Options

chicken after the Ed

shareshare Posts: 551
edited August 2008 in The Porch
What if........

Ed was a successful solo artist first and then the band came later.
Could that have even happened? What would this world be like if
that occurred?

what if pigs could fly out of my butt?
we're all sentient snowflakes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm a number that doesn't count
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Just as long as he doesn't pull a Pete Townshend and start saving his best work for his solo albums :)

Whatever...as long as Pearl Jam keeps trucking I'm fine with whatever the band members decide to do in their spare time.

Solo albums and tours can be cool...they help the band members to get their rocks off on other avenues and allow them to explore other musical directions that they may have been restricted from in the past.

Matt's jazz project is great and really really cool...but It probably wouldn't work on a Pearl Jam record.

It clenses the system.
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    Are there examples of this happening? I can't imagine a successful solo artist giving up full control to a band.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Just as long as he doesn't pull a Pete Townshend and start saving his best work for his solo albums :)

Interesting. At what point does Ed start holding back some of the stuff he writes on his own for his eventual (full) solo album?

Would songs like Thumbing My Way and Gone have been held back?
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Fatal wrote:
    Interesting. At what point does Ed start holding back some of the stuff he writes on his own for his eventual (full) solo album?

Would songs like Thumbing My Way and Gone have been held back?

Pearl Jam will probably become the outlet for Eddie's hard rocking punkier stuff...while he may reserve some of the quieter acoustic, uke, and folk material for his future solo albums.

Kind of like what Neil Young does in and out of Crazy Horse. I could definately see Ed map out a similar course to Neil's.