Options

Blasts Rock Mumbai Rail Network

CenterCityCenterCity Posts: 193
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5169332.stm

I have family visiting: Hope everything is okay in Mumbai. Its scary cause my brother was just riding the rails last year at this time. Then again, I'm sure people in India aren't as suprised; not too many months ago there was a similar occurence at a New Dehli Mall.

If not hearing about terrorism here; I'm hearing it there. Kinda is disraughtifying: Like watching CNN 24/7.

Coming from both ends, kinda gets heavy if you think about it too long. huh.
I need to finish writing.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    damn, not they are saying 135+ people are dead... terrible....
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    damn where is the ShivSena when you need them??
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • Options
    damn, not they are saying 135+ people are dead... terrible....

i know.....not a lot.....its just that its ongoing; it seems.
    it must be more about the fact that, it is still happening.....you know, why its still newsworthy.
  • Options
    CenterCity wrote:
    i know.....not a lot.....its just that its ongoing; it seems.
    it must be more about the fact that, it is still happening.....you know, why its still newsworthy.
    this anglo-soviet gandhi dynasty started by that great inbred neutered soul mahatma gandhi and presently led by an italian ex-barmaid will be the undoing of india and our peace of mind.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    this anglo-soviet gandhi dynasty started by that great inbred neutered soul mahatma gandhi and presently led by an italian ex-barmaid will be the undoing of india and our peace of mind.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......that's hilarious.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    still no one claiming responsibility?
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    still no one claiming responsibility?

nope.....that's probably why it still happens.
  • Options
    CenterCity wrote:
    nope.....that's probably why it still happens.
    first round of news puts the blame on LET.

and why was that hilarious... i thopught it was more "spot on" than hillarious.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    first round of news puts the blame on LET.

and why was that hilarious... i thopught it was more "spot on" than hillarious.

sorry....i just thought the descriptions were funny......i don't agree with the gandhi statement....but nevertheless the descriptions are hilarious.....totally intended to be a complement. :)

who's the LET?
  • Options
    My girlfriend is on a mission trip in Bangalore, India and she is supposed to take a train next week to visit Mumbai. Hearing about this does not make me feel good about her being there.
  • Options
    My girlfriend is on a mission trip in Bangalore, India and she is supposed to take a train next week to visit Mumbai. Hearing about this does not make me feel good about her being there.

yeah, it is pretty scary. the planes are safe though. hopefully she'll be able to fly over or taxi.
  • Options
    CenterCity wrote:
    sorry....i just thought the descriptions were funny......i don't agree with the gandhi statement....but nevertheless the descriptions are hilarious.....totally intended to be a complement. :)

who's the LET?
    Lashkar-E-Taiba. google for more.

yes i expect you to disagree with the gandhi ststement. most indians believe the fable of his ahimsha crap and how it got india independence. anyways at least i hope you agreed that the "dynasty" started by nehru sucked ass ever since it came about.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    so did you make any sort of contact with her today??

ask her to avoid mumbai and fly back from bangalore itself, if possible.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    Israelis feel Mumbai’s sorrow, India’s pain
    Nina Martyris
    [ 18 Jul, 2006 0946hrs ISTTIMES NEWS NETWORK ]

JERUSALEM: In Israel, a country in a region where the vocabulary of terrorism has an unfortunately high currency, the 7/11 attacks have been followed with deep concern and interest. As rockets and bombs flying through the dust and smoke over the border with Lebanon threaten to turn the battle with Hezbollah into full-scale war, Israelis at every level seek to make common cause with India against the forces of terror.

An Indian delegation of MPs, business leaders and mediapersons, currently in Israel on an invitation from the American Jewish Committee, a powerful lobby in Washington , were met almost everywhere with expressions of sympathy and concern for the people of Mumbai.

Barely an hour before the 7/11 attack, Silvan Shalom, a former deputy prime minister of Israel, met the delegation for an informal discussion in a Tel Aviv hotel on the Mediterranean. Naturally, terrorism was central to the discussion.

Asked about how 9/11 had affected Israel, Shalom said, “In 9/11 the world realised that terrorism wasn’t Israel’s problem only. Until then they tried to convince us that Israel was being attacked because of the West Bank and Gaza). But after 9/11, they realised that there was a radical Islamist movement at work. It was the first time that the West came together to fight back.’’

India and Israel have been moving closer at many levels—from trade to strategic affairs—since the two countries established diplomatic relations in 1992. And thanks to some 70,000 Jews of Indian origin spread across Israel, India enjoys a kind of special status here. The Indian embassy in Tel Aviv issues 40,000 visas every year to young Israelis who flock to the Himalayas in the north and the beaches in Goa after they complete their three-year compulsory stint in the army.

Efraim Inbar, director of the Begin-Sadat Centre for Strategic Studies and an expert on foreign relations, said he was delighted at the growing warmth between the two countries.

“For many years, India shied away from having relations with Israel. But after the Cold War was over, one of the adaptations was better relations with Israel,’’ he said. “We are a flourishing country, which is what makes Israel attractive to India. The main enemy of both countries is radical Islam. For India, Pakistan is an area of concern because of the weapons it possesses and its military dictatorship. We are less concerned about Pakistan, but Saudi Arabia is an area of concern for us, ‘’ he added.

Yael Guter, a research fellow at the Bar Ilan University, who has travelled extensively in India, especialy Cochin from where thousands of Jewish families emigrated to Israel, said, “India is not a country it’s a whole world. I express my sympathy for what happened in Bombay.’’

“I travelled in India for seven months and I loved it there. There was a tragic incident in India and a tragic incident in Israel,’’ she added, referring to the abduction of two Isreali soldiers by Hezbollah. At the Israeli ministry of trade and industry, it was pointed out that one of the common areas between the two countries was the resilience their peoples.

But those who were really rocked by the 7/11 news were Israel’s newest immigrant families from Mumbai. In the port town of Ashdod, at what is known here as an Absorbtion Centre, an institution where immigrants are put through a comprehensive orientation course including Hebrew lessons, the director had organised a short informal ceremony after she heard of the Mumbai blasts— the lighting of a candle placed before a poster which said: No Terror. At the centre were six families from Mumbai who have moved to Israel recently. They were anxious for news about the attacks.

Asher Gasulkar, a welder from Mumbai once an employee in the control panel division of a company owned by Madhuri Dixit and his family, were glued to CNN , watching in disbelief as the mangled anatomy of the seven trains flashed endlessly on TV. Another lady, formerly from the Sandhurst Road, also listened stunned when she heard of the death toll.

There is a large Marathi-speaking Jewish population in Israel, which even has its own newspaper. Many of the young generation do not speak Marathi any more, but when one of them heard of the blasts, she exclaimed in horror, “Kay boltes.’’

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1768071.cms

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1773112.cms

Lashkar-e-Qahar warns of more blasts across India

MUMBAI: Lashkar-e-Qahar, the terrorist group that claimed responsibility for the Mumbai train bombings, warned on Tuesday that it was planning attacks against government and historic sites in India in an e-mail to a news channel.

The outfit also said it plans to provide audio and video proof that it carried out the July 11 bombings that ripped through Mumbai's packed commuter rail network and killed 207 people.

Lashkar said in the e-mail that 16 people took part in the July 11 attacks in Mumbai, and that one of them was killed.

But "all the remaining 15 mujahideens are totally safe, and celebrating the success of this mission and also preparing for the next mission," the e-mail said.

"We also request all the Muslim brothers and sisters not to go near the main historical, governmental and the monumental places of India (especially in Delhi and Mumbai) in future," the e-mail said. "Otherwise, they get hurt too."

The train bombings killed 207 people and injured hundreds more. Investigators believe the group may be a front for Lashkar-e-Taiba.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    is there a reason why the skirmish in lebanon should have every one's attention, but not a deliberate bombing costing 200 lives or even the new tsunami in indonesia killing so many??

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    Who's Behind the India Bombings?
    Suspicion falls on Islamic terrorists — but not al-Qaeda — in the country's worst terrorist attack in more than a decade

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1212590,00.html

Even as the dead are still being counted in India's worst terrorist attack in more than a decade, suspicion has already fallen on Islamic terrorists — though not al-Qaeda. India is home to a Muslim insurgency in Kashmir, and earlier in the day militants killed eight people and injured 30 in five separate bomb attacks in the capital, Srinagar. And while no one said those same insurgents carried out Tuesday's rush-hour train attacks in Bombay — which police said killed at least 130 people and injured 260 — security sources told TIME they suspected a shadowy alliance of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) working with indigenous Indian Muslims from the banned Student Islamic Movemement of India (SIMI).

SIMI detonated a total of nine bombs in Bombay during the course of 2003, killing close to 80 people and injuring hundreds more. The same loose grouping of Islamic radicals are also suspected of being behind a series of attacks in India in the last year that included three blasts in New Delhi last October that killed 60 and three more in the holy Hindu city of Varanasi in March this year, which killed 20, as well as smaller attacks in Bangalore and Hyderabad.

Ajay Sahni of the Institute for Conflict Management in New Delhi said it was unlikely that there had been any trigger for the attacks. Rather this was an "ongoing war" against Hindu-majority India by South Asian Muslims. "It is a continuous process of preparing for attacks and carrying them out," he said. "When these people are able to bring something to fruition, they do it. The act itself is the objective. It says: 'We're here. And this is what we are going to do to you.'" In a paper published Monday, Institute research fellow Bibhu Prasad Routray warned that SIMI had been stepping up its operations in Bombay and the surrounding state of Maharashtra. He described several "SIMI strongholds" in the state, adding that the "seizure of 30 kilograms of RDX, 17 AK-47s and 50 hand grenades from Aurangabad and Malegaon [two Maharashtran towns] between May 9 and 12 and subsequent arrests of 11 LeT terrorists pointed to linkages between SIMI and the LeT."

India is home to the second largest Muslim population in the world, around 150 million people. But in a nation of more than a billion people, Muslims are often a disadvantaged minority. In the eyes of many Hindus, no Muslim can ever truly belong in India. The origins of this antagonism are centuries old. In essence, hardline Hindus regard as a national humiliation the Islamic influence that pervades India's history, starting with the Mughal Renaissance in the 16th century, continuing with the birth of Islamic fundamentalism in Asia in northern India in the 1860s (the same creed followed by the Taliban) and enduring even today in India's national symbol, the Mughal mausoleum of the Taj Mahal. This distrust of Islam has only increased since independence in 1947: modern India was founded in the Muslim-Hindu bloodletting of Partition from Pakistan, in which a million people died, and since then three wars against Islamic neighbor Pakistan have killed millions more.

Today, much of this tension stems from India's rule over Muslim-dominated Kashmir in the face of strident Pakistani opposition. The war on terror and the 1998-2004 rule of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on a Hindu nationalist agenda — which also stoked a Hindu pogrom in Gujarat in 2002 in which 2,000 Muslims died — has lent further legitimacy to India's lurking anti-Muslim prejudice. In 2003, just before twin bomb blasts in August that killed more than 50, TIME spoke to "Umar," a SIMI operative, or Ansar ("guide"), who said his men were carrying out the attacks. The 44-year-old said: "This country doesn't work for Muslims any more. You can't get a proper education, you can't get a job. You're not even safe." He said he and his men had no intention of ever ending their murderous campaign. "We will continue," he told TIME. "There is no limits on our actions... Even to kill children is good — you stop the generation there, at the beginning."

The numbers in Tuesday's attacks are likely to rise. All the bombs were detonated between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. on the Western line, which runs from Bombay's central station, Churchgate, through which a million commuters pass every day. Typically, a Bombay train carries around 4,500 people — three times its official capacity — and at rush hour, each carriage would have been stuffed, with passengers hanging onto doors and sitting on roofs. For terrorists looking to maximize carnage, it was an all too tempting target.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    Nakedeye66Nakedeye66 Posts: 94
    is there a reason why the skirmish in lebanon should have every one's attention, but not a deliberate bombing costing 200 lives or even the new tsunami in indonesia killing so many??

IndianSummer, this is the post I've been waiting to see. I couldn't agree with you more. So many claim that their obsession with Lebanese casualties shouldn't be called anti-Israel, but where is the concern over this horrible murderous event in India???? Where is their concern about the horrible tragedy of death from the tsunami????

The newsmedia is most to blame for completely ignoring these major tragedies. But it really brings into question the tolerance, sympathies (or lack thereof) of folks who seem not to give a rats ass about tragedy unless it seems to be at the hands of Israelis or Americans.

This is the UN and the world press in a nutshell.

I am absolutely sickened by what happened in Mumbai, and even more sickened that it barely registers on the media radar. For my Indian friends with loved ones back in India, my thoughts and prayers remain with you.
  • Options
    I'm just posting as much as necessary to bump this to the top of the message board where it belongs!
  • Options
    Nakedeye66 wrote:
    IndianSummer, this is the post I've been waiting to see. I couldn't agree with you more. So many claim that their obsession with Lebanese casualties shouldn't be called anti-Israel, but where is the concern over this horrible murderous event in India???? Where is their concern about the horrible tragedy of death from the tsunami????

The newsmedia is most to blame for completely ignoring these major tragedies. But it really brings into question the tolerance, sympathies (or lack thereof) of folks who seem not to give a rats ass about tragedy unless it seems to be at the hands of Israelis or Americans.

This is the UN and the world press in a nutshell.

I am absolutely sickened by what happened in Mumbai, and even more sickened that it barely registers on the media radar. For my Indian friends with loved ones back in India, my thoughts and prayers remain with you.

thanks you very very much.

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    Bump it!
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I was going to say that this had all the hallmarks of Al Queda. These guys obviously mean business. I wouldn't be surprised if the popular holiday resort of Goa is one day a target for these people.
    Your right in saying that this event has been eclipsed by the events in Lebanon and Israel. Why that is, I for one don't know. Maybe because of the predicted wider consequences?
    This extremism is surely spreading. And the west is currently doing a good job of fanning the flames.
  • Options
    Bbbbbump
  • Options
    can we have some answers to that question at least??

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    can we have some answers to that question at least??
    still waiting.

Swim the magic ocean,