Options

When Saddam gassed the Kurds, what did the U.S. do?

YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,840
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
This is a well-written blog entry by Eric Black of the Mpls Star Tribune.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/bigquestion/?p=192

The trial of Saddam Hussein has now moved to consideration of his biggest, most despicable crime, the Anfal, or the massacre of the Kurds. It was a major genocide, tens of thousands of victims, perhaps a hundred thousand, mostly civilian, whole villages wiped out.

Dropping chemical weapons from aircraft was only one of many methods of Kurd-killing between 1986 and 1989, but it became the shorthand for the whole contemptible campaign, even for Saddam’s whole quarter-century of savagery.

“Saddam Hussein is a man who is willing to gas his own people,” Pres. George W. Bush said on march 22, 2002, he he built the case for regime change by means of war.

Most of us, I suspect, would like to believe that our great nation is a moral force in the world, spreader of democracy, friend to the oppressed, scourge of the genocidal dictator. There are serious historical problems in applying this fairy tale, to this case, starting with this fact, which is seldom mentioned in the coverage of the trial:

Saddam Hussein was an ally of the United States before, during and after the Anfal.

Saddam started a war with Iran in 1980. Because of U.S. emnity with Iran, the Reagan Administration “tilted” toward Iraq in 1981. In 1982, the State Department removed Iraq from its list of state sponsors of terrorism.

In December 1983, Donald Rumsfeld, then a special presidential envoy, met with Saddam in Baghdad and told him that the United States wanted to resume full diplomatic relations. Saddam agreed. During the Iran-Iraq war, the United States provided Saddam with military and economic aid. Some of the forms of aid are summarized in this Star Tribune story by your future Big Questioner, which ran on the eve of the current war.

It was still the middle of the Iran-Iraq war, and the heyday of the U.S.-Iraq alliance, that Saddam began systematically slaughtering the Iraqi Kurds to punish them for the rebellions against his rule. The most famous attack was the gassing of Halabja, a mostly Kurdish city near the Iranian border, on March 16, 1988. Rebel Kurds, working with Iranian troops, had taken the town a few days earlier. The gassing, which killed an estimated 5,000 Kurds, was part of the successful Iraqi counterattack.

The genocide continued after the war with Iran had ended. The United States publicly condemned Iraq’s use of chemical weapons, but never suspended its aid programs to Saddam.

From the next portion of my own effort to deal with this unpleasant history, I outlined one senator’s unsuccessful effort to punish Saddam for the massacres:

U.S. Sen. Claiborne Pell, D-R.I., horrified at the attacks on the Kurds, got the Senate to unanimously adopt the Prevention of Genocide Act, which would end U.S. subsidies, U.S. purchases of Iraqi oil and ban the export to Iraq of technology that would help advance its weapons programs.

Still seeking to maintain its relationship with Iraq, and mindful that U.S. farmers and U.S. corporations were making a lot of money selling to Iraq, the White House opposed the sanctions.

One internal State Department memo put the tradeoff between ethical, political and economic considerations this way: “Human rights and chemical weapons use aside, in many respects our political and economic interests run parallel with those of Iraq.”

The Prevention of Genocide Act died in the House.

In 1989, President George Bush opposed a second stripped-down Iraq sanctions bill right up to the day that Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990. Within hours of the invasion, the bill passed 416-0 and Bush, by executive order, imposed a total embargo on Iraq and a freeze on Iraqi assets in the United States.

The story of what Saddam did to the Kurds is heart-breaking and will be retold in the phase of his trial just under way. May the opportunity to prove their case bring some measure of comfort to the survivors. Jefferson said “I tremble when I reflect that God is just.” May the Butcher of Baghdad so reflect and so tremble.

The story of how our country dealt with the crimes when they occurred is for us to face squarely and maturely and take into account in whatever way each of us chooses. History is not a fairy tale.
No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    They were poor
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    This will show us what kind of trial Saddam is getting when they discuss this atrocity.

He can always say the US was behind him the entire time, so for all intents and purposes he was acting according to internationl law. Since Washington pretty much is decides international law at this point.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    I saw an article about where in 1980 Saddam came to the city of Detroit, MI. Apparently he was given the Key to the City in a ceremony.

http://www.wndu.com/news/032003/news_19147.php

Our history with him is rather cloudied, at best. This was before all of the gassing and WMD stuff, but still, rather odd.

Anyway, I'm listenign to Camden NJ #2 from Mem Weekend. What memories....
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    The whole thing is one huge clusterfuck. It's disturbing that we are causing so much trouble over there and people want us to leave, but we're building permanent bases. Would the next President simply pull out after that type of investment?
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    They did nothing ... What's the point? It was still Saddam Hussein's actions. What's that movie called, with Tom Cruise ... Minority Report? Yeah, that's what the U.S. should have done!
    :)
  • Options
    They did nothing ... What's the point? It was still Saddam Hussein's actions.

That IS the point. Now we say he's our enemy and linked to 9/11. Oh wait, he's not linked to 9/11 now, the president just told us that the other day. What a nice guy. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,672
    They did nothing ... What's the point? It was still Saddam Hussein's actions. What's that movie called, with Tom Cruise ... Minority Report? Yeah, that's what the U.S. should have done!
    :)

yes but if you aid a killer, are you not also (I can't seem to remember the word for this,i'm drawing a blank!) in the killing?
  • Options
    mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    MrBrian wrote:
    yes but if you aid a killer, are you not also (I can't seem to remember the word for this,i'm drawing a blank!) in the killing?

an accomplice?
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    The Turks have also committed atrocities against the Kurds, but somehow they have a free ride on this one.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    sourdough wrote:
    The Turks have also committed atrocities against the Kurds, but somehow they have a free ride on this one.
    Huge foreign military installations on your soil = a lot of free passes

Also see Armenians in Turkey.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    mwachsman wrote:
    an accomplice?

yes indeed, but I was thinking of another word, hmmm it's like right at the tip of my tongue. Gimme some time :)
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    MrBrian wrote:
    yes indeed, but I was thinking of another word, hmmm it's like right at the tip of my tongue. Gimme some time :)

COMPLICIT?
  • Options
    Abuskedti wrote:
    COMPLICIT?

That's it dude! boy do I need more sleep.
  • Options
    Commy wrote:
    Since Washington pretty much is decides international law at this point.
    Yes, but it varies case by case to benefit the U.S. so I say this is N/A.