How fucking sick are people

2

Comments

  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero GalaxyPosts: 17,585
    hippiemom wrote:
    I just finished that book and thought it was outstanding.

    Ahnimus ... it's an autobiography by a man who was a child soldier in Sierra Leone, and the long rehabilitation after he was rescued from the fighting by UNICEF. He tells how it happens ... he lost his family, was running for his life with some other boys, trying to avoid being recruited as a soldier by either side. He finally had no choice other than to join, or he'd have certainly died. He talks about the gradual indoctrination, how drugs were freely available to dull their senses so they'd become fighting machines, the psychological process that takes over and eventually numbs the mind to the endless brutality.

    It's a story of war, but I think you can learn a lot about what goes on in the mind of anyone who is horribly brutalized over a long period of time, as are many of the people in our own prisons.

    What you say here is true, with my short time in the military I was trained to kill. I could do it very well, I was mentally trained for war anywhere in the world. Trained so well that I was begging for a war to breakout anywhere in the world, I wanted to be there to lead my men.

    Luckly I'm completely the opposite of that kind of mentality now, however many friends of mine have never turned themselves around from that kind of mental thinking.

    Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

    *MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

    *The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)


  • hippiemom wrote:
    I just finished that book and thought it was outstanding.

    Ahnimus ... it's an autobiography by a man who was a child soldier in Sierra Leone, and the long rehabilitation after he was rescued from the fighting by UNICEF. He tells how it happens ... he lost his family, was running for his life with some other boys, trying to avoid being recruited as a soldier by either side. He finally had no choice other than to join, or he'd have certainly died. He talks about the gradual indoctrination, how drugs were freely available to dull their senses so they'd become fighting machines, the psychological process that takes over and eventually numbs the mind to the endless brutality.

    It's a story of war, but I think you can learn a lot about what goes on in the mind of anyone who is horribly brutalized over a long period of time, as are many of the people in our own prisons.

    Sounds exactly like parts of the movie Blood Diamond. The RUF.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

    http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

    (\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • it took 9 posts to get someone to blame this on the US and not the evil bastards who actually did it. That is actually surprising; I figured it would be the first post blaming bush for burning this boy.

    I don't venture into the politics boards here much, but I saw this and its damn appalling... but then again, I think as an American, I just don’t get some of the things done in other countries. I’ve heard of the ritual genital mutilation, or the honor killings, or the education of young men to hate others. (when I was in school, no one said kill the Muslims.) I think as an American, I need to look at this report as sad, messed up, horrible, and pray for this boy and his family... but I also need to realize that many Americans and others would use this as a way to spread discontent and negativity with the US involvement in Iraq.

    I get the argument that war is hell and our own guys commit crimes sometimes... but lets think about this story honestly and not use it as a way to drum up support for your cause...

    Thanks to the military guys commenting here for your service to our nation.

    - jar
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    People do sick shit all over the world. Is this better or worse than the guy from Indianapolis who threw his 4 year old out to freeze to death in the dead of winter last year? As dumb as the war is, it's not the wars fault or Bush's fault or Al Qaeda's fault that some nuts burned this kid. Some people are just fucking crazy and have no respect for life.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero GalaxyPosts: 17,585
    fraidknot wrote:
    it took 9 posts to get someone to blame this on the US and not the evil bastards who actually did it. That is actually surprising; I figured it would be the first post blaming bush for burning this boy.

    I don't venture into the politics boards here much, but I saw this and its damn appalling... but then again, I think as an American, I just don’t get some of the things done in other countries. I’ve heard of the ritual genital mutilation, or the honor killings, or the education of young men to hate others. (when I was in school, no one said kill the Muslims.) I think as an American, I need to look at this report as sad, messed up, horrible, and pray for this boy and his family... but I also need to realize that many Americans and others would use this as a way to spread discontent and negativity with the US involvement in Iraq.

    I get the argument that war is hell and our own guys commit crimes sometimes... but lets think about this story honestly and not use it as a way to drum up support for your cause...

    Thanks to the military guys commenting here for your service to our nation.

    - jar

    Sadly though stories like this has happened and IS happening as we speak 1000 times over and I was looking at the big picture as to why this could happen to this innocent child. It just bothers me to no end that it is believed that Americans or I should say American soldiers are NOT capable of such heinous acts in Iraq.

    Sadly we're trained to kill, however when your young and thrown into some hideous situations well some outlandish things can happen.

    I pray for peace in Iraq and for peace to this boy and his family. War is truly hell.

    Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

    *MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

    *The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)


  • g under p wrote:
    It just bothers me to no end that it is believed that Americans or I should say American soldiers are NOT capable of such heinous acts in Iraq.

    I admited that it happens... 1000 times over is kind of an unqualified statement... but it sure does happen. and its wrong... but its not like GW or Cheny or an American Soldier had anything whatso ever, even undirectly to do with this and its sad that the real problem isnt what people see. There are awful people out there, and someone or some nation should do something about them before it gets worse.

    jar
  • WE should all start killing people we don't like...Wow...think of how much better the world will be.....everyone killing each other...and they killed two friends...and they killed two friends...and so on....and so on....awesome...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

    http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

    (\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero GalaxyPosts: 17,585
    fraidknot wrote:
    I admited that it happens... 1000 times over is kind of an unqualified statement... but it sure does happen. and its wrong... but its not like GW or Cheny or an American Soldier had anything whatso ever, even undirectly to do with this and its sad that the real problem isnt what people see. There are awful people out there, and someone or some nation should do something about them before it gets worse.

    jar

    What...are you serious, if we had not invaded and occuppied Iraq over half a million Iraqi people would be still alive TODAY! You think every time we drop a bomb it kills only the so called enemy, innocent bystanders like alittle boy like this gets killed. We must wonder why there appears to be an endless supply of freedom fighters.

    Think for a moment...imagine the US invaded occupied, your resources taken no water, electricity your family destroyed upon suspicion of being the enemy. Would you sit by and do nothing and that same invasion would be traced right back to whomever ordered such invasion? "The Decider"

    Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

    *MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

    *The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)


  • spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    It takes a sick person to blame this on the US.

    No kidding. Who can read a story like that and still have the stomach to turn it into a political debate? Unbelievable.
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    very.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

    -Greg Dulli

  • wait a sec....who is (illegally) occupying who, and doing what again?

    Oh yeah...almost forgot...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

    http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

    (\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
    It takes a sick person to blame this on the US.
    The US government is responsible for the war. Thus by extension, they are responsible for the suffering and violence going on there.
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

    A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

    Pro-life by choice.
  • JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
    hippiemom wrote:
    I just finished that book and thought it was outstanding.

    Ahnimus ... it's an autobiography by a man who was a child soldier in Sierra Leone, and the long rehabilitation after he was rescued from the fighting by UNICEF. He tells how it happens ... he lost his family, was running for his life with some other boys, trying to avoid being recruited as a soldier by either side. He finally had no choice other than to join, or he'd have certainly died. He talks about the gradual indoctrination, how drugs were freely available to dull their senses so they'd become fighting machines, the psychological process that takes over and eventually numbs the mind to the endless brutality.

    It's a story of war, but I think you can learn a lot about what goes on in the mind of anyone who is horribly brutalized over a long period of time, as are many of the people in our own prisons.

    Which is why we here at home will also continue to suffer as more of these soldiers come home with emotional and mental damage. Their "indoctrination" will affect us all here as well. The violence, the ugliness....it will continue to be perpetuated once they return home.
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

    A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

    Pro-life by choice.
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    Juberoo wrote:
    The US government is responsible for the war. Thus by extension, they are responsible for the suffering and violence going on there.

    Right...it's not like Saddam was torturing children to extract information from their parents.
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Helping Youssif
    No aid organizations have taken up Youssif's cause at this point. CNN and CNN.com will keep you updated if this changes.


    Hope somebody does something to help this child. He's going to need a lot of reconstructive surgery and lifelong medical attention most likely.
    NOPE!!!

    *~You're IT Bert!~*

    Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    Jeanie wrote:
    Helping Youssif
    No aid organizations have taken up Youssif's cause at this point. CNN and CNN.com will keep you updated if this changes.


    Hope somebody does something to help this child. He's going to need a lot of reconstructive surgery and lifelong medical attention most likely.

    People probably are mistaking the "Help Youssif" cause for a self-help program.
  • sponger wrote:
    Right...it's not like Saddam was torturing children to extract information from their parents.

    I was waiting for someone to say this. I was going to, but refrained. No country is perfect. The American occupation is not making it any better unfortunately.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

    http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

    (\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    I was waiting for someone to say this. I was going to, but refrained. No country is perfect. The American occupation is not making it any better unfortunately.

    You mean the invasion.... The occupation is making it better considering that the country will most likely get thrown into a full blown civil war once the US leaves. The invasoin itself may have opened pandora's box, but the occupation is the only thing keeping things from getting croatian on their asses. Why can't arabs just stop treating each other like dogshit? Blaming the US will never solve any of their problems. But, if it's one's agenda to use instances like these to suit an anti-western agenda, then all power...
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    sponger wrote:
    People probably are mistaking the "Help Youssif" cause for a self-help program.

    :D Possibly! Seems a little sad that no aid organization has taken an interest in his case as yet. Although I guess they're probably already strapped.
    Be good if someone did.
    NOPE!!!

    *~You're IT Bert!~*

    Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
    sponger wrote:
    Right...it's not like Saddam was torturing children to extract information from their parents.
    The problems going on there now are far worse than the problems from Saddam's regime. Just ask the Iraqi people. They want the troops out. Never wanted them there in the first place. There was no need to forge a war on and destroy an entire country to capture a single man.
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

    A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

    Pro-life by choice.
  • Juberoo wrote:
    The problems going on there now are far worse than the problems from Saddam's regime. Just ask the Iraqi people. They want the troops out. Never wanted them there in the first place. There was no need to forge a war on and destroy an entire country to capture a single man.

    It makes me laugh when people say things like "the Iraqi people want...." Almost as much as when American politicians say "the american people want to know about..." when waging a political debate.

    Have you personally talked to Iraqis about this?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
    It makes me laugh when people say things like "the Iraqi people want...." Almost as much as when American politicians say "the american people want to know about..." when waging a political debate.

    Have you personally talked to Iraqis about this?
    No but several soldiers I've known have. Not to mention media outlets who have recorded Iraqi's comments. Are you going to tell me that you have had your head in the sand for the past several years? Do you really believe that the Iraqi people want this?
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

    A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

    Pro-life by choice.
  • Juberoo wrote:
    No but several soldiers I've known have. Not to mention media outlets who have recorded Iraqi's comments. Are you going to tell me that you have had your head in the sand for the past several years? Do you really believe that the Iraqi people want this?


    I don't have my head in the sand, and I don't believe that the Iraqi people want this. I'm sure that there are some people in Iraq (especially Shi'a) who were happy that we took out Saddam, but many who were fine with what was going on.

    From what I've hear (via the media), most people in the areas with the violence and the refugees want us out, but at the same time want to be safe. I'm not sure how safety would be accomplished on their own. But through the same media, I've heard accounts from Iraqis who aren't thrilled with the occupation, but are better off than with Saddam.

    I just thought that the blanket statement that you made was off-base like when one political party in this country says they are doing what the american people want... Iraq, like all countries are made up of individuals.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Juberoo wrote:
    No but several soldiers I've known have. Not to mention media outlets who have recorded Iraqi's comments. Are you going to tell me that you have had your head in the sand for the past several years? Do you really believe that the Iraqi people want this?

    recent poll shows 2/3 of Americans lack knowledge of Forign Politics and only a third understand US politcs. The problem is that we dont know which group the people who post to this board are in. My hunch is that most are uninformed or misinformed.

    Our actions there have killed some, and disfigured others, but not this boy and no responsible journalist would agree with it being tied to the U.S.
  • g under p wrote:
    What...are you serious, if we had not invaded and occuppied Iraq over half a million Iraqi people would be still alive TODAY! You think every time we drop a bomb it kills only the so called enemy, innocent bystanders like alittle boy like this gets killed. We must wonder why there appears to be an endless supply of freedom fighters.

    Think for a moment...imagine the US invaded occupied, your resources taken no water, electricity your family destroyed upon suspicion of being the enemy. Would you sit by and do nothing and that same invasion would be traced right back to whomever ordered such invasion? "The Decider"

    Peace

    War kills people and if it happened here people would be killed... who disputes this? You want to prevert this boys disfigurment into an anit-war thing, go for it, but it lacks substance. I dont know why peace-mongers feel the need to cling onto stories like this one as proof the US is "bad" when there are far more solid and tangible things out there.

    I think we should be in Africa stopping genocide, but the peacemongers dont really support that, they only support stopping George Bush... which helps show their true colors.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero GalaxyPosts: 17,585
    I don't have my head in the sand, and I don't believe that the Iraqi people want this. I'm sure that there are some people in Iraq (especially Shi'a) who were happy that we took out Saddam, but many who were fine with what was going on.

    From what I've hear (via the media), most people in the areas with the violence and the refugees want us out, but at the same time want to be safe. I'm not sure how safety would be accomplished on their own. But through the same media, I've heard accounts from Iraqis who aren't thrilled with the occupation, but are better off than with Saddam.

    I just thought that the blanket statement that you made was off-base like when one political party in this country says they are doing what the american people want... Iraq, like all countries are made up of individuals.

    I hope your media is not CNN, FOX, MSNBC and local media. Rupert Murdock even owns The Wall Street Journal now imagine what that news org will be like in a year.

    Sure many are fine with what's going on if you like no sewage, electricity, no running water in their 140 degree heat days, no emergency help fire medical. Absolutely if you want or need any of those services.

    Sorry to say this but there's violence ALL over Iraq.

    Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

    *MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

    *The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)


  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero GalaxyPosts: 17,585
    fraidknot wrote:
    War kills people and if it happened here people would be killed... who disputes this? You want to prevert this boys disfigurment into an anit-war thing, go for it, but it lacks substance. I dont know why peace-mongers feel the need to cling onto stories like this one as proof the US is "bad" when there are far more solid and tangible things out there.

    I think we should be in Africa stopping genocide, but the peacemongers dont really support that, they only support stopping George Bush... which helps show their true colors.

    As far as what's happening in Africa it starts with the Commander in Chief, "The Decider" oh but he's preoccupied with Iraq and then again there's not too much oil in Central Africa. I've protested on 3 occasions here in DC about what's happening in Dafur what have you started to do. It won't start with Bush.

    I've spoken to the the tragedy that happened to this boy earlier in this thread and I'll say again this would not have happened to him had we not invaded and occupied Iraq. It appears you feel war is the anwser well you get what we have here this little boy's dilema.

    When you stir up a hornet's nest things like this can and will occur.

    Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

    *MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

    *The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)


  • AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,915
    sponger wrote:
    No kidding. Who can read a story like that and still have the stomach to turn it into a political debate? Unbelievable.

    taking responsibility for the results after Shock and Awe and five years of violence and occupations is not a political debate.
  • Abuskedti wrote:
    taking responsibility for the results after Shock and Awe and five years of violence and occupations is not a political debate.



    What is it then?
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

    http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

    (\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
Sign In or Register to comment.