Prisons at Center of Damning Report on U.S. Human Rights

AbookamongstthemanyAbookamongstthemany Posts: 8,209
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
July 12, 2006

OneWorld.net
See: http://www.commondreams.org

Prisons at Center of Damning Report on U.S. Human Rights

By Haider Rizvi

UNITED NATIONS - Rights advocacy groups in the United States are calling for the United Nations to take note of the gross human rights violations being committed in their country.

A coalition of human and civil rights organizations Monday sent a 465-page report to a key United Nations committee, which details ongoing abuses of human rights across the United States.

The "shadow report" comes at a time when the Geneva-based UN Committee on Human Rights is about to complete its findings on human rights abuses in the United States.

The UN inquiry into the United States' human rights conduct is part of a review process that takes place every four years for countries that have ratified the International Convention on Civil and Political Rights, also known as the "International Bill of Rights."

As a signatory to the treaty, the U.S. government is bound to respond to the Committee's questions on human rights. The official U.S. response to the UN inquiry is due next week.

Rights groups say the Bush administration is expected to defend its human rights record, as it did in the past in response to the UN findings on torture, which called in February for the closure of the Guantanamo Bay prison camp.

"It's time for the United States to own up to its responsibility and acknowledge its patterns of human rights violations," says Tonya McClary of the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC), a Quaker human rights group, which is part of the coalition that prepared the report for the UN.

The report documents various forms of human rights abuses in the United States, which include police brutality, abuse of immigrants, racial discrimination, and the use of torture in prisons.

"Prisons are one of the largest growth industries in the United States," according to the AFSC. With only five percent of the world's population, the U.S. holds about 25 percent of the world's prison population.

"The principle offender is the prison system," says McClary, who co-authored the report, entitled, "In the Shadows of the War on Terror: Persistent Police Brutality and Abuse in the United States."

"Because prisons are a closed system, operating in secrecy, the public does not comprehend the extreme forms of abuse, violence, and racism practiced daily behind bars."

The report, which is a rebuttal to the official U.S. response to the UN committee, documents many cases of unjustified police shootings, use of excessive force, extraction of coerced confessions, rape, strip searches, and racial and gender profiling.

Immigrants face sexual and physical abuse when they are detained at the borders and airports and immigration laws fail to respect their right to due process, according to the authors of the "shadow report."

In the report, the rights groups also explain how racism was associated with the authorities' failure to protect the victims of Hurricane Katrina, many of whom are still deprived of the right to participate in the rebuilding process and access to basic facilities.

Questioning the judicial practices and prison conditions in the United States, the report cites several cases of human rights violations such as the sentencing of children to life without parole, shackling pregnant female prisoners, limitation on prisoners' access to courts, lack of healthcare, and rape and discrimination against minorities.

In a statement, the coalition accused the U.S. State Department of trying to sidestep the UN process on the question of ongoing human rights abuses in the United States and described its behavior as "a systematic pattern" of ignoring international human rights obligations.

"Far from being out of the ordinary," says McClary, "or an aberration--which is the image painted by the Bush administration--prison abuse and the use of torture in the United States is frighteningly widespread."

The human rights violations, as pointed out in the report, also refer to the use of electric stun belts, grenades, and guns; tethers; waist and leg chains; air tasers; and restraint hoods, belts, and beds.

Prisoners, according to the report's findings, can be held in long-term solitary confinement and extreme isolation in severely confined spaces with little or no daily contact for days, weeks, months, or even years. Sexual assault of female prisoners is common.

The report submitted to the UN Committee represented the views of more than 140 U.S.-based groups and 32 prominent individual activists.

The groups likely to testify before the UN Committee include the American Civil Liberties Union, Global Rights, Lawyer's Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, the International Women's Rights Action Watch, Minnesota Advocates for Human Rights, Center for Reproductive Rights and Justice Now.
If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
-Oscar Wilde
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Maybe we should pay all those felons who committed crimes against society reparations for their time spent. !!! Prison abuses arent unknown, they are accepted. Who's gonna cry for a rapist/burglar/murderer? Not me.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

"Prisons are one of the largest growth industries in the United States," according to the AFSC. With only five percent of the world's population, the U.S. holds about 25 percent of the world's prison population.

i am wondering if "land of the free" is was ever applicable in reality?

or if it ever will be?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,528
    my2hands wrote:
    i am wondering if "land of the free" is was ever applicable in reality?

or if it ever will be?

I'm free. Maybe it is because I don't kill people, rape people, steal, buy/sell drugs, assault people.

Do you hate yourself? I mean, you're an American. You live here. You obviously hate it here. Only something you hate will you bash this much. And I know you're going to come back, "You fucking conservatives think we all are unpatriotic, but in fact are more patriotic than you blah blah blah." You hate this country, be honest with yourself. You're post says it all. When you think that jailing murderers, rapists, thieves, and drug pushers is a bad thing.
  • Options
    I'm free. Maybe it is because I don't kill people, rape people, steal, buy/sell drugs, assault people.

Do you hate yourself? I mean, you're an American. You live here. You obviously hate it here. Only something you hate will you bash this much. And I know you're going to come back, "You fucking conservatives think we all are unpatriotic, but in fact are more patriotic than you blah blah blah." You hate this country, be honest with yourself. You're post says it all. When you think that jailing murderers, rapists, thieves, and drug pushers is a bad thing.

I don't think have a problem with jailing certain offenders, it's the treatment they are receiving inside those jails I object to. Does being convicted of a crime make you even less than an animal?
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025

Actually it's only some murderers, rapists, thieves, and drug pushers/users hat go to jail, mostly in areas that people don't care about. The funny thing is that in the Northern states the racial difference in jails is worse than in the south!
    Secondly, as a conservative, do you get mad, complain, or not listen when Eddie spouts liberal stuff? Do you hate Pearl Jam, or does it make you a fan who can like the music but hate the message? How is that different than what Abook thinks about the US...she like's the idea of democracy, but hates the current messages of hate, sexism, racism, classism, homophobia, etc. that exist in the world. Just b/c you disagree with something doesn't mean you hate it, at least Abook speaks up for what she sees as unjust actions and attempts to intervene - even if only on a messageboard.
  • Options
    melodiousmelodious Posts: 1,719
    I don't think have a problem with jailing certain offenders, it's the treatment they are receiving inside those jails I object to. Does being convicted of a crime make you even less than an animal?
    Hi book
    I just took a friend to court the other day. He was convicted for growing herb and sentenced to 16 mos in SQ. When publicity is made about certain issues; i tend to compare publicity topic as i do sale items in the store. I mean whenever there is a sale on things, it usually means the prices is gonna be set a bit higher. I appreciate how you try to put out a great deal of awareness and wanted to say so. For me, I am predictin that it won't be long until these "secured housing facilities" f*kn prizns whatever you wanna call cages for humans, will built on corporate land. Soon we won't have to talk about outsourcing and all these things that are important becasue we'll be bitching that all commerce and jobs will be streamed to dept of corrections. People don't wanna see the truth and people can't imagine how other people may be capable of allowing this to happen, but it can and may be sooner than I have feared. Cost of gas will command transportation costs and soon it will be considered a wise move to house inmates on plantation type scenarios in the name of justice. Well I would rather see hard-core offenders and all the bad working hard with no life or priveleges, but not in cages; and I wonder how my friend who is a farmer and only farmed for his crime can be wrangled in with all the mass feared hardened criminals. In my state, mexterminator says we need to build more prizons. In my state, pit bulls maybe come regulated. In my state, people sell land out like their pimps sell ho-bags on a saturday night. So cheers to you, book. So many others your age would be chilling and worrying about frivilous b.s. like their nail appt's or a date at a gym. You are always here, trying to invoke some thought and I for 1 tip my dunce cap off to ya....!!!!! thank you for your diligence, book. thank you for your efforts.

I talk about my friend who is spending 16 mos in SQ for growing cannabis, becasue I feel that he is a non-violent victim of war on drugs. So many people misinterpet actions of others. Sometimes we just don't understand what and why others do what they do, but not all people in prison are there becasue they are bad. Many have been wrangled in a stereotypical group by labeling of officials in their communities. Egoic mind is what I am trying to say. People in official places are humans with egos..one human flaw is to allow our egos to over-rule the difference between right and wrong..

Let's put it this way, book. Whenever I see a truck with convservation corps inmates being transported; i flash my lights, honk my horn and give them the peace sign. One good kindness deserves another. keep infecting the planet the way you do, book; a mind is a terrible thing to waste....cheers!!!!!
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    melodious wrote:
    Hi book
    I just took a friend to court the other day. He was convicted for growing herb and sentenced to 16 mos in SQ. When publicity is made about certain issues; i tend to compare publicity topic as i do sale items in the store. I mean whenever there is a sale on things, it usually means the prices is gonna be set a bit higher. I appreciate how you try to put out a great deal of awareness and wanted to say so. For me, I am predictin that it won't be long until these "secured housing facilities" f*kn prizns whatever you wanna call cages for humans, will built on corporate land. Soon we won't have to talk about outsourcing and all these things that are important becasue we'll be bitching that all commerce and jobs will be streamed to dept of corrections. People don't wanna see the truth and people can't imagine how other people may be capable of allowing this to happen, but it can and may be sooner than I have feared. Cost of gas will command transportation costs and soon it will be considered a wise move to house inmates on plantation type scenarios in the name of justice. Well I would rather see hard-core offenders and all the bad working hard with no life or priveleges, but not in cages; and I wonder how my friend who is a farmer and only farmed for his crime can be wrangled in with all the mass feared hardened criminals. In my state, mexterminator says we need to build more prizons. In my state, pit bulls maybe come regulated. In my state, people sell land out like their pimps sell ho-bags on a saturday night. So cheers to you, book. So many others your age would be chilling and worrying about frivilous b.s. like their nail appt's or a date at a gym. You are always here, trying to invoke some thought and I for 1 tip my dunce cap off to ya....!!!!! thank you for your diligence, book. thank you for your efforts.

I talk about my friend who is spending 16 mos in SQ for growing cannabis, becasue I feel that he is a non-violent victim of war on drugs. So many people misinterpet actions of others. Sometimes we just don't understand what and why others do what they do, but not all people in prison are there becasue they are bad. Many have been wrangled in a stereotypical group by labeling of officials in their communities. Egoic mind is what I am trying to say. People in official places are humans with egos..one human flaw is to allow our egos to over-rule the difference between right and wrong..

Let's put it this way, book. Whenever I see a truck with convservation corps inmates being transported; i flash my lights, honk my horn and give them the peace sign. One good kindness deserves another. keep infecting the planet the way you do, book; a mind is a terrible thing to waste....cheers!!!!!

Awww Mel! If you weren't 3,000 miles away from me I would hug you so tight....that definitely made my day! :):):)

I do try to do what I can but I always feel like it's never enough...I imagine you feel the same. I hate the thought of sooo many in prison with mandatory minimums for something so small as simple possession or even growing. If they had it their way they would lock up just about all of the youth...at least the disadvantaged ones....somebody's gotta speak up for them. It just ain't right.

ps....you are a truly open and beautiful person. we are lucky to have you here among us. <3

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Awww Mel! If you weren't 3,000 miles away from me I would hug you so tight....that definitely made my day! :):):)

I do try to do what I can but I always feel like it's never enough...I imagine you feel the same. I hate the thought of sooo many in prison with mandatory minimums for something so small as simple possession or even growing. If they had it their way they would lock up just about all of the youth...at least the disadvantaged ones....somebody's gotta speak up for them. It just ain't right.

ps....you are a truly open and beautiful person. we are lucky to have you here among us. <3
    Book do you read Henry Giroux and Lawrence Grossberg??? If not I think you'd like their writings on the abandonment and demonization of youth. Also though I agree mostly rather than speaking up for the disadvantaged, I would hope to speak up WITH kids, the disadvantaged, and the others left behind by corporate capitalism after all they are the one's experiencing the pain and suffering created by the inequities inherent in American neoliberalism.
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:
    Book do you read Henry Giroux and Lawrence Grossberg??? If not I think you'd like their writings on the abandonment and demonization of youth. Also though I agree mostly rather than speaking up for the disadvantaged, I would hope to speak up WITH kids, the disadvantaged, and the others left behind by corporate capitalism after all they are the one's experiencing the pain and suffering created by the inequities inherent in American neoliberalism.

I have some Giroux (although unread) but not Grossburg. I'll have to check them out. We are bad about buying more books than we can possibly read. Thanks for the suggestions.:) If you haven't already, I would like to recommend William Morris, I think you would really like his views on social revolution. cheers!

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    I will defnitely look him up. If you are interested I have tons of .pdf'd articles by Giroux, McLaren, Kincheloe, Grossberg, Searls, etc. on this type of stuff, and they are shorter than books...hehe. Right now I am studying for my comprehensive exams...talk about having more books that I could possibly read!!! Haha...that's why I like this board though I can try out some things that I have been learning and like to see how well they stand up in (un)reasoned debate.
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:
    I will defnitely look him up. If you are interested I have tons of .pdf'd articles by Giroux, McLaren, Kincheloe, Grossberg, Searls, etc. on this type of stuff, and they are shorter than books...hehe. Right now I am studying for my comprehensive exams...talk about having more books that I could possibly read!!! Haha...that's why I like this board though I can try out some things that I have been learning and like to see how well they stand up in (un)reasoned debate.

I would like to check them out very much! Thank you :) Good luck with your exams.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    I'm going to pose a question and any of you posting on this thread must answer...Have you ever spent time in jail and/or prison?

My answer is yes I have spent time in jail...go
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    denverfan wrote:
    I'm going to pose a question and any of you posting on this thread must answer...Have you ever spent time in jail and/or prison?

jail is not the same thing as prison, but i've been held in a jail cell for 8 or so hours before...
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    jail is not the same thing as prison, but i've been held in a jail cell for 8 or so hours before...[/QUOT

Yeah thanks for that...The only difference between jail and prison is the time which will be spent either or...same thing...keep going...
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

• Options
    melodiousmelodious Posts: 1,719
    denverfan wrote:

does beign a wife of an inmate count?and to further my thought, i was wondering which side of those bars substantiates "spent time in jail and/or prison? i mean a screw spends time in prison, doesn't he/she????
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    denverfan wrote:

no, i try to avoid doing things that would put me there. and i have no idea where you're going with this.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

well thanks for attacking me because you do not agree with me... this must go over well in face to face debates/discussions you have... typical loud mouth that doesnt address the issue, you just attack anyone that you do not agree with...which shows me that you are unable to discuss this topic in any detail

i think it is startling and very alarming that we house nearly 25% of the worlds prison population, i guess you dont have a problem with it...and just assuming you are a conservative i would also assume that the massive amounts of tax $ that goes into this frustrates you as well?

and by the way, i work in the legal system, so i have a point of reference on this subject

i really hope you enjoy paying to house drug addicts :)
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah, and I expect the UN will do almost as much about any of these percieved violations as they have in Rwanda, China, Cambodia, North Korea, Somalia, and Sudan........and so on and so forth.

The UN as a forum is great. The UN as an attempt at world government is a miserable failure. Sure it's good they can exert some political pressure. But change only comes when individual countries act. Just as nothing changes in this country unless groups of impassioned individuals decide toegther that change needs to occur.

Some people do need to be seperated from society. Now is imprisoning non violent people really all that effective? I say no, but that's just me. I think there are better more effective ways to combat drug use.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    so basically what you're saying is...

..we're number one!
    saw things so much clearer
  • Options
    moeaholic wrote:
    no, i try to avoid doing things that would put me there. and i have no idea where you're going with this.

People here are speaking of abuses going on within the joint..just curious as to how many of you have seen the inside...You seem to speak like you know whats going on, yet never seeing the inside? Just a question.

• Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    so basically what you're saying is...

..we're number one!

That made my day
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V