Options

Galloway = stupid terror apologist

jsandjsand Posts: 646
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
Congratulating Hezbollah:

http://emea-search.blinkx.com/player/itn.jsp?id=/itn/20060826/20060826_ITN_21_26_galloway

"And in particular, to their leader, Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, whose name now rings in joy around the world.”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Pretty disgusting.
  • Options
    The guy's a fucking joke.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Well, Hizbollah did win.
  • Options
    Irony.
  • Options
    miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,452
    Irony.

not in civilian deaths...boo yah!
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • Options
    Miller, I do think you're really Georgie in disguise. Go on, admit it. It's quiet, tonight. You're really George Galloway, stupid terror apologist, after all, dismantling the very pro-Right cause you purport to support. :p

Did you catch his live shows from the Lebanon, this weekend? I made a thread about them, and tried to get it going, so people could listen to him and react to his points, from any of the interpretative sides there are to seeing this issue.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Well, Hizbollah did win.

Guess it depends on your definition of win.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    what a freakin idiot, i feel sorry for the guy.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    jsand wrote:

http://emea-search.blinkx.com/player/itn.jsp?id=/itn/20060826/20060826_ITN_21_26_galloway

"And in particular, to their leader, Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, whose name now rings in joy around the world.”

Just watched it. I must have missed something because at no point did I hear George Galloway excusing terrorism. However, I did hear him congratulating the Lebanese people and Hizbollah on managing to stand up to Israeli state terror.
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    jsand wrote:

A man in tune with the world. I don't see why you would have a problem with him you being an open minded American and all.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    even flow? wrote:
    A man in tune with the world. I don't see why you would have a problem with him you being an open minded American and all.

"freedom" must not include any speech/statements that do not support Israel...:rolleyes:
  • Options
  • Options
    OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Just watched it. I must have missed something because at no point did I hear George Galloway excusing terrorism. However, I did hear him congratulating the Lebanese people and Hizbollah on managing to stand up to Israeli state terror.

That's what I heard too. But if the voice-over's claims are right, I feel he does go overboard praising Hizbollah. But it seems he's a loose cannon. Am I right?

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    That's what I heard too. But if the voice-over's claims are right, I feel he does go overboard praising Hizbollah. But it seems he's a loose cannon. Am I right?

Peace
    Dan

Yeah he's a loose cannon, in that he doesn't tow the party line and isn't afraid of critisicing Tony Blair. I think it's healthy in a so-called democracy to have people like him around.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Yeah he's a loose cannon, in that he doesn't tow the party line and isn't afraid of critisicing Tony Blair. I think it's healthy in a so-called democracy to have people like him around.
    All good. But for a peace-supporter, he does go quite a bit the other way, at least in finsbury's clip. He doesn't come off so much as supporting peace, as he does just supporting the other side. Although it was interesting to hear his wrestle with the skynews anchor.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    if someone lived down your street and spent the whole time bullying and taking whatever they like off of there neighbours, eventualy u'd get pissed off, it's no wonder Iran are developing nukes.
    its quite funny that Israel was set up under the pretence of returnin the jews to there home land but it always had the distinct smell of getting them the fuck out of western europe!
    George Galloway has the balls to point out what he see's as the truth and in a world where the dim and singleminded greedy bastards who only have there personal finances in mind while invading poorer semi defenceless countries, oh i forgot to mention about the religeous fanatics in the form of OUR leaders, i think Galloway is an important figure, don't be supprised if he's assasinated within the next few years, maybe an accidental car crash in paris or a shot from the Texas book depository are waiting for him.
    www.myspace.com/rockmastergeneral

To break down borders and realise that we are one species and then the true patriotism comes from pride and love of the human race, not from the tribes of which we currently are divided, open your eyes your mind will see! - ME
  • Options
    Well, Hizbollah did win.

How so?
    For someone so obsessed with language usage, you sure are hiding behind it now.
  • Options
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:

Yeah, its time to cut Israel loose. I mean, everyone else in the world buys weapons, but Jews? Ridiculous!
  • Options
    Yeah, its time to cut Israel loose. I mean, everyone else in the world buys weapons, but Jews? Ridiculous!

You did make it to the bottom of the cartoon, no? A little deeper then Jews buying weapons and using them on civilians.
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    You did make it to the bottom of the cartoon, no? A little deeper then Jews buying weapons and using them on civilians.

Israel uses weapons on civilians, and its a total shitstorm. Much of the rest of the world does it, and you can hear the crickets.
  • Options
    Israel uses weapons on civilians, and its a total shitstorm. Much of the rest of the world does it, and you can hear the crickets.

Skip the Israel rhetoric and get to the part of the money.
  • Options
    You know that's the game in town. Exchange Israel for Iraq, and weapons with WMDs, it's basically the same. Just had to point out that.

Otherwise Israel has become a conflict with a lot of attention and coverage. Too bad for Israel that can't do anything as bad as others get away with without a shitstorm. They can whine about that if they want, doesn't mean that what they at times do is acceptable. Others being worse is always a bad defense, is it implies you dont really have one.

That being said, I feel some of the Israel critics around here go a bit too much over the top with their accusations and sentiments.

Peace
    Dan

• Options
    You know that's the game in town. Exchange Israel for Iraq, and weapons with WMDs, it's basically the same. Just had to point out that.

Otherwise Israel has become a conflict with a lot of attention and coverage. Too bad for Israel that can't do anything as bad as others get away with without a shitstorm. They can whine about that if they want, doesn't mean that what they at times do is acceptable. Others being worse is always a bad defense, is it implies you dont really have one.

That being said, I feel some of the Israel critics around here go a bit too much over the top with their accusations and sentiments.

Peace
    Dan

Yes, I know that others doing the same or worse is a bad defense. I am not justifying the bombing of Lebanon, I think that the bombing was about the worst thing the Israelis have done since the state's inception.

And yes evenflow?, I know ... Money is obviously an issue.
  • Options
    How so?
    For someone so obsessed with language usage, you sure are hiding behind it now.

They united the Arab world against Israel, and they're still standing. Whereas the Israeli and Lebanese governments are mortally weakened. That plain enough for you?

http://www.invbiznews.com/wordpress/?p=424
  • Options
    They united the Arab world against Israel, and they're still standing. Whereas the Israeli and Lebanese governments are mortally weakened. That plain enough for you?

http://www.invbiznews.com/wordpress/?p=424

Still standing is not the standard way to define victory in military terms, although I do like this new approach ... You cannot ever lose a war if you redefine the terms of victory.
    :)

As for your first point ... Hmm. I would counter that a) the Arab world has long been united against Israel, well before this war started and b) certain Arab governments still have diplomatic ties with Israel, despite what happened in Lebanon. Olmert's government may be mortally weakened, but Israel as a whole is not.
  • Options
    Still standing is not the standard way to define victory in military terms, although I do like this new approach ... You cannot ever lose a war if you redefine the terms of victory.
    :)

As for your first point ... Hmm. I would counter that a) the Arab world has long been united against Israel, well before this war started and b) certain Arab governments still have diplomatic ties with Israel, despite what happened in Lebanon. Olmert's government may be mortally weakened, but Israel as a whole is not.

For an army, funded by the world's biggest superpower, not to be able to wipe out a little gaggle of hoodlums, is a major defeat. To say, "we've wiped out two thirds of them", when it's obvious that this isn't the case and that people are queuing up to join, well, if that's not a defeat, I don't know what is. When the bombardment from the other side doesn't deplete appreciably, that's a defeat. Politically, it's a defeat, too.

My first point really considers the conflict as going on for far longer than this recent set of events. Decades.

Israel will never be weakened. It's got hundreds of US-supplied nukes. But yes, its government has taken a whupping.
  • Options
    For an army, funded by the world's biggest superpower, not to be able to wipe out a little gaggle of hoodlums, is a major defeat. To say, "we've wiped out two thirds of them", when it's obvious that this isn't the case and that people are queuing up to join, well, if that's not a defeat, I don't know what is. When the bombardment from the other side doesn't deplete appreciably, that's a defeat. Politically, it's a defeat, too.

My first point really considers the conflict as going on for far longer than this recent set of events. Decades.

Israel will never be weakened. It's got hundreds of US-supplied nukes. But yes, its government has taken a whupping.

Well, they did wipe out several hundred for sure ... These fighters are easily replaced, granted. "Little gaggle of hoodlums" is unfortunately not an accurate assessment. It it was, the war would have been over in a week.
    If you want to define defeat as not realizing the goal of completely destroying Hezbollah, then yes, Israel lost. Setting this as the goal probably set the stage for defeat before the war even began, however. If the goal has been set as giving Hezbollah a spanking, followed by a UN deployment on the border, then they could have declared a victory of sorts.
  • Options
    jsandjsand Posts: 646
    a little gaggle of hoodlums

That statement is on par with the Palestinian "resistance" being described as nothing more than throwing a few rocks.

Ridiculous.
  • Options
    You're missing the irony again. ;) Second time in the thread.

I'm not saying that they're a gaggle of hoodlums myself, or akin to a few street protestors throwing rocks. I accept reports of the international funding Hizbollah is said to receive, and its level of paramilitary and political organisation. I'm saying that with a vastly disproportionate degree of military power, and given the alleged superiority of MOSSAD intelligence, the Israeli government seemed to venture into the conflict, believing that a wholesale strike against the southern Lebanese infrastructure would inevitably dwarf resistance, regardless of whether Hizbollah were using the civilian population as shields. The logic of such an attack was, well, it's unfortunate and immoral that Hizbollah are hiding behind civilians, but our objective is to deplete Hizbollah and that's that. This sort of attitude underestimated the extent of Hizbollah power and resistance. The war was lost on an assertion that, if as much damage was done before any ceasefire, Hizbollah resistance would have been appreciably weakened. But it's likely it's strengthened.

Okay, Galloway's rhetoric is goading and gloating, to many people, regardless of whether they are pro-Zionist or a "supporter", to use a horrible word, of neither side in the combat. Many people might find his talk distasteful, and driven by a need for sensationalist publicity. However, he represents a voice that raises points about who really did benefit from the war. In terms of who makes the money to rebuild southern Lebanon, it's possible Hizbollah will reap the rewards there. It's a sad and inevitable outcome - or more likely, a pretext - of any conflict, that somebody benefits monetarily.