Help me figure this one out

drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
edited June 2006 in A Moving Train
My coworker listens to a Christian radio station, and they were discussing the topic of global warming after she left, so I decided to listen in.

According to the guest that had phoned in, CO2 emissions that human beings emit into the atmosphere are not that big of a problem, and trying to reduce the amount of pollutants we put into the air would actually be less benefitial to the world's poor. What the world's poor needs instead, he said, is more money flow into their economies so they can have stronger economies, because it's easier to survive a thing like global warming if the poor have money and resources and more electricity for air conditioning.

I am so confused.
drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    drivingrl wrote:
    My coworker listens to a Christian radio station, and they were discussing the topic of global warming after she left, so I decided to listen in.

According to the guest that had phoned in, CO2 emissions that human beings emit into the atmosphere are not that big of a problem, and trying to reduce the amount of pollutants we put into the air would actually be less benefitial to the world's poor. What the world's poor needs instead, he said, is more money flow into their economies so they can have stronger economies, because it's easier to survive a thing like global warming if the poor have money and resources and more electricity for air conditioning.

I am so confused.
    Yet certainly not as confused as that misguided caller....
  • rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    I think the 3rd world countries have little hope of achieving Kyoto levels of cleanliness anytime soon. It would be hard on them given the state they are currently in. Actually ludacrous. They do need to stabilize their economies, we all do, and our lives as well.

Unfortunately the pseudo role models (gov't and media) portray examples to live by that are deplorable and anti-humanity in nature. It's a big game of kill your neighbor to steal his food. Why?

It seems curious that the rich posess this mentality the most. I can understand them needing to think like this to become more wealthy than everyone else, but why they choose to continue this line of thought with increasing ferocity I'll never understand.

It seems like a big "screw you...me first..." mentality. I get this everywhere I turn my head and look.

Why help someone when you can control them? The longer I think about it, the more I see the human equation here on earth as doomed.
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    I think the 3rd world countries have little hope of achieving Kyoto levels of cleanliness anytime soon. It would be hard on them given the state they are currently in. Actually ludacrous. They do need to stabilize their economies, we all do, and our lives as well.

I understand that much. What I don't understand is why it would be better for them (and the health of the planet?) to better their economies so they can use more resources for things like air conditioning. Doesn't that make the problem of greenhouse gases even worse?
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"