Options

Religion, Oil, or Politics...which is most harmful?

SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 821
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
The world would be a much better place if you did the following things, in this order...

Rid the Earth of organized religion.
Rid the Earth of our reliance of oil to fuel are automobiles.
Completely overhaul the political process.

Of course #1 will never happen, but hopefully #2 and #3 will someday.
19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    Spartancus wrote:
    The world would be a much better place if you did the following things, in this order...

If I could have one of these "magically" happen:

Religion: I am an agnostic and I know that religion (and people using it as an excuse) has caused lots of bad. But lack of religion (as many need it to treat others well) may be just as bad.

Politics: It's bad. But if we "overhauled" it, human nature (power corrupts) would take over and eventually we'd be back where we are.

So I pick:

OIL: If we could just magically not be oil-dependant, that would be positive across the board. Certain wars would disappear. The air would get cleaner and there would be a lot of other social and economic benefits.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    The mix is certainly explosive...

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    Spartancus wrote:

#1 will soon happen...as well as the other two...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    Spartancus wrote:

Might as well respond to this too.

1. Won't happen, although we'll probably see a lot more fragmentation rather than a few monolithic world religions.
    2. will happen, and then we'll go to war on eachother for the replacement, unless the replacement is so abundant and cheap that there is no supply problem.
    3. Happens regularly and is in constant evolution anyway. It will change to meet future circumstances.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    None are harmful in and of themselves. Add to the mix human error, power issues, human ignorance, human arrogance, etc. and we find we've got problems.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Spartancus wrote:

It's not any of those that are harmful. Its greed thats harmful. Greed can run each of those.
  • Options
    zelda4everzelda4ever Posts: 138
    i dunno but mix all 3 and you get absolute death
    -Let's just say i was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. Thats all it was:just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • Options
    greed is the power behind each villan
    greed is the power behind everyone killin
    greed swallows all
    its like a wall binding us from hope
    greed is a rope everyone it will choke
    do somthing,death is begining
    -Let's just say i was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. Thats all it was:just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • Options
    What is the root of greed? Balanced, healthy people show themselves by their health and balance, not by being greedy.

Why are so many people not balanced and healthy?
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

• Options
    the root of greed my friends is misuse and overconsumption of power and wealth

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • Options
    zelda4ever wrote:
    the root of greed my friends is misuse and overconsumption of power and wealth
    Misuse and overconsumption of power and wealth is a consequence of greed. They are ways people act greedy. They are signs and symptoms of greed.

It doesn't answer why do people act greedy to begin with. Why do people need to misuse and overconsume power and wealth in the first place? What underlies such a "need"?

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    The mix is certainly explosive...

Peace
    Dan

i think this is the closest to an 'answer' as i could possibly muster for this question. none, in and of themselves, are truly 'harmful'...it's all what we choose to do with them.

edit *are...my anal-retentive nature. ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow