Options

Slander/Libel

AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
I did a lot of research on this before.

Slander in it's written form is Libel.

The laws concerning Libel are typically held to the publisher and are the jurisdiction of the publisher's state. So, in this case forums.pearljam.com is the publisher (Ten Club). The Administrative Contact is Tim Bierman. Who would most likely be contacted and charged in a libel case. However, since Ten Club takes appropriate steps to stop libel it would not be held accountable. By a far stretch of the law, and with a lot of money. Someone could have an individual poster charged with libel, I believe it's happened before.

One more detail comes into play when attempting to charge an individual. That is, we don't know who they are, unless they publish their real name and real identity. It's only the virtual identity of the person being slandered that is actually being harmed. That really has no chance in court. It's too bad too, because I was really going to have someone charged.
I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    its a nice day today.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    its a nice day today.

It certainly is, a bit hot for my liking, but at least it's not winter yet. :)
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I'm glad our laws are written in a way that makes it very, very difficult for an anonymous message board poster to sue another anonymous message board poster for libel. If you are that affected by what someone you don't even know has to say about who they think you are (ie your net persona) it may be a sign that it is time to stop posting on said board.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    I'm glad our laws are written in a way that makes it very, very difficult for an anonymous message board poster to sue another anonymous message board poster for libel. If you are that affected by what someone you don't even know has to say about who they think you are (ie your net persona) it may be a sign that it is time to stop posting on said board.

Well, I think we all know it's wrong and hopefully try not to do it.

Also, it should be noted that slander isn't slander if the accusations are correct. It's only slander if proven false.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Also, it should be noted that slander isn't slander if the accusations are correct. It's only slander if proven false.

An important point often over-looked by those who like to scream " Slander" and "Libel" :D
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Ahnimus wrote:

Also I think it's only slander/libel if it's demeaning or degrading to you're character and false.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Ahnimus wrote:

I agree.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Also I think it's only slander/libel if it's demeaning or degrading to you're character and false.

Yea, true, it'd be hilarious to see someone fighting an accusation that they are "smart and funny" though.
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Yea, true, it'd be hilarious to see someone fighting an accusation that they are "smart and funny" though.

People are so retarded sometimes ;)
  • Options
    brianjdbrianjd Posts: 201
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I did a lot of research on this before.

Slander in it's written form is Libel.

The laws concerning Libel are typically held to the publisher and are the jurisdiction of the publisher's state. So, in this case forums.pearljam.com is the publisher (Ten Club). The Administrative Contact is Tim Bierman. Who would most likely be contacted and charged in a libel case. However, since Ten Club takes appropriate steps to stop libel it would not be held accountable. By a far stretch of the law, and with a lot of money. Someone could have an individual poster charged with libel, I believe it's happened before.

One more detail comes into play when attempting to charge an individual. That is, we don't know who they are, unless they publish their real name and real identity. It's only the virtual identity of the person being slandered that is actually being harmed. That really has no chance in court. It's too bad too, because I was really going to have someone charged.

Thanks for the research project.I did some research on the subject as well. It's called Law School. Libel, to be actionable, really requires monetary damage. Even if you can make a case that an individual has made a false defamatory statement, Libel requires damage. You have no claim, especially against the board since the board does not utter the statement.
    Id gladly defend the board against a libel claim from someone who uses this place to espouse their own political agenda in theory. In that event I would gladly give out my name and number to anyone who needs defense against a bogus Libel claim.
    Irvine 1992, Las Vegas 1993, Mountain View 1994, San Diego 1995, Los Angeles 1996, Los Angeles 1998, Moutain View 1999, San Bernadino 2000, Los Angeles 2000, Irvine 2003, Irvine 2003, Moutain View 2003, Santa Barbara 2003, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006, Santa Barbara 2006