Options

Peacemongers and war

farfromglorifiedfarfromglorified Posts: 5,696
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
An op-ed that got e-mailed to me today. Not a big fan of the unspoken conclusion that war ends war and is somehow then justified, but just thought it's worth the read:

http://www.theatlasphere.com/columns/060721-sowell-peace.php
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    An op-ed that got e-mailed to me today. Not a big fan of the unspoken conclusion that war ends war and is somehow then justified, but just thought it's worth the read:

http://www.theatlasphere.com/columns/060721-sowell-peace.php

Interesting article. I'm suprised no one has commented on it. I wish I knew more about human psychology. Personally, I think the 'bigger' thing to do is strive for peace, set an example for others, athough, I can see how some peace movements get way off track, usually due to the egos of the leaders. It also seems logical to me that as we evolve, war should not be considered an option. Really, it could ultimately lead to the end of all of us. It seems more intelligent and evolved to negotiate for peace.
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    baraka wrote:
    Interesting article. I'm suprised no one has commented on it. I wish I knew more about human psychology. Personally, I think the 'bigger' thing to do is strive for peace, set an example for others, athough, I can see how some peace movements get way off track, usually due to the egos of the leaders. It also seems logical to me that as we evolve, war should not be considered an option. Really, it could ultimately lead to the end of all of us. It seems more intelligent and evolved to negotiate for peace.
    Walk tall and carry a big stick.
    It was an interesting article. Some valid points were made. I have no issue with the "peaceniks" as they are just part of the solution process.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    baraka wrote:

I agree. But it is not intelligent to negotiate for peace if a negotiation cannot be made honestly. This is where I agree with the author. A demand for a cease-fire cannot stop a war. It may only postpone a war or prolong a war. Nations do not fight wars because someone has forgotten to call for peace. And a call for peace cannot erase the issue those nations are fighting over.
  • Options
    69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    One of the many failings of our educational system is that it sends out into the world people who cannot tell rhetoric from reality. They have learned no systematic way to analyze ideas, derive their implications, and test those implications against hard facts.

This would seem to explain why there are so many conspiracy theorists on this board also ;)
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    I agree. But it is not intelligent to negotiate for peace if a negotiation cannot be made honestly. This is where I agree with the author. A demand for a cease-fire cannot stop a war. It may only postpone a war or prolong a war. Nations do not fight wars because someone has forgotten to call for peace. And a call for peace cannot erase the issue those nations are fighting over.

I think the "peaceniks" ultimately fail because they do not propose much in the way of alternatives to warfare. Over the past little while, I have come to believe that military force is probably not the best and certainly not the only thing that must be done in response to radical Islam, or any other major threat, for that matter. Even military commanders are starting to argue that force, while necessary in certain situations, only fuels the fire, serving to make extremist views more attractive to young men (in particular). However, anti-war folks often fall into the trap of protesting violent action, condeming the powers that be, but NOT providing much in the way of alternative solutions. I think its clear that something needs to be done about extremism, or the world is doomed.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I think the "peaceniks" ultimately fail because they do not propose much in the way of alternatives to warfare. Over the past little while, I have come to believe that military force is probably not the best and certainly not the only thing that must be done in response to radical Islam, or any other major threat, for that matter. Even military commanders are starting to argue that force, while necessary in certain situations, only fuels the fire, serving to make extremist views more attractive to young men (in particular). However, anti-war folks often fall into the trap of protesting violent action, condeming the powers that be, but NOT providing much in the way of alternative solutions. I think its clear that something needs to be done about extremism, or the world is doomed.

And in-between criticsing "peaceniks" for their apparent lack of alternative solutions to combating terrorism, what alternative solutions have you thunk up?

Perhaps you're content for now to settle for the follwing solution.....

http://fromisraeltolebanon.info/
  • Options
    69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    Byrnzie wrote:
    And in-between criticsing "peaceniks" for their apparent lack of alternative solutions to combating terrorism, what alternative solutions do you thunk up?

Perhaps you're content for now to settle for the follwing solution.....

http://fromisraeltolebanon.info/

Did you even read the article farfromglorified posted?

Instead you just post a link to a bunch of shocking photos? Did you know that there are just as many shocking photos on the Israeli side?

Do you think Hezbollah rockets blow farts when they explode?

To quote the article "War is Hell"
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    69charger wrote:
    Did you even read the article farfromglorified posted?

Instead you just post a link to a bunch of shocking photos? Did you know that there are just as many shocking photos on the Israeli side?

I did indeed read the article. It is obvious on which side this dudes bread is buttered.

"Peace” movements are among those who take advantage of this widespread inability to see beyond rhetoric to realities."

And those on the right, and the warmongers can "..see beyond rhetoric to realities.." can they? I wonder if the war-mongers have an inate ability to automatically consider the consequences of their actions, such as those presented in the photo's above?

"Was World War II ended by cease-fires or by annihilating much of Germany and Japan? Make no mistake about it, innocent civilians died in the process. Indeed, American prisoners of war died when we bombed Germany".

I notice that he neglected to mention the hundreds of thousands of innocent German civilians who also died in the process. Seems to me this fella has an "..inablity to see beyond rhetoric to realities." I think this prick needs to get off his all too safe arse at Stanford University and head to a war zone to put his "war works" theory to the test.
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Yea, I know this dude...

So therefore peace of mind really causes anger instead? yeah that's makes sense...

:rolleyes:

This article, if anything, actually lends confirmation to conspiracy theories between governments.

Yeah, peaceful societies will actually crave war because they are peaceful....riiiight
    It takes two to fight, and it also takes two to create peace. It's a two way street.

Here's a rather interesting quote from him:

"One of the most fashionable notions of our times is that social problems like poverty and oppression breed wars. Most wars, however, are started by well-fed people with time on their hands to dream up half-baked ideologies or grandiose ambitions, and to nurse real or imagined grievances."

yeah...i.e delusional fucktard politicians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Sowell

btw the title of this thread should be properly labeled "Pacifists Versus Peace", not "Peacemongers and War".... :rolleyes:

more of him if you want it (including the original properly titled article):
    http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/archive.shtml

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965

if the left and right brain could just get along...
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    wolfbear wrote:
    if the left and right brain could just get along...

It's called whole brain thinking. That's what's required :rolleyes:
  • Options
    EvilToasterElfEvilToasterElf Posts: 1,119
    Interesting how he completely neglects to mention Vietnam

How about India?

South Africa?

Is the peace movement the reason we lost Vietnam?

I hardly think World War II is the best analogy to use, their was one clear nation state aggressor, in the case of the current middle east conflicts its a constant series of aggressions on both side, and we all know the people fighting on one side are quite content to keep firing their weapons from piles of rubble.
  • Options
    But it is not intelligent to negotiate for peace if a negotiation cannot be made honestly.

Ok, but don't you feel that it is even worse to perpetrate a war based on dishonesty? What would you qualify as dishonest negotiations when trying to prevent war?
    ~Daniel Boorstin

~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    baraka wrote:
    Ok, but don't you feel that it is even worse to perpetrate a war based on dishonesty?

Not really. The whole impetus of war is dishonesty and corruption. You can't get rid of the dishonesty and corruption by ending the war. But you can get rid of both by ending the dishonesy and corruption.
    What would you qualify as dishonest negotiations when trying to prevent war?

Simple -- when a negotiator's terms have nothing to do with peace. For example, if Israel and Hezbollah negotiate to peace in this case, those negotiations will not end the conflict. Freeing prisoners on either side....what does that buy us? Six months? A year?

An honest negotiation here is one in which both sides can achieve the terms they require for peace. And as long as either side wishes to anihilalate the other....no such honest negotiation is possible.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Is the peace movement the reason we lost Vietnam?

Actually, its quite possible, depending on how broadly defined "peace movement" is. The U.S. didn't lose too many battles in Vietnam, if any, but it lost the war in that strategic objectives weren't achieved. People have argued that interference by war-wary American politicians in military decision-making proved to be a deciding factor, and these politicians were undoubtedly influenced by the general anti-war sentiment in the U.S. at the time. I am not arguing that any of this was a bad thing, BTW. Just one factor that contributed to the disaster that was Vietnam.
  • Options
    Not really.

:eek:

The whole impetus of war is dishonesty and corruption. You can't get rid of the dishonesty and corruption by ending the war. But you can get rid of both by ending the dishonesy and corruption.

I agree with this.
    Simple -- when a negotiator's terms have nothing to do with peace. For example, if Israel and Hezbollah negotiate to peace in this case, those negotiations will not end the conflict. Freeing prisoners on either side....what does that buy us? Six months? A year?

What so you think would end the conflict? Are you saying any negotiations for peace between these two would be 'dishonest'? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
    An honest negotiation here is one in which both sides can achieve the terms they require for peace. And as long as either side wishes to anihilalate the other....no such honest negotiation is possible.

I agree until each side reconizes each other as human beings and reconizes each other's right to exist, there will be no movement towards peace. Do you not feel that there also has to be compromise between the two sides?

Edit: I just noticed the site this article was posted on, The Atlasphere. I thought the article had a 'Ryn-ish' feel.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    baraka wrote:
    :eek:

Heh....my "not really" wasn't meant to imply that somehow a "dishonest war" is a good thing. It was only meant to imply that a "dishonest war", 9 times out of 10 is simply a redundancy. Furthermore, a dishonest negotiation is what sets the stage for war. In the game of cause and effect, I'll always focus on causes rather than effects.
    I agree with this.

Cool.
    What so you think would end the conflict? Are you saying any negotiations for peace between these two would be 'dishonest'? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Yes. They would likely be dishonest. Why do you think we've had seemingly 100 ceasefires in the history of this conflict, none of which have ended this conflict.

The answers are simple: war or honesty. There is no middle ground for dishonest negotiation.
    I agree until each side reconizes each other as human beings and reconizes each other's right to exist, there will be no movement towards peace. Do you not feel that there also has to be compromise between the two sides?

I certainly think there does have to be compromise. But in the true sense of the word. Both sides must gain.
    Edit: I just noticed the site this article was posted on, The Atlasphere. I thought the article had a 'Ryn-ish' feel.

Certainly. This all just opinion stuff.
  • Options
    Heh....my "not really" wasn't meant to imply that somehow a "dishonest war" is a good thing. It was only meant to imply that a "dishonest war", 9 times out of 10 is simply a redundancy. Furthermore, a dishonest negotiation is what sets the stage for war. In the game of cause and effect, I'll always focus on causes rather than effects.

So you're saying that there is no morality or honesty in war, by definition. an 'all is fair in love and war' kind of thinking. I suppose this is what makes war hell, huh?
    Yes. They would likely be dishonest. Why do you think we've had seemingly 100 ceasefires in the history of this conflict, none of which have ended this conflict.

The answers are simple: war or honesty. There is no middle ground for dishonest negotiation.

Well, by your argument, war or honesty being our only choices, it seems that, unfortunately, war has won out each time, seeing how you feel that dishonest negotiations actually lead to war or just 'buy' time. You also imply that since the dishonest negotiation process has been going on for quite a while, chances are future negotiations would follow the same path, thus cycling the violence. Hum, this is a very bleak perspective. However, I still feel people should never stop trying to negotiate for peace. I know, I'm an idealist.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

~Albert Einstein
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    The reason the Middle-East has been at war for so long with no forseeable end is because of the nature of the conflict. We know Israel didn't exist before 1948, the palestinians got ripped off big time. Israel has expanded and practically anihilated Palestine. So it's no wonder that these groups in the mental state they are in call for the destruction of Israel. Maybe they won't settle for anything less, but I think they will. As sad as it is to hand over your land to a foreign entity, I think Palestine would do it, as long as they got a decent state out of it. Maybe give 'em back 50% of Palestine, split it half and half and pull Israeli colonies out of the land. That's what I think palestine would go for. Not the deal they've been offered. If Israel came to peace with Palestine and layed low for a while, things would improve over time. I have no doubt they would still be attacked until people settled down in the neighbouring countries. It's just going to take time, it's like if you cut yourself and it hurts, it will stop hurting over time and will actually heal, but if you keep cutting it, it won't.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    baraka wrote:
    So you're saying that there is no morality or honesty in war, by definition. an 'all is fair in love and war' kind of thinking. I suppose this is what makes war hell, huh?

Yes. This is pretty much what I'm saying.
    Well, by your argument, war or honesty being our only choices, it seems that, unfortunately, war has won out each time, seeing how you feel that dishonest negotiations actually lead to war or just 'buy' time. You also imply that since the dishonest negotiation process has been going on for quite a while, chances are future negotiations would follow the same path, thus cycling the violence. Hum, this is a very bleak perspective. However, I still feel people should never stop trying to negotiate for peace. I know, I'm an idealist.

I don't have that "bleak perspective" -- it is not necessarily an endless cycle. I believe there is an honest man in every dishonest man. I believe that every single person has the capacity to understand that not even a single death is justified by a piece of land, a religion, or a state.

The Israeli/Palestinian crisis is one defined by pin-the-tail-on-the-aggressor. Look at the posts here, for God's sake. People simply trying to manipulate history by highlighting a subset of facts to prove that their side is the victim. Only one completely blind to the reality of history could believe that one side in this conflict is an aggressor, the other a victim. We have over 50 years of aggression by both sides.

People first need to stop focusing on labelling one side good and the other evil. There are instances of good and evil on both sides. Such past instances should hold no relevancy to a desire for future good. Only the capacity for good and the capacity for a rejection of evil matters. And those are capacities all people hold.

Secondly, people need to accept that no death in these conflicts is further justified. You cannot erase the victimization of Israeli civilians just because more civilians die on the other side. You cannot erase the victimization of those others by suggesting that they all are terrorists, or that they all reject peace. Furthermore, the deaths of IDF soldiers or militants accomplishes nothing in the name of peace. They will simply be replaced. Has 50 years in this conflict taught us nothing? For every one you kill, two more will hunt you down.

Finally, people need to question the reasons for this fight. Land? Religion? Security? What good is land if you must die to hold it? What good is religion if you must die to believe it? What good is security if it cannot be secure? These are simple and old questions. But they are being whitewashed with answers of "terrorist!" or "terrorist state!"
  • Options
    thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182

good post, i agree, i'm one of those who condemn power and not always have a solution, but as i once said, we're not all "professional" on that matter, we're just expressing some opinions, same for the hippies or the "peacenicks" or whatever.

This part of "not proposing many solutions" might be a result of a lack of leadership from those "peacenick". Most of the time in history where peace had a great leader, it showed/produced some great result...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    This is true of most protest movements whether they be about war, the environment etc. I get frustrated at times because, I think many of these act on emotion and have no logic towards their stances as far as foresight to bring about solutions. However they bring about a sense of idealism which may not be achievable but is good to strive for.
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    69charger wrote:
    article wrote:
    One of the many failings of our educational system is that it sends out into the world people who cannot tell rhetoric from reality. They have learned no systematic way to analyze ideas, derive their implications, and test those implications against hard facts.
    This would seem to explain why there are so many conspiracy theorists on this board also ;)

Hmmm....it seems to me that if the educational system is failing and sends people out into the world who cannot tell rhetoric from reality, that would refer to the masses.

And if would further seem to me that it makes sense that some people on the fringes of society would, for whatever reason, be so inclined to break through the rhetoric and have a realistic view that is obscured from the veiled masses. ;)
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!