Options

what do you think of a presidential aptitude test?

2»

Comments

• Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    ...intellectually lazy--as evidenced by the fact that he doesn't read newspapers or watch news.

I could posit that people who read newspapers and watch news are intellectually lazy! But I won't....

What I will say is Bush has made his position about the media well known.
    http://journalism.nyu.edu/pubzone/weblogs/pressthink/2004/04/25/bush_muscle.html

A reporter says to the president: is it really true you don’t read us, don’t even watch the news? Bush confirms it.

And the reporter then said: Well, how do you then know, Mr. President, what the public is thinking? And Bush, without missing a beat said: You’re making a powerful assumption, young man. You’re assuming that you represent the public. I don’t accept that.

Which is a powerful statement. And if Bush believes it (a possibility not to be dismissed) then we must credit the president with an original idea, or the germ of one. Bush’s people have developed it into a thesis:

We don’t accept that you have a check and balance function. We think that you are in the game of “Gotcha.” Oh, you’re interested in headlines, and you’re interested in conflict. You’re not interested in having a serious discussion… and exploring things.

----

So I would say, let's add, "Please describe the role of the media" to our apptitude test!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

So, from what I gather, you'd rather have slick, articulate, "educated" leaders rather than one with convictions. Ill vote for convictions and steadfast beliefs over appearances and impressions every day.
    I'm just taking a wild stab here... based solely upon the words you type out here... but, I'm guessing your voting is primarily motivated by the "(R)" next to the name on the ballot. To vote for anything else would not make you a team player at best... a terrorist loving America-hater at worst.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    hailhailkchailhailkc Posts: 582
    Byrnzie wrote:
    What does being 'articulate, and educated' have to do with appearances and impressions? If you're 'articulate, and educated' then you're 'articulate, and educated'. End of.

Haven't you ever met or known someone who was articulate and educated...but then you came to find out that their personal life was an utter disaster zone? Bad marriage, bad finances, etc. Articulate and educated doesn't always qualify someone as the right candidate, or even as the best candidate. Just like talking slowly and having a Texas accent doesn't always mean that someone is mentally lacking either.
    MOSSAD NATO Alphabet Stations (E10)
    High Traffic ART EZI FTJ JSR KPA PCD SYN ULX VLB YHF
    Low Traffic CIO MIW
    Non Traffic ABC BAY FDU GBZ HNC NDP OEM ROV TMS ZWL
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Cosmo wrote:
    I'm just taking a wild stab here... based solely upon the words you type out here... but, I'm guessing your voting is primarily motivated by the "(R)" next to the name on the ballot. To vote for anything else would not make you a team player at best... a terrorist loving America-hater at worst.

Unfortunately, I too like you have been more or less forced to pick the lesser of two evils, rather than "the best man".

And Im just taking a wild stab here, based soley upon the words you typed out above, that you regularly make inncorrect assumptions about people you don't understand based upon nothing but what you already had in mind from the onset. To not do so would make you a closet conservative at best, or a terrorist killing hillbyilly at worst :p
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    hailhailkc wrote:
    Haven't you ever met or known someone who was articulate and educated...but then you came to find out that their personal life was an utter disaster zone? Bad marriage, bad finances, etc. Articulate and educated doesn't always qualify someone as the right candidate, or even as the best candidate. Just like talking slowly and having a Texas accent doesn't always mean that someone is mentally lacking either.

What he said. Well put hhkc. :)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    Cosmo wrote:

Party Identification is the number one predictor of the vote in America. Also, strength of partisanship and political knowledge are highly (and independently) correlated. This is widely accepted in Political Science. Does your "accusation" have a more underlying point to it? or was that it?

As far as the "terrorist loving blah blah blah," you really need to give it a rest. You accuse yourself of this much more often than anyone on the right.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    acutejam wrote:
    A reporter says to the president: is it really true you don’t read us, don’t even watch the news? Bush confirms it.

And the reporter then said: Well, how do you then know, Mr. President, what the public is thinking? And Bush, without missing a beat said: You’re making a powerful assumption, young man. You’re assuming that you represent the public. I don’t accept that.

Which is a powerful statement...So I would say, let's add, "Please describe the role of the media" to our apptitude test!

This is pretty interesting, considering that I'm convinced that the gov't actually controls the media. So, by Bush saying that he doesn't accept the reporter representing the public, he's absolutely correct. Because the public doesn't get much voice. Only the progressive mags/newspapers report the real stuff that the corporate news does not.
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    Jeanwah wrote:
    This is pretty interesting, considering that I'm convinced that the gov't actually controls the media. So, by Bush saying that he doesn't accept the reporter representing the public, he's absolutely correct. Because the public doesn't get much voice. Only the progressive mags/newspapers report the real stuff that the corporate news does not.

You do realize that 50% of the public doesn't know which party controls the House of Rep? Christ, I can flip a coin and be as informed. These are the people that don't vote. The large majority of the other voters filter the messages that they hear: liberals read progressive magazines while conservatives listen to Rush Limbaugh. The public does have a voice. Those that don't vote, don't care. And the rest of us selectively choose our news sources.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    You do realize that 50% of the public doesn't know which party controls the House of Rep? Christ, I can flip a coin and be as informed. These are the people that don't vote. The large majority of the other voters filter the messages that they hear: liberals read progressive magazines while conservatives listen to Rush Limbaugh. The public does have a voice. Those that don't vote, don't care. And the rest of us selectively choose our news sources.

did you say that those that read Rush Limbaugh care?
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363

It's no secret that the news sources are biased, but the gov't does control what gets on the news in general. When was the last time you've seen a U.S. soldier's casket? You haven't, because it's not allowed in the media. Against the law, controlled by the gov't. Why? Because to air caskets and personal stories of the soldiers would make the war real. What you don't see, you don't know, and that's the way the media's controlled.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    It's no secret that the news sources are biased, but the gov't does control what gets on the news in general. When was the last time you've seen a U.S. soldier's casket? You haven't, because it's not allowed in the media. Against the law, controlled by the gov't. Why? Because to air caskets and personal stories of the soldiers would make the war real. What you don't see, you don't know, and that's the way the media's controlled.

The state house is never subjected to fact checks and then double fact checks....it is taken as the truth by the media everytime. If you offer a dissenting view, you must first go through a fine tooth comb, and then be slandered as fringe or radical....this is how we treat our free speech. Yeah, go ahead say it but we will do everything in our power to keep you from being taken seriously. The uneducated masses won't even notice.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    melodiousmelodious Posts: 1,719
    Jeanwah wrote:
    off topic, but on September 1 there will be bloodshed in Mexico City that will not be displayed at an innauguration. Sorry to drop it here, but I had to...;)
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    off topic, but on September 1 there will be bloodshed in Mexico City that will not be displayed at an innauguration. Sorry to drop it here, but I had to...;)
    http://www.counterpunch.org/ross08162006.html
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    Education and knowledge are more important than convictions. A conviction limits your ability to reason with those who don't share your conviction. A leader needs to make decisions based on knowledge which can build and expand. A conviction can only get you so far, and it closes many doors of communication along the way.
    why would it not be practical to lead the self and have an entire body of leaders in which ppl give and take? ;).

don't think je'sus had edu; but he probably had great human skills.
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    Party Identification is the number one predictor of the vote in America. Also, strength of partisanship and political knowledge are highly (and independently) correlated. This is widely accepted in Political Science. Does your "accusation" have a more underlying point to it? or was that it?

Then this is where the link should be broken...;). There shouldn't be the word "predictor" in the vote of anywhere...vote for your conscious and vote well informed. take the time to know what you're doing becasue the thieves count on ignorance....
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    I dont see how a leader surrounding himself with men he puts faith in, and men who have knowledge he can use, is a "puppet" to you. And I dont really care to show you why you're wrong. You've made your mind up, and me mine. Bush bad, terror not real, republian's evil. I get it. And yes I did read Abook's post. Did you read mine?

Find me a sucessful leader who didnt surround himself with like minded, knowledgeable people. Show me one leader, of anything, a company, a govt, a revolution, who did it all by himself.

Napoleon Bonnaparte
  • Options
    Napoleon Bonnaparte

In the end, he failed.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219

As far as the "terrorist loving blah blah blah," you really need to give it a rest. You accuse yourself of this much more often than anyone on the right.
    No... that was the point. That people will more than likely vote for the 'D' or the 'R' and not even bother to look beyond that one defining factor. They will read what they want and hear what they agree with... which is why you will see voters at the polls with that (insert your political party name here) mailer in hand advising them who to vote for and Yea or Nay on the ballot measures. That's Democracy... voting how your party tells you to vote?
    As for the terrorist loving blah-blah-blah... you ever listen to Right Wing Talk Radio? Even our own President told us... you are either for us or with the terrorists. I never knew President Bush, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Rilley and the lot were on the left.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!