Options

Stars are Blind.

divinefaeriettedivinefaeriette Posts: 43
edited September 2006 in A Moving Train
Truer words were never spoken, dear Paris.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article1325440.ece

" Banksy targets Paris Hilton

'Guerrilla artist' replaces heiress's CDs in shops with doctored versions
By Claire Truscott and Martin Hodgson
Published: 03 September 2006

He has smuggled fake artwork into Tate Britain, and sprayed a vision of paradise on the Palestinian side of Israel's "security wall".

Now, the "guerrilla graffiti" artist Banksy has taken aim at the cult of empty celebrity and its current poster child, Paris Hilton.
-
The secretive artist has smuggled 500 doctored copies of Paris Hilton's debut album into music stores throughout the UK, where they have sold without the shops' knowledge.

In place of Ms Hilton's bubble-gum pop songs, the CDs feature Banksy's own rudimentary compositions. On the cover of the doctored CD, Ms Hilton's dress has been digitally repositioned to reveal her bare breasts; on an inside photo, her head has been replaced with that of her dog.

On the back cover, the original song titles have been replaced with a list of questions: "Why am I famous?", "What have I done?" and "What am I for?"

Inside the accompanying booklet, a picture of the heiress emerging from a luxury car has been retouched to include a group of homeless people.

In another shot, Ms Hilton's head has been superimposed on a shop window mannequin beneath a banner reading: "Thou Shalt Not Worship False Icons."

Instead of Ms Hilton's own compositions, the replacement CD features 40 minutes of a basic rhythm track over which Banksy has dubbed Ms Hilton's catchphrase "That's hot!" and other extracts from her reality TV programme The Simple Life.

The record credits have been re-edited to include thanks to the artist for his "wonderful work".

The bogus CD is not the first time he has branched out beyond the stencil graffiti that made his name. In 2003, Banksy glued one of his paintings on to a wall in Tate Britain, where it went unnoticed by staff for hours. The following year he smuggled a display case with a stuffed rat wearing sunglasses and a backpack into the Natural History Museum. At New York's Museum of Modern Art, he placed an Andy Warhol-style print depicting a tin of Tesco Value soup. Last year, he sprayed paintings on the Israeli security wall around the West Bank."

- From The Independent website
Exponentially serving. Perpetually unnerving. Vehicle swerving.

- explore and not explode -
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    haha!
    I think I like this guy. :)

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    CazpjCazpj Posts: 58
    Bansky is an absolute legend! I heard about this yesterday and was well impressed :0)
    4/20/06 Astoria
    8/29/06 Arnhem
    9/11/06 Paris
    6/18/07 London
  • Options
    Thats so cool
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    That guy rules.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    there is a book of his artwork, wall and piece. there's really awesome pics of different things that he's done with street crosswalks. well, pretty much everything in there is amazing!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Banksy = Hero

PEACE
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    wow, that made me smile.
    thanks already to that guy!!!

this blondie really goes on my nerves.... none has made it so far, arghh,
    so time to let out my anger about this woman and all those stupid celebrities that influence our teens and society in such a weird manner.

they are idols but which values do they sell.... that really scares me a bit.

so hope those actions will occure more in the future,
    guess we need to wake up.
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options
    fuckin sweet
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    This guy is my new hero.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I love this guy :D

I wonder what these will go for on ebay?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    I love this guy :D

I wonder what these will go for on ebay?

I wondered that myself.

Yeah, Banksy's a really awesome guy. There's some really cool articles on his site about different things he's done. He snuck an "ancient" rock into a museum once. It had a picture of a man with a shopping cart on it. Hah, none of the museum people noticed it for quite some time.

And his art is amazing! He's so talented.
    Exponentially serving. Perpetually unnerving. Vehicle swerving.

- explore and not explode -