The new 'I f***in' feeel like talking about 'Riot Act' thread.

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited April 2011 in The Porch
Did I get there first? If I didn't, feel free to delete this mods. Ahem...

As someone who thought this album was 'meh' the first few times I listened to it, then left it for a couple of years, then got back to it THISMORNING and can't stop bugging out to it, I feel I'm qualified to begin this thread.

So here beginneth the official 'I f***in' feel like talking about 'Riot Act' thread. Fire away...
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EBowieEBowie Posts: 522
    Said it before, I'll say it again...Riot Act is the best album "production-wise" in their catalogue. Adam Kasper for Riot Act and now the New Album = good sign.
  • I threw this album to the side aswell for about a year and now im hooked on it!!!! I love riot act, i hate people on here always ripping on it, its a fantastic album,
  • c0rdur0yc0rdur0y Posts: 12
    there really isnt that much to talk about...
    the album wasnt that good.

cant keep had great momentum but went nowhere

lbc is prolly the worst song for eds singing. he sounds completely off key for most of the song. cmon that pre-chorus

bushleaguer is an overrated jumble of pollitical crap

the only songs id salvage of this piece of plastic would be 'thumbin' and 'half full' anddd maybe all or none. great mike solo there.

the rest are mostly forgettable

it is pretty evident from this album that Eddie's songbook has runneth dry.
    08.22.98*10.05.00*06.28.03*09.22.05*05.09.06*EV.08.12.08
  • YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,839
    Love Boat Captain was my favorite song on riot act when I first heard it and still is...love it! :)
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • nizmikenizmike Posts: 12
    I just spun RA all the way through and I gotta say the almbum is pretty boring. Ed sounds like he is half asleep/getting over a cold through most of the CD. To me he didn't step up the vocals until the last three tracks.

One of my least favorite PJ CD's.

Can't wait for the new album!

Mike
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,696
    gotta be honest its my least favorite album as well,not sure why but it doesnt compare to yield and binural ,i dont really dislike any pj songs .
    this just doesnt link together or flow like the others
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • c0rdur0yc0rdur0y Posts: 12
    hmmm.
    not sure if riot act is as bad as binaural...

'evacuation' anyone?

case closed.
    08.22.98*10.05.00*06.28.03*09.22.05*05.09.06*EV.08.12.08
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    Riot Act is nowhere near my favorite Pearl Jam album, but I still do like it. Save You is a decent PJ rocker, Love Boat Captain is a beautiful song and I don't think Ed sounds off key at all in it, Ghost is a cool song with a couple nice solos in it, Thumbing My Way is a nice song, You Are is cool as hell with the staccato delay effects, Get Right is another good rocker, Green Disease is fucking AMAZING. So there's some really good songs in there, and Green Disease is still one of my all-time favorite PJ songs. So I'm not as down on Riot Act as a lot of people are. But it still doesn't compare to any of the first 5 albums.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Eddie doesn't sound half as bored/uninterested on Riot Act as he does on Nothing as it Seems or Insignificance. Breakherfall is the most overproduced song they've put out. Evacuation and Rival are horrible. Yet people don't like LBC/Can't Keep/Save You/I Am Mine/Green Disease/You Are/All or None/Get Right?????? I can't believe people like Binaural over Riot Act! wow. I'm glad I think the way I do. Go Riot Act!
  • hugepjfanhugepjfan Posts: 110
    Every PJ album has a few gems, a few hardcore punk riff songs, and a couple of ballads. Riot Act, in my opinion, is fantastic. I don't compare PJ albums with each other because its pointless. All I'll say about that is Yield is my favorite. But I love Cropduster, Ghost, LBC, Save you (which is a very well written song; with tremendous passion I must add), I am mine is a very inspirational song, Ghost has amazing lyrics: "A place in the clouds, a good place to hide on my own", I mean, come on! That's awesome. "Breaking news and building walls" etc. All or none and Thumbing are the ballads, which, in my opinion, have amazing lyrics. I'm not crazy about Help Help, Get right and arc but I don't skip them (except arc). Green Disease is not great but not bad either. All in all I believe the song writing on this album is supurb and is right up there with all the other albums. But everyone is entitled to their opinions. I would suggest reading the lyrics as you listen because that way you pick up little things you may not have heard (Eddie can be muffled at times). That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. The gems on this album are Save You, LBC, and Thumbing although it could be considered a ballad as well.
    HugePJFan
    "...You try it, I give you the room, you try..."
    hugepjfan wrote:
    Every PJ album has a few gems, a few hardcore punk riff songs, and a couple of ballads. Riot Act, in my opinion, is fantastic. I don't compare PJ albums with each other because its pointless. All I'll say about that is Yield is my favorite. But I love Cropduster, Ghost, LBC, Save you (which is a very well written song; with tremendous passion I must add), I am mine is a very inspirational song, Ghost has amazing lyrics: "A place in the clouds, a good place to hide on my own", I mean, come on! That's awesome. "Breaking news and building walls" etc. All or none and Thumbing are the ballads, which, in my opinion, have amazing lyrics. I'm not crazy about Help Help, Get right and arc but I don't skip them (except arc). Green Disease is not great but not bad either. All in all I believe the song writing on this album is supurb and is right up there with all the other albums. But everyone is entitled to their opinions. I would suggest reading the lyrics as you listen because that way you pick up little things you may not have heard (Eddie can be muffled at times). That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. The gems on this album are Save You, LBC, and Thumbing although it could be considered a ballad as well.

someone back me here! Dammit, I took a while to write that:)
    HugePJFan
  • hugepjfan wrote:

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Riot Act deserves his credits also it isn't their best work. It have some great songs on it.
    HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANK YOU! I actually forgot to mention Can't Keep. It is a very good opening song but it sounds ten thousand times better on the beneroyal cd.
    HugePJFan
  • I love Riot Act!!

But I've said it before, your have to be in the right mood to listen to it :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • No love for 1/2 full?
  • covincovin Posts: 42
    Cant Keep
    Save You
    Love Boat Captain
    1/2 Full
    Thumbing My Way
    I am Mine
    All or None
    Green Disease
    You Are

All of those songs are fucking great, and they're even better live.

Anyone who disagrees will be swiftly dedacted from this mortal realm.
    No love for 1/2 full?
    1/2 is ok on the album but much better live. I like the part at the end right after Eddie says "won't someone save the world" and stone goes into his little solo there. Stone's part there is emphasised more when they play it live. very awesome
    HugePJFan
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I love this album. I think it is definitely a great work of art. For me some great songs are
    You Are (especially live) - One of my favorite live PJ songs in general
    Cropduster
    Ghost
    I Am Mine
    Get Right
    Save You
    1/2 Full
    I also love Bushleaguer live. Its ok on the album, but live it is a serious rocker with potential for a GREAT jam at the end.
    Lately I've even begun to love LBC, which I didn't for a looong time.
    Also the rest of the album is for the most part very good. I think this one definitely holds its own among the rest of the PJ albums.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Listening to this album right now its fucking awesome. I was kind of spacing out while it was on, and heard the music and was like, wow fucking good. It was Ghost. I really, really love this album. Cropduster too. And I Am Mine - fucking classic!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • DeniDeni Posts: 233
    Ok. I had to pop Riot Act in the CD player. This thread's got me goin! :D

I personally love Riot Act! If I was going to list my favs in order RA would come in at #3 Right after Vitalogy and Vs.

You Are is my favorite song on the album. It rocks on the album and live!
    Can't Keep is ok. I like it enough.
    Save You rocks!
    Cropduster is awesome. I can't believe so many people don't like that song. :(
    Get Right rocks!
    Green Disease is AWESOME!
    1/2 Full is AWESOME and possibly my second fav on the album.
    All or None is beautiful.
    Help Help is my lest favorite.
    ARC is filler.
    Ghost is forgetable, unfortunately. And I mean that literally. I can't remember how it goes. :( lol
    Thumbin My Way is too folksie sounding for me. Too Bob Dylanish. I don't dig it. But that's just me. I can totally see why so many people like it. :)
    Bushleager is COOL! Love it. I find myself saying HELL YEAH when I listen to it.
    forgot to add Love Boat Captian. lol. That makes sense. I don't love it. lol

There... that's my opinion.
    "Ideas are bulletproof." --V

Peace and Love
    Deni
    :)
    "Love is deep, dig it out, standing in a hole alone"..."A place in the clouds, a good place to hide on my own" best songwriter of my generation i'm 27
    HugePJFan
  • My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    I'm in that boat that just picked this album up again and now I'm diggin' alot more. I loved 1/2 Full from the beginning... I think that's one of the strongest songs... love the guitars on it!

Green Disease is a great rock song... Thumbing, I Am Mine are very nice.. I actually love Cropduster I know I'm in the minority on that one. You Are is fucking BADASS!!

Yeah.. I'm into this album now... not quite No Code to me but it's growing and growing and growing on me...
    My3rdEye wrote:
    I'm in that boat that just picked this album up again and now I'm diggin' alot more. I loved 1/2 Full from the beginning... I think that's one of the strongest songs... love the guitars on it!

Green Disease is a great rock song... Thumbing, I Am Mine are very nice.. I actually love Cropduster I know I'm in the minority on that one. You Are is fucking BADASS!!

Yeah.. I'm into this album now... not quite No Code to me but it's growing and growing and growing on me...
    i love the part of 1/2 full after eddie says "won't someone save the world" and then stone does the little riff thing, its way better live
    HugePJFan
  • My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    hugepjfan wrote:
    i love the part of 1/2 full after eddie says "won't someone save the world" and then stone does the little riff thing, its way better live

Absolutely agree it is way better live. I like the one on the Showbox DVD... Mike just goes off!

Crowd: (((Mike))) (((Mike))) (((Mike))) (((Mike))) (((Mike)))

Mike: **Bows**

Ed: "Drink to that"
    My3rdEye wrote:
    Absolutely agree it is way better live. I like the one on the Showbox DVD... Mike just goes off!

Crowd: (((Mike))) (((Mike))) (((Mike))) (((Mike))) (((Mike)))

Mike: **Bows**

Ed: "Drink to that"

Yeah, the showbox 1/2 is awesome. stone solos are rare but beautiful
    HugePJFan
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I LOVE Riot Act. It's my second favorite Pearl Jam album. It needs more love!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • I thought it strange that we had to filter through the haters before we got to those who loved Riot Act, but then hey: natural selection and all that...

I want to talk about folk music: I love certain sorts of softer acousticy folk music as well as really aggrrrressive rock. What impresses me about Pearl Jam, and I'm getting to Riot Act, is that they seem to do both equally stunningly well: I mean 'Thumbing My Way' and 'All or None'? Where's the love for these two? I don't know any other bands (except for maybe Counting Crows) who do loud and soft songs which are equally classic.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    I thought it strange that we had to filter through the haters before we got to those who loved Riot Act, but then hey: natural selection and all that...

I want to talk about folk music: I love certain sorts of softer acousticy folk music as well as really aggrrrressive rock. What impresses me about Pearl Jam, and I'm getting to Riot Act, is that they seem to do both equally stunningly well: I mean 'Thumbing My Way' and 'All or None'? Where's the love for these two? I don't know any other bands (except for maybe Counting Crows) who do loud and soft songs which are equally classic.
    havee you ever heard of mason jennings?
    HugePJFan
  • Riot Act was the first PJ album i bought (not that i didnt hear their other songs first)..ive always felt bad for it..sigh
    "Do you wanna hear something sick?
    We are but victims of desire
    I'm gonna shake this thing
    I wanna shake this pain before I retire"