Options

Somebody shoot me

AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
I have to fight back lauging at this headline

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The reigning Miss Deaf Texas died after being struck by a train, officials said.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Abuskedti wrote:

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The reigning Miss Deaf Texas died after being struck by a train, officials said.

I just said the same thing to some people in my office after seeing that.

It shouldn't be funny, but it is.
  • Options
    holy crap that is funny.
    "Bombs dropping down. Please forgive our hometown"
  • Options

Tara Rose McAvoy, 18, was walking Monday near railroad tracks when she was struck by a Union Pacific train, authorities said.

A witness told Austin television station KTBC the train sounded its horn right up until the accident occurred.

McAvoy, who had been deaf since birth, won the state title in June and represented the state "with dignity and pride," state pageant director Laura Loeb-Hill told The Associated Press via e-mail Monday night.

McAvoy was to represent Texas at the Miss Deaf America pageant this summer, Loeb-Hill said.

McAvoy graduated last year from the Texas School for the Deaf, attended Austin Community College and then started at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C., in January, but had returned to Texas, Loeb-Hill said.
  • Options
    stephduhstephduh Posts: 13
    i admit its funny but that really is horriable.i dont understand though, shes deaf..not blind. i just dont understand how you cant possiably see a train, or feel the ground shaking for that matter.
  • Options
    hailhailkchailhailkc Posts: 582
    This isn't funny, and I get no amusement out of it at all.
    MOSSAD NATO Alphabet Stations (E10)
    High Traffic ART EZI FTJ JSR KPA PCD SYN ULX VLB YHF
    Low Traffic CIO MIW
    Non Traffic ABC BAY FDU GBZ HNC NDP OEM ROV TMS ZWL
  • Options
    mad22mad22 Posts: 82
    stephduh wrote:
    i admit its funny but that really is horriable.i dont understand though, shes deaf..not blind. i just dont understand how you cant possiably see a train, or feel the ground shaking for that matter.

That's really good point, so weird....
    Egos are left at the door, elitism is non-existant and we are all joining together for a common goal: to raise funds and awareness while living the awesome life of a Pearl Jam Fan.

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org/
  • Options
    mad22 wrote:
    That's really good point, so weird....

I don't like walking near the road with headphones - you don't have to be deaf to know its dangerous to walk on train tracks..

freaky crazy.
  • Options
    hailhailkc wrote:
    This isn't funny, and I get no amusement out of it at all.

Not even this line:

A witness told Austin television station KTBC the train sounded its horn right up until the accident occurred.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I find it hard to even express how it pains me to disagree with Abu and agree with hailhailkc ......

but no, I didn't find this funny.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    I find it hard to even express how it pains me to disagree with Abu and agree with hailhailkc ......

:) I know its not funny.. that is why I am seeking help - it made me laugh. Maybe its just been a hard day.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    that's the meanest thing to ever make me giggle. then i felt bad. but seriously... wtf was she doing that close to the tracks?
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:

HA! Now THAT is funny!!! :)
    Low Traffic CIO MIW
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    that's the meanest thing to ever make me giggle. then i felt bad. but seriously... wtf was she doing that close to the tracks?

she was probably just walking along, minding her own business, in her own little world maybe?? there's nothing funny about this. i saw a video once of a woman getting hit by a train. it wasn't pretty and it sure as hell didn't make me chuckle. poor girl.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    she never heard it coming.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    LMAO!!!

You guys are all going straight to hell!!
    :D
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    LMAO!!!

You guys are all going straight to hell!!
    :D

No sir...I didn't laugh. Neither did hippiemom. ;):D We're going through the Pearly Gates.
    Low Traffic CIO MIW
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    ha...I was wondering if this story was mentioned in the Moving Train!

I spoke to some deaf friends recently who knew this young lady.

She was on her sidekick talking to her mom who was working, letting her know she was on her way over to see her.

It was said that she wasn't ON the track, just too close and the train came too fast for her to probably finally paying attention to the vibrations on the grounds.

They also said the deaf students have been walking by the tracks FOR years... and it was just really an unfortuate accident.

I, myself, orginially wondered if it was suicide because as a deaf person, I can feel the train coming.

But then I realized, with a sidekick which is a very popular communication device in the Deaf community, can easily distract one from feeling anything, even for a moment.

Really sad. :(

I know this is really old news, but they still talk about her.

It really sucks, because not very many deaf people are that interested to be involved in politics and Tara was one of them.

She had so many goals and had plans for her future.

Would have been nice to kick Marlee Matlin out of her spotlight and have someone like Tara taking over and making a REAL difference.

What a sad and wasted life.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    yotan18yotan18 Posts: 103
    brain of c wrote:

you're the one who made me laugh.

didn't laugh at the first post though.

but, it's really weird. at least, you will FEEL that a train is coming. you can see it. or was she that unlucky that she saw no one who's at least trying to point at the train or warn her at least???
    "The Day of Redemption is at hand! Repent, and thou shall be saved..." - A. Ventura

"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie" - T. Montana
    ---
    "Yeah i know... sounds stupid." Aldrin said.

#18 INC forever
  • Options
    yotan18yotan18 Posts: 103
    sorry. i posted without even reading the 2nd page. now, its more sad to hear who at she was, rather than a one-liner head line.

im sorry, but what is a sidekick?

again, im sorry i kind of laughed at brain of c's comment.
    "The Day of Redemption is at hand! Repent, and thou shall be saved..." - A. Ventura

"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie" - T. Montana
    ---
    "Yeah i know... sounds stupid." Aldrin said.

#18 INC forever
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I feel terrible, but I laughed.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    yotan18 wrote:
    sorry. i posted without even reading the 2nd page. now, its more sad to hear who at she was, rather than a one-liner head line.

im sorry, but what is a sidekick?

again, im sorry i kind of laughed at brain of c's comment.

https://www.wirefly.com/sOnePager.asp?referringdomain=WireflyIMAP&oflag=sof1&zipcode=10005&refcode1=googlesidekick&refcode2=&eid=&agent=&carrierid=59&phoneid=24264

I know no one would have laughed if they knew who she was.

It's just how it works in this world, I guess.

I'm not surprised that Marlee Matlin said nothing in public since this news was all over the world, but then again she knows the majority of the deaf people hates her. I don't know.

I'd say 95-98 percent of her fans are HEARING.

Anyway, back to Tara... yeah, I'm sure they are more concerned about this happening again. But I have NOT heard anything about that...what can be done.

Lights on the train? Wouldn't work if it was bright in the day.

I know there was a system that was in process of obtaining (or should I say, an attempt to create one) for the deaf/hard of hearing for their pagers when they were on the road... and alerting them if there was a traffic, tornado warning, weather severe warning that they couldn't hear on the radio while driving.

I am not sure if this system has been developed yet and it was 5 years ago that I heard of this.

However, there are alerts from weather.com for your local and it can be downloaded to sidekicks.

so...I don't know if anything like that can be done for trains to pass alerts for local people to know it's coming?

maybe i should....I'm an unemployed computer programmer. :D

but I have no experience with embedded software (working with hardware programming).
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    you gotta wonder. If you're deaf you should know enough not to be stopeed on the tracks. If you are, you are extra alert to what's coming and going. those daylight hi beams are quite visible. It was a sucessful suicide attempt probably
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    Abuskedti wrote:

You're an evil person. How can you find that funny?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    you gotta wonder. If you're deaf you should know enough not to be stopeed on the tracks. If you are, you are extra alert to what's coming and going. those daylight hi beams are quite visible. It was a sucessful suicide attempt probably

She wasn't ON the tracks.

Many deaf students walk by the same tracks all the time.

Like it was said, she was looking down and talking on her sidekick.

We are always extra careful when we are out and about, especially on streets and driving.

I thought maybe it was a suicide, but after talking to friends and people who knew her said it wasn't possible because there was no sign of depressions or anything. She was doing what she wanted to do and working on her goals.

And that she was telling her mom she was on her way over.
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    brain of c wrote:
    You never fail to make me laugh. :)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad