Options

"80 Iraneans or 80 People"

AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
edited September 2006 in A Moving Train
I was telling the details of this mornings plane crash - when the new guy in our office stopped me after I said 80 people died..

he asked 80 people or 80 Iraneans
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Tell him they were trying to enrich some uranium on the plane to avoid US detection and watch him run with the story.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Abuskedti wrote:
    I was telling the details of this mornings plane crash - when the new guy in our office stopped me after I said 80 people died..

What did you say?!

I don't think I'd know what to say to that.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    the PR campaign is working well!
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    hippiemom wrote:
    What did you say?!

"both".....
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    What did you say?!

My eyes opened wide.. I wrote the quote on a sticky and asked him to sign it.. which he did after a little prodding.

I didn't say much at all. looked around the room ..

he said, "they still are the enemy right?" then tried to explain that he was a marine for 6 years.. you can't think of the enemy as people...

I asked if he was in combat..

he wasn't.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    Easy.

Tell him it was 80 Native Americans. Then everyone can rest their minds:rolleyes:
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Abuskedti wrote:
    My eyes opened wide.. I wrote the quote on a sticky and asked him to sign it.. which he did after a little prodding.

I didn't say much at all. looked around the room ..

he said, "they still are the enemy right?" then tried to explain that he was a marine for 6 years.. you can't think of the enemy as people...

he wasn't.
    Excellent response! :)

There are all sorts of snappy retorts if I think about it for a few seconds, but I know if someone said that to me I'd be so flabbergasted I wouldn't be able to think of any of them.

We've never been at war with Iran, so how on earth do Iranian civilians become the "enemy"??? Or is it just brown people in general?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    "both".....

Very well done.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Abuskedti wrote:

he wasn't.

excellent comment!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    We've never been at war with Iran, so how on earth do Iranian civilians become the "enemy"??? Or is it just brown people in general?

Groan ...
  • Options
    Abuskedti wrote:

That is pretty darn disgusting.
  • Options
    That is pretty darn disgusting.

I was and am disgusted. He has only been here a week or so, and I have to help him move in today.. he is on crutches and I volunteered.

I guess I'm ok with helping him, but I am disgusted and really wonder about a guy that can say that. He doesn't seem to have any remorse with the comment either.
  • Options
    Abuskedti wrote:
    I was and am disgusted. He has only been here a week or so, and I have to help him move in today.. he is on crutches and I volunteered.

I guess I'm ok with helping him, but I am disgusted and really wonder about a guy that can say that. He doesn't seem to have any remorse with the comment either.

This sort of thing clearly is just racist ignorance ... I don't know if it would be worthwhile to bring up the subject with him, get at his beliefs a bit in hopes of changing them.
    What he said is on par with those people in Middle Eastern countries who danced in the streets on 9-11 ... I wonder how he'd feel about that comparison?
  • Options
    Sneak away with his crutches, than we'll see how big a man he is when he can't walk.
  • Options
    Sneak away with his crutches, than we'll see how big a man he is when he can't walk.

Sounds like the two of you would get along then.
  • Options
    This sort of thing clearly is just racist ignorance ... I don't know if it would be worthwhile to bring up the subject with him, get at his beliefs a bit in hopes of changing them.
    What he said is on par with those people in Middle Eastern countries who danced in the streets on 9-11 ... I wonder how he'd feel about that comparison?

I don't know.. this guy travelled as a marine for 6 years and graduated college. Ignorance is too easy an excuse.
  • Options
    Sounds like the two of you would get along then.

Dork
  • Options
    Abuskedti wrote:
    I don't know.. this guy travelled as a marine for 6 years and graduated college. Ignorance is too easy an excuse.

Well, there is no correlation between racism and intelligence, unfortunately. The long and the short of it is that people in the Middle East have been the U.S. military's primary opponent since 1990 or even before. Maybe his training has induced a bias.
  • Options
    Abuskedti wrote:

There are two types of ignorance: passive and active. Sounds like this guy is opting for the latter.
  • Options
    Abuskedti wrote:

What you should do. Is after you move with him. See if he has a computer and if he does.....................tell him you like the band PJ and that you heard that they have a pretty good board. Then turn him on to this thread. :)

If you are going to go through with that plan, let me know. I will call him a few choice names for him to read. Of course I will delete this entire post so he dosen't know it was/is a set-up. ;)
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    What you should do. Is after you move with him. See if he has a computer and if he does.....................tell him you like the band PJ and that you heard that they have a pretty good board. Then turn him on to this thread. :)

If you are going to go through with that plan, let me know. I will call him a few choice names for him to read. Of course I will delete this entire post so he dosen't know it was/is a set-up. ;)

*sigh*

circle of life.
  • Options
    *sigh*

circle of life.

Sorry! It is Friday and I feel like having a widdle bit of fun.
  • Options
    so which was it, people or iranians? ;)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    so which was it, people or iranians? ;)
    :D
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední