Options

Some light news from Canada. Pure vigalante stylin'.......

even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
They torched the place and then beat the piss out of them as they tried to get out. Blocked the only road in miles up the way so the RCMP on the island couldn't get through. I think they may have had enough.........

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060726.wxgrandmanan26/BNStory/National/

Vigilante violence shakes serene N.B. tourist town
SHAWNA RICHER

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

Grand Manan, the pretty archipelago in the Bay of Fundy, is typically tranquil, best known for its pudgy puffins and mouth-watering lobster.

It's a sleepy tourist destination and, for those who call it home, a peaceful place where people are used to leaving the doors unlocked at night.

But residents' anxieties over creeping drug problems in the community sparked a violent, vigilante attack against suspected dealers on the weekend -- and many are concerned that others will take the law into their own hands.

"For the most part Grand Mananers are rational people," Mayor Dennis Greene said. "But I believe that people felt they had taken all they could take. I hope this was a one-time thing. But I believe it could happen again."

Related to this article

Latest Comments
'If Daddy joins the mob, perhaps he can lead it in wise directions...
I was surprised to see how many concerned people responded with...
#79 - Dogs crapping on lawns, speeding and playing loud music...
123 reader comments | Comments closed
What did go down in the midnight hours last Saturday was more fitting of the urban jungle or a Martin Scorsese film than of a fishing community that lures tourists with its serene seashore.

As many as 50 residents, ranging in age from twentysomething to fiftysomething, got together and launched an attack on a group of about 10 locals who the vigilantes suspected of dealing drugs from a house in the tiny community of Castalia, on the island's eastern shore.

Participants on both sides brandished guns, baseball bats and knives. The battle rumbled over four hours into the early morning. Three of the island's four RCMP officers were on duty and tried to break up what turned into a raging street riot, but they could not stop the vigilante gang from setting fire to the suspected drug den. As volunteer firefighters worked to douse the flames, the vigilantes hurled rocks at them; the house burned to the ground and more than a dozen people suffered minor injuries during the fights. Gunshots were also fired, though no one was hit.

The RCMP have sent a handful of extra Mounties to the island to help with the investigation and keep the peace.

Sergeant Greg MacAvoy said it was too soon to know who among the island's 2,700 residents was involved and he wasn't sure whether charges would be laid.

"If there are charges we'll deal with it but really we want to help the community heal," he said. "It's a lesson in how things can go off the rails. You hope that in the clear light of day that people who were involved have had time to have a sober second thought and say, 'Hey, maybe we went a little overboard.'

"It's pretty hard to condone violence of the level that escalated to Saturday night. You can understand that people get frustrated and to the end of their rope. I'm betting a lot of the people involved in this were acting completely out of character. But things don't have to get that extreme."

Police said yesterday they took one man who was a resident of the targeted house into custody early yesterday on charges not related to Saturday's riot or drugs.

"There's some relief with that," Mr. Greene said.

The mayor, who is 63 and moved to Grand Manan from another New Brunswick island, Campobello, when he was 10 years old, criticized the justice system for handing out lenient sentences to those charged with drug offences in the community.

"The police are doing a fine job but we're being let down by the justice system, which gives criminals more rights than victims," he said. "I've seen drug dealers sentenced to house arrest. Well, what do you think happens then?"

The residents, who apparently met to discuss their attack several weeks earlier, may have burned an SUV that belonged to one of the suspected dealers earlier this month -- "a message that didn't get across," Mr. Greene said.

Some members of the vigilante group were parents who suspected their children had bought drugs from the targets of the attack. Marijuana, crack, cocaine, ecstasy and prescription painkillers are all prevalent in the community, said several residents contacted yesterday, who also said they were afraid to give their names. One man referred to the targeted house as a "crack house."

It has been a rough couple of years for this island that relies largely on the fishery and tourism. More than 160 people lost their jobs when a sardine plant closed early in 2005, the aquaculture industry has been battling a virus, and the spring lobster catch was down.

"I hope people know that this was a one-time thing and that Grand Manan is a safe and peaceful place that's open for business," Mr. Greene said.

"This is a way of life we're not used to here. I never locked my door at night, but in the last year or so, even if I'm just going a few doors away to the hardware store, I will lock my door. With unemployment the way it is, sometimes people get into things, like drugs."
You've changed your place in this world!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    That is fucking hilarious! The Warriors meets Little house on the prairie! Romper Stomper meets Last of the summer wine!
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,374
    I'm not an advocate of vigilante groups and their actions, but I have to say that there's an element of it all that I think is needed more in society.

Criminals have been and continue to be very bold, violent and arrogant with their criminal activities.

I kind of feel like, it's about time somebody, somewhere teached these fuckers a lesson and showed them the community will not tolerate their criminal activities.

Just being honest.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    NMyTree wrote:
    I'm not an advocate of vigilante groups and their actions, but I have to say that there's an element of it all that I think is needed more in society.

Criminals have been and continue to be very bold, violent and arrogant with their criminal activities.

I kind of feel like, it's about time somebody, somewhere teached these fuckers a lesson and showed them the community will not tolerate their criminal activities.

Just being honest.

Batman lives!! :eek: