracy theorists on these boards, and kofi annan, who accused israel of intentionally targeting the UN post.

and israel does have the decency to warn innocent people. that's why they've been dropping tens of thousands of leaflets over towns and cities warning people to leave and keep their distance from hezbollah members and buildings.

• Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    I've read that elsewhere too and it is a dirty, dirty trick and shitty thing for Hezbollah to do. That, however, doesn't make it okay for Israel to keep striking that area when the U.N. post had contacted them at least 10 times during the day and each time Israel said they'd stop firing in that area.

I'm beginning to wonder if Israel does in fact have grounds for some kind of action here, but war should never be an option and especially how Israel is going about this....they're killing civilians...kids...it's heatbreaking.
  • Options
    war should never be an option and especially how Israel is going about this....they're killing civilians...kids...it's heatbreaking.

war should never be an option.
    well thank god then that you live in utah and you can afford to have that outlook. but shame on israel for not waging the first war in history in which no civilians or kids are hurt. shame.

ask yourself something- if hezbollah is such a great benefactor for the lebanese people, with its schools and its rebuilding of damaged buildings, and since hezbollah has built hundreds of bunkers and tunnels throughout s. lebanon in the past 6 years, why didn't they also build bomb shelters for the people they are claiming to protect?

• Options
    this story doesn't "justify" the accidental bombing of the outpost.
    it is in response to all the conspiracy theorists on these boards, and kofi annan, who accused israel of intentionally targeting the UN post.

and israel does have the decency to warn innocent people. that's why they've been dropping tens of thousands of leaflets over towns and cities warning people to leave and keep their distance from hezbollah members and buildings.

ok ... so, these precision guided missles that they've been touting the past 2 weeks aren't so accurate??

so, the wife and UN secretary general are all conspiracy theorists? ...

i guess all those calls to tell them to stop weren't enuf to prevent this ... the fact hezbollah were around or using the area as a shield has absolutely no bearing on why a missle was sent into that outpost ...
  • Options
    couple of things....first of all, Khofi Annan is an asshole. He personally benefited by gaining millions of dollars from the oil for food programs. He's as corrupt of an individual as any so I have a hard time believing one goddamn thing that comes out of his mouth. Don't get me wrong, I believe the U.N. is (or at least can be) a great thing and we need to be an active part of that.

Secondly....sure, Israel is giving warning. They're telling people to leave but they're bombing the runways and the main roads out. It's awfully disturbing....the rhetoric they're using. Israel need to back the fuck off and use diplomacy. Bombing and killing makes everyone a loser in this. Even I fucking know that and I'm no expert on foreign policy, ffs.
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    ok ... so, these precision guided missles that they've been touting the past 2 weeks aren't so accurate??

i guess all those calls to tell them to stop weren't enuf to prevent this ... the fact hezbollah were around or using the area as a shield has absolutely no bearing on why a missle was sent into that outpost ...

no, the UN secretary general is just a useless hypocrite wanker with the blood of millions of africans on his hands. his very existence is the world's misfortune.
    if you can accuse israel of not warning people to get away from the fighting, that means you were completely unaware of the much reported-on fact of israel dropping thousands of leaflets on lebanese towns and cities. if you're that clueless, maybe you might not know all the facts behind an IAF operation, either.

• Options
    couple of things....first of all, Khofi Annan is an asshole. He personally benefited by gaining millions of dollars from the oil for food programs. He's as corrupt of an individual as any so I have a hard time believing one goddamn thing that comes out of his mouth. Don't get me wrong, I believe the U.N. is (or at least can be) a great thing and we need to be an active part of that.

Secondly....sure, Israel is giving warning. They're telling people to leave but they're bombing the runways and the main roads out. It's awfully disturbing....the rhetoric they're using. Israel need to back the fuck off and use diplomacy. Bombing and killing makes everyone a loser in this. Even I fucking know that and I'm no expert on foreign policy, ffs.

for 6 years israel tried to use diplomacy, tried to get lebanon and the UN to enforce resolution 1559. nobody cared or did anything while hezbollah not only refused to comply, but doubled its arsenal of rockets and missiles and dug in along the border. the most recent kidnapping of 2 israeli soldiers is not the first incident of its kind since then, either. in the fall of 2000 hezbollah kidnapped and murdered 3 other soldiers. hezbollah has proven that it was never just created to expel the israelis from southern lebanon. its ideology is textbook khomeinism. enough is enough.

• Options
    no, the UN secretary general is just a useless hypocrite wanker with the blood of millions of africans on his hands. his very existence is the world's misfortune.
    if you can accuse israel of not warning people to get away from the fighting, that means you were completely unaware of the much reported-on fact of israel dropping thousands of leaflets on lebanese towns and cities. if you're that clueless, maybe you might not know all the facts behind an IAF operation, either.
    What say you about the fact that the U.N. contacted Israel at least 10 times that day and each time Israel said they would stop firing in that area, only to hit the post in question directly with "precision guided missiles?"
  • Options

everyone knows of the leaflets - can you explain how they are relevant in this scenario?? ...

you can channel your hate for kofi annan but it still doesn't change what happened ... there is still absolutely no justification for the bombing ... when you come up with one - then share it ... until then - feel free to continue to call me whatever you want - it matters not to me ...
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    everyone knows of the leaflets - can you explain how they are relevant in this scenario?? ...

you can channel your hate for kofi annan but it still doesn't change what happened ... there is still absolutely no justification for the bombing ... when you come up with one - then share it ... until then - feel free to continue to call me whatever you want - it matters not to me ...

as i said before, and just maybe this time you'll understand, it was an accident. not intentional. an accident does not need to be justified. unintentional actions, by definition, cannot be justified. let go of your sanctimonious bullshit for five seconds to internalize this simple logic.

the leaflets are relevant to the extent that they disprove your earlier accusation that israel isn't warning the innocents in a location before it is bombed.

• Options
    polaris wrote:

If Hizbullah is using the UN people as their human shields (which they are, according to that UN solider), and Israel is fireing towards Hizbullah ==> there is a big possibility the UN guys will get hurt.

I have nothing to say about the wife (her husband died, lets give her a break), but about the UN secretary general - like someone wrote here, he is dishonest, hypocrite, corrupt and a VERY stupid man with lots of personal interests. These words of one of his soliders prove once and for all Israel didn't "deliberately attacked those UN soliders", like Anann insisted to calim for some reason before even checking the facts first.

And no, I'm not justifaying their death, just accusing the UN secretary general for being an irresponsible lier.
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    And no, I'm not justifaying their death, just accusing the UN secretary general for being an irresponsible lier.
    I'm glad we can agree on something here. He is in fact a liar and a political dirtbag. He's unfortunately got his own interests in mind and I have no idea what those might even entail.

However, no one has responded to my question about why Israel cannot live up to their word when promised at least 10 times on the day of the strike in question to stop firing in that location. Here's the link if anyone doesn't know what I'm referring to. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5217176.stm
  • Options
    I'm glad we can agree on something here. He is in fact a liar and a political dirtbag. He's unfortunately got his own interests in mind and I have no idea what those might even entail.

However, no one has responded to my question about why Israel cannot live up to their word when promised at least 10 times on the day of the strike in question to stop firing in that location. Here's the link if anyone doesn't know what I'm referring to. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5217176.stm

And I have to ask this - if Hizbullah is knowen for a long time for holding the UN guys as a human shields in that area, then why the hell the UN officials did not move them out of there? I mean really, they couldn't help / supervising anyone even if they wanted to, and the risk of staying in that same location was clearly too high, so why did the UN officials decided to keep them there?
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    shiraz wrote:
    And I have to ask this - if Hizbullah is knowen for a long time for holding the UN guys as a human shields in that area, then why the hell the UN officials did not move them out of there? I mean really, they couldn't help / supervising anyone even if they wanted to, and the risk of staying in that same location was clearly too high, so why did the UN officials decided to keep them there?

Damn you sound like our Prime Minister....
  • Options
    shiraz wrote:
    I dunno....it kinda seems to me that the U.N. might want this war. Fuck. Now I can't trust anyone.
  • Options
    I dunno....it kinda seems to me that the U.N. might want this war. Fuck. Now I can't trust anyone.

Do you know what? Now is my turn to *assume* things. I think that was the reason why Anan lied and said right from the stat Israel did it on purpose - He wanted to cover his ass, and what's better way to do so than "shifting the flames" towards the most convenient target of all: Israel, the world's "favorite". It worked.
  • Options
    givebloodgiveblood Posts: 15

Consider the nations who probably DO want a war ... The member nations of the UN, who use this body's considerable resources to harass Israel with resolution after resolution. You know, at risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, it wouldn't be all that surprising.
  • Options
    giveblood wrote:
    Consider the nations who probably DO want a war ... The member nations of the UN, who use this body's considerable resources to harass Israel with resolution after resolution. You know, at risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, it wouldn't be all that surprising.
    Well, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. It's so discouraging though....to think that we'll never know the truth behind a lot of this and it's never as simple as good vs. bad or right vs. wrong. Goddamn human race is so out of control.