Options

Beach for Muslim Women Planned in Italy

binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
By ARIEL DAVID
Associated Press Writer

ROME

Hotels at an Italian seaside resort are eager to act on the town's decision to authorize the creation of all-female beach sections for Muslim women, with at least one hotel owner saying Friday that plans are already under way to open the first of such secluded areas next month.

The city council of Riccione, a popular resort on Italy's Adriatic coast about 90 miles east of Florence, has said it is prepared to authorize requests to set up partitions on parts of the shoreline to satisfy requests from the town's growing numbers of Arab and Muslim tourists.

"They can have anything they want, but they can't go to the beach, at least not without all those heavy clothes," Attilio Cenni, owner of the upscale Grand Hotel des Bains, said of his female Muslim guests.

Cenni said he plans to open the first secluded section starting in September on a stretch of shoreline of about 1,000 square meters (10,000 square feet) and to expand further next season across the more isolated beaches on Riccione's outskirts.

He also plans a TV advertising campaigns in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, Cenni told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Popular with German and French tourists, Riccione's mass-tourism venues have recently started to attract thousands of Arab and Muslim visitors each year, mostly from the conservative Arabian peninsula, city officials say.

Supporters of the idea say that the separate beaches would allow observant Muslim women to shed their headscarves and long robes and enjoy the sun in privacy; religious restrictions otherwise oblige them to cover up if men are present.

"I can only be in favor of such a proposal," said Tomas Corazza, manager of the Hotel Mediterraneo. "It allows them to use the beach while respecting their traditions and their religion."

Corazza didn't have immediate plans to open a beach for Muslims this season but said he would advertise this new feature in a mailing list he sends to some 3,000 Arabs who are frequent guests at the hotel.

Cenni said he was already discussing with authorities the only snag in the proposal _ the fact that the partitions won't reach into the sea but will have to stop short of the waterline to allow public passage.

While Riccione's municipality would consider authorizing the construction of reserved seaside swimming pools, Cenni said he hopes he will be allowed to close-off the entire beach with covered partitions and have female lifeguards patrol the sea in water scooters to keep men away. In Italy, all shorelines must be accessible to the public.

"That sounds a little bit like a fantasy," said Andrea Cicchetti, a spokesman for Riccione's mayor.

But Cenni insists that if the partitions are mounted on isolated beaches the inconvenience to passers-by and swimmers will be minimal, allowing his guests to swim without having to don headscarves and robes again.

"These are areas where there is little passage and any problem could be solved with common sense and sensitivity," he said. "We want to make a beach where these ladies will be free."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    why the ! .... are you upset about this? obvioulsy their is a demand for such a beach, I don't have a problem with it.

They have nude beaches, normal beaches and now a beach for people who want to swim and not have guys starring at their tits.

This is not the end of the world, I'm sure some people will scream "this is the end of europe!" but those people are drama queens.

also I'm sure many non muslim women who want to relax without having guys looking at them will go to this area also.
    Infact I know quite a few girls who would love a beach like this.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    why the ! .... are you upset about this? obvioulsy their is a demand for such a beach, I don't have a problem with it.

They have nude beaches, normal beaches and now a beach for people who want to swim and not have guys starring at their tits.

This is not the end of the world, I'm sure some people will scream "this is the end of europe!" but those people are drama queens.

also I'm sure many non muslim women who want to relax without having guys looking at them will go to this area also.

First and foremost, who in the hell said I was upset with this????? Oh, you!

But, this is coming to a town near you!!
  • Options
    First and foremost, who in the hell said I was upset with this????? Oh, you!

But, this is coming to a town near you!!

I think it is a good idea...lets those women who stay to their faith (although I do not get it) to have privacy...to me its as harmless as women only gyms....
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I think it is a good idea...lets those women who stay to their faith (although I do not get it) to have privacy...to me its as harmless as women only gyms....
    Can we get men only taverns again. I've never figured out why the one is sexist and the other isn't.

Mostly it depends if the beach counts as public property. If it is it should be open to everyone.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    Can we get men only taverns again. I've never figured out why the one is sexist and the other isn't.

Mostly it depends if the beach counts as public property. If it is it should be open to everyone.

lol...Do you want a male only tavern...? I sure don't see the need...:)
  • Options
    binauralsounds, I never said you were upset, I simply asked if you were, seeing that you used an exclamation mark which kinda came off as you having some sorta strong feelings about this. But you do seem upset now.
  • Options
    will muslim countries set up special beaches for westerners so that the women can wear bikini's?
  • Options
    will muslim countries set up special beaches for westerners so that the women can wear bikini's?

HAHAHAHAH!! OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    lol...Do you want a male only tavern...? I sure don't see the need...:)

I haven't said to my mates in the pub, "look at the package on that guy", in a long, long time. Maybe it is time for all male taverns again? :)

As for the story. They still don't pray together in some parts of the world. This just makes sense if you want to make money from the people who have it. It amazes me they can stay in the same room long enough to copulate!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    Muslim women's beaches are great places to pick up chicks with mustaches.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options

They do have one, in dubai.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    MrBrian wrote:
    You're absolutely right! Most of the women and girls I know would LOVE to have a place like this to go. They all started out at a regular health club and have all switched to women-only gyms because the thinner ones are sick of getting gawked at, and the heavier ones are sick of getting laughed at ... a beach would be great!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    because the thinner ones are sick of getting gawked at, and the heavier ones are sick of getting laughed at ... a beach would be great!

and the ones that never get looked at always bitch because they never get any attention :D
  • Options
    rockrock Posts: 51
    Great idea! Just imagine how liberating this must be for these women. I remember seeing a picture in the newspaper a couple of years ago of a muslim woman happily jumping around in the sea with husband and child, she was wearing a long raincoat and headdress! I felt delighted at her creativity and sad at the same time because she couldn't really enjoy the waves like you would not being hindered by clothes.

Anyways just put yourself in that woman's position...and imagine a beach like that..magic
  • Options
    OpenOpen Posts: 792

Go to Dubai...
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    they should outlaw beaches, so that muslim women arent tempted by the infidels and their Beach Boy attitude ;)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad