Options

The best and worst things about your country

Cuntified CCuntified C Posts: 114
edited September 2008 in A Moving Train
What are the best things and the worst things about the country you are from or the country you are living in?

I am from, and live in London, England.

The best things: You can get a very eclectic mix or people here. City types, goths, lots of foreigners from all over the world. You can get access to some good music venues, the social life here can be as good as you want it to be with the nightlife, gay clubs, restaurants etc. We got good transport over here. We have a free health care system.

The worst: it's bloody expensive! prices for accomodation, transport, even food. It's dirty where I'm from. People are not particularly friendly here but in some other places it's worse and the people can be false and insincere. Also, it's illegal to watch or buy a tv without signing up for a TV license. In other words you have to continually pay for having a TV license in your house else they'll come and get you, like they did me once. You have to pay council tax on the place you are living in or else you could face a criminal record or a prison sentence or both.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    Ireland:

Best Bits:

Saying, "Hey! I'm Irish" to any one when you are abroad because automatically you are loved!

We have a very friendly population with a great sense of humour. And this has tended to lead to some of the best creative and reinventing minds ever and also a thriving art, music and literature scene.

We have some kick ass music venues across the country

We have the 5th best music festival in the world according to billboard (Electric Picnic).

We have some incredible landscape and beaches and waves.

Guinness.

Worst Things:

We have always had incompetent and crooked governments and politicians which has led to a dreadful health system, an underfunded education system, a bad (but getting better now) transport system, underfunded police force, slow bureaucracy shit etc.

There are complete asshole scumbags who run rife and who like to shoot each other and deal drugs etc.

We have pompous, up their own arse rich SUV driving fuckers who go over the white line and park in two spaces and do nothing in their big BMW SUV but pick the kids up from school.

And we have wanabee rich up their own arse SUV driving fuckers who go over the white line and park in two spaces and do nothing in their big BMW SUV but pick the kids up from school.

We have a horrible national obsession with glorifying failures, near misses and terrorists. Examples: All grannies love Bertie Ahern even though he was a corrupt little vicious f**ker. The Irish soccer team draw = victory.

Fianna Fail get voted back in even though everyone bitches about their fuck ups. The reason being that we are afraid of change and we are a very gullible nation and we don't question those in a position of power enough. We take their words as the bible.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    The best and worst things about your country.

Best - Pearl Jam

Worst - Bon Jovi
  • Options
    Best:
    - We probably have one of the highest living standards in the world.
    - Social security (health insurance for everyone, unemployment rate 2 %)
    - political stability with a system called "concordance" (we don't have this government/opposition system, but exponents of the four biggest parties - right and left - build the executive). Direct democracy with plebiscites.
    - Peace.
    - Beauty of landscape.
    - Chocolate.

Worst:
    - We still invest billions in our army, which is ridiculous for a country of this size.
    - Still not really equal rights between men and women. Difficult for mothers with young children to find a decent job. People are pretty conservative on these issues here. Women only got the right to vote about 35 years ago.
  • Options
    NoKNoK Posts: 824
    PJAMEDVED wrote:

Worst - Bon Jovi

I do hate their music but Jon Bon Jovi does some pretty good stuff for his city. A lot of charity work. You got to respect that.
  • Options
    There are so many pros and cons for the United States that I couldn't even begin to list them all. Overall I'd rather be here than most other places.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    kanada

best: the relative integration of other cultures and religions into our culture
    worst: the oil sands
  • Options
    I'll give my reason for the USA

Pros: You really have the freedom to do what you want. There are only a few places in the world that if you worked hard enough, no race, class, or religious barriers will stop you from becoming the person you want to be.

Cons: Materialism and a decline in family values.

These are just my opinions
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Scotland

best: the people, the countryside, castles, invented fucking hundreds of stuff, its history, its reputation around the world, New Year celebrations,

worst. the people, rough areas of cities are very rough, we're attached politically and constitutionally to England still, religious bigotry.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    I'll give my reason for the USA

Pros: You really have the freedom to do what you want. There are only a few places in the world that if you worked hard enough, no race, class, or religious barriers will stop you from becoming the person you want to be.

True, there are few places in the world where race, class, and religous barriers don't keep people down. The United States isn't one of them.

Edit: Well now that I read your new thread I feel a little bad for my comment. :( But not bad enough to delete it. :D
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    True, there are few places in the world where race, class, and religous barriers don't keep people down. The United States isn't one of them.

Edit: Well now that I read your new thread I feel a little bad for my comment. :( But not bad enough to delete it. :D

Why, do you have an example of how you or someone you know has been repressed here in America? Don't feel bad, its expected here.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't live in a country that I felt oppressed my rights and freedoms.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    U.S.

Pros: The diversity of landscapes and people you can find here; West Virginia coalminers to Wall Street bankers and everything in between. It's alot of stimulus. Our arts are great; I think we've made some of the best films and music of the past century, and the U.S. along with the U.K. developed rock music which has been my lifeline often. We question and criticized our leaders much more than some other nations (including nations where it is not allowable). Although some of the powers that be have tried to shift this lately, I think often you can resist and criticize and be a patriot, rather than a traitor (or maybe that depends where you are). Finally, the U.S. is built upon the Constitution, one of the most marvelous documents in the history of the world and it allows us to peacefully change leaders every 4-8 years.

Cons: Probably the racism and prejudice that's still prevalent among many people in this country, and a failure among people to address concerns that may not be directly affecting them. Everyone's become a bit too individualistic (which people should be, considering we live in a capitalist society, but still). Older generations have not prepared well for their sons, daughters and grandchildren and seem slow to change to way things need to be going forward in the world (I think that's just my viewpoint). But in a word; prejudice. It's still extremely prevalent here, and may always will be.
  • Options
    I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't live in a country that I felt oppressed my rights and freedoms.

you (and many americans it must be said) talk about this as if its only applicable to the US... there are many many many democratic countries that have this 'rights' and 'freedoms' thing going on.

Its one of the recurring answers on this very thread from people of the US... it's quite strange i have to say.. i find it kinda amusing.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    U.S.

Pros: The diversity of landscapes and people you can find here; West Virginia coalminers to Wall Street bankers and everything in between. It's alot of stimulus. Our arts are great; I think we've made some of the best films and music of the past century, and the U.S. along with the U.K. developed rock music which has been my lifeline often. We question and criticized our leaders much more than some other nations (including nations where it is not allowable). Although some of the powers that be have tried to shift this lately, I think often you can resist and criticize and be a patriot, rather than a traitor (or maybe that depends where you are). Finally, the U.S. is built upon the Constitution, one of the most marvelous documents in the history of the world and it allows us to peacefully change leaders every 4-8 years.

Cons: Probably the racism and prejudice that's still prevalent among many people in this country, and a failure among people to address concerns that may not be directly affecting them. Everyone's become a bit too individualistic (which people should be, considering we live in a capitalist society, but still). Older generations have not prepared well for their sons, daughters and grandchildren and seem slow to change to way things need to be going forward in the world (I think that's just my viewpoint). But in a word; prejudice. It's still extremely prevalent here, and may always will be.

Thats a very good point...I agree with you that racism is still an issue no one wants to talk about.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    australia

the best: the distance. no one can be naffed coming all this way to fuck with us. :D

the worst: the tyranny of distance.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    USA

The best thing: Well most everyone wants to be here, it is the land of opportunity, just follow the laws.

The worst: Liberals
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    you (and many americans it must be said) talk about this as if its only applicable to the US... there are many many many democratic countries that have this 'rights' and 'freedoms' thing going on.

Its one of the recurring answers on this very thread from people of the US... it's quite strange i have to say.. i find it kinda amusing.

Well I didn't say that we where the only place. I lived in Germany for two years and got a chance to see most of Europe. I have second cousins living in Italy that I would visit now and again. I've had conversations with many Europeans over this issue, and my opinion now after living there, is that they don't have it better than us, and in some cases, don't have the choices we have.

I've never been to the UK though.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    Well I didn't say that we where the only place. I lived in Germany for two years and got a chance to see most of Europe. I have second cousins living in Italy that I would visit now and again. I've had conversations with many Europeans over this issue, and my opinion now after living there, is that they don't have it better than us, and in some cases, don't have the choices we have.

I've never been to the UK though.

give me 5 of those choices I dont have compared to you? in terms of rights and freedoms remember.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    give me 5 of those choices I dont have compared to you? in terms of rights and freedoms remember.

I never said you don't have any freedom. I know nothing about the UK or Scotland.

I'll give you an example about Germany.

Here in the USA, we protect peoples rights to free speech. Now I don't agree with hate groups or any of their causes, but in Germany, its illegal to reproduce the Swastika in public print. (from what I've been told and seen). Most hate groups there don't have the same protection that we have here in the states. Germany has done a lot to suppress their past; they don't even honor their war veterans like they should. I DO NOT SUPPORT ANY HATE GROUP, so don't read into this. I'm saying we give that right to freedom of speech and assembly here more so then in Germany, we don’t pick and choose who has the right.

I've also been told by Germans that once you take your high school exams (like our SATs) thats it, its final, the scores dictate if you go to college or not. Now I didn't read this, a couple of my German friends at the time voiced this to me.

They also have mandatory enlistments in Germany and Italy. You have to do 2 years of public service or one year of military service.

My cousin bitched about how hard it is to get a job in Italy, and how its close to impossible to make any upward mobility.

So once again, I can't speak for other countries I haven't been to, and all of this is stuff I heard from Europeans. I would love for someone who lives there to please correct me, this is what I've been told by your fellow citizens.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    Here in the USA, we protect peoples rights to free speech. Now I don't agree with hate groups or any of their causes, but in Germany, its illegal to reproduce the Swastika in public print. (from what I've been told and seen). Most hate groups there don't have the same protection that we have here in the states. Germany has done a lot to suppress their past; they don't even honor their war veterans like they should. I DO NOT SUPPORT ANY HATE GROUP, so don't read into this. I'm saying we give that right to freedom of speech and assembly here more so then in Germany, we don’t pick and choose who has the right.

uhh ... i've been to a few places in germany mainly berlin ... and the holcoaust memorial is one of the most strikingly beautiful and sad public spaces i've ever been to ... add the nuremburg trials display and the bricks that show the line of the berlin wall and to me you get a nation who has come to terms with its past ...

i will say not many countries mentioned here before have been so open about what atrocities they've committed ...
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    australia

the best: the distance. no one can be naffed coming all this way to fuck with us. :D

the worst: the tyranny of distance.

:) i agree with the distance. good and bad.

the best: beaches, weather, barbies, families, grand final day, andrew g, powderfinger, big day out, oh hell just about everything.

the worst: so remote and far away from the rest of the world. 22 hours to get home and then some.
  • Options
    I'm from The Midlands, UK. I was born just outside Nuneaton but now live in Coventry.

PROS

* History... and lots of it.
    * My city being famous for a naked chick on a horse and a bombed Cathedral... oozing class, all the way... ;)
    * Beautiful countryside
    * NHS
    * Zeppelin & Sabbath
    * Proper English Ale and Cider
    * Fish and Chips, Pie and Mash, scones and clotted cream and Pork and stuffing batches (NOT 'rolls', 'cobs', 'breadcakes' or 'buns'... BATCHES.)
    * Mr Kipling
    * British wildlife and the distinct lack of poisonous/deadly creatures.
    * Dry sarcastic sense of humour
    * English literature and poetry
    * The use of the words 'Bloody', 'Berk', 'Bollocks', 'Shite' and 'Bugger'.
    * Simon Pegg, Eddie Izzard and British comedy generally.
    * Darts and Snooker being on prime time TV
    * The sense of satisfaction we get when anyone mentions 'Waterloo', 'Agincourt' or 'Trafalgar'
    * The sense of satisfaction when anyone mentions the 1966 world cup...
    * English PJ fans and the Midlands crew :D
    * Our stiff upper lips and the action of having a cup of tea and drawing the curtains should anything get too hairy...

CONS

* The bloody weather!
    * The housing system
    * Pearl Jam aren't english
    * Football hooliganism
    * Madonna lives here
    * Fox hunting
    * Never seeing the sea
    * Chavs
    * Simple minded prejudice types
    * No one getting our sense fo humour
    * Not winning the world cup since 1966
    * Pearl Jam only doing 1 or 2 dates at a time here
    * Not enough Quiznos sub outlets
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options

The swastika is a sign of evil and shame to that country thats why they banned it. but germany also knows its not a 'right' or a freedom to display Nazi symbolism. Hey, imagine if a guy wanted to start an Al Qaida supprt group in the US... you know like the klan but instead it supported the actions of Osama Bin Laden's men.... do you think this group would be allowed to exercise its freedom of speech. nope.

but Germany is well placed above the US in terms of freedom of speech in regards to media - 20th to your 48th. interesting:-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reporters_Without_Borders#Worldwide_press_freedom_index

I've also been told by Germans that once you take your high school exams (like our SATs) thats it, its final, the scores dictate if you go to college or not. Now I didn't read this, a couple of my German friends at the time voiced this to me.

and this is a right how? in the US you only go to college if you or your parents have the money to put you through college is this correct? in Scotland everyone has the 'right' to free education right up to and including degree level. In america education to that standard is a privilege... not a right

They also have mandatory enlistments in Germany and Italy. You have to do 2 years of public service or one year of military service.

The German "Basic Law" requires that conscientious objection be possible, therefore draftees may elect to perform civilian service (Zivildienst or Wehrersatzdienst).

Its also not applicable to Italy anymore
    Italy had mandatory military service, for men only, until December 31 2004. The right to conscientious objection was legally recognized in 1972 so that a "non armed military service", or a community service, could be authorised as an alternative to those who required it

there is no conscription in the UK

My cousin bitched about how hard it is to get a job in Italy, and how its close to impossible to make any upward mobility.

one word - Detroit ;)

again a job and wealth are not a 'right' or 'freedom' but nevermind.

the US and Italy currently have the same unemployment rate of 6.10%.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    :) i agree with the distance. good and bad.

the best: beaches, weather, barbies, families, grand final day, andrew g, powderfinger, big day out, oh hell just about everything.

the worst: so remote and far away from the rest of the world. 22 hours to get home and then some.

good:
    spiders that do the killing for us.
    crocodiles that eat annoying tourists
    stingrays that dispose of annoying celebrities
    more freedom than the supposed most free country on earth
    socialised health system
    social security system
    the drones
    big waves
    tasmanian devils
    ben cousins
    pub rock
    tim rogers
    daniel johns
    nick cave

bad:
    brownlow medal ceremony telecast
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    dunkman wrote:
    The swastika is a sign of evil and shame to that country thats why they banned it. but germany also knows its not a 'right' or a freedom to display Nazi symbolism. Hey, imagine if a guy wanted to start an Al Qaida supprt group in the US... you know like the klan but instead it supported the actions of Osama Bin Laden's men.... do you think this group would be allowed to exercise its freedom of speech. nope.

Actually, the Ku Klux Klan is legal in the U.S. I believe. Growing up in Georgia, I saw a bunch of public Klan rallies (which scared the shit out of me, but they were there, legally marching, and were not arrested). I think if you were in the Klan and started trying to murder African-Americans then you'd run into problems, and if you belong to the Klan a majority of people in this country will shun you and think you're an asshole

And I don't know what you've seen, but I live in New York City, I'd say I walk by an average of half a dozen Osama Bin Laden/Al Qaeda supporters preaching from a sidewalk every week. Do people think they're crazy? Yes, but they're still there. As far as I know, I can't think of anyone who's been arrested recently for practicing the right of free speech. Considering the current administration, however, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm wrong.
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    Actually, the Ku Klux Klan is legal in the U.S. I believe. Growing up in Georgia, I saw a bunch of public Klan rallies (which scared the shit out of me, but they were there, legally marching, and were not arrested). I think if you were in the Klan and started trying to murder African-Americans then you'd run into problems, and if you belong to the Klan a majority of people in this country will shun you and think you're an asshole

i know its legal... whilst i understand the whole freedom of speech thing is sacred...this kinda thing happens... When Bush came to the Pittsburgh area on Labor Day 2002, 65-year-old retired steel worker Bill Neel was there to greet him with a sign proclaiming, “The Bush family must surely love the poor, they made so many of us.” The local police, at the Secret Service’s behest, set up a “designated free-speech zone” on a baseball field surrounded by a chain-link fence a third of a mile from the location of Bush’s speech. The police cleared the path of the motorcade of all critical signs, though folks with pro-Bush signs were permitted to line the president’s path. Neel refused to go to the designated area and was arrested for disorderly conduct;
    And I don't know what you've seen, but I live in New York City, I'd say I walk by an average of half a dozen Osama Bin Laden/Al Qaeda supporters preaching from a sidewalk every week. Do people think they're crazy? Yes, but they're still there. As far as I know, I can't think of anyone who's been arrested recently for practicing the right of free speech. Considering the current administration, however, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm wrong.

Free speech, or not free speech?

CASE: A month after September 11, William Harvey stood near the World Trade Center ruins wearing military fatigues and carrying a sign with Osama bin Laden's face superimposed over a photo of the towers. He passed out leaflets and allegedly told about 60 onlookers, "America is getting paid back for what it's doing to Islamic countries." (Members of the crowd responded by threatening Harvey's life.)

VERDICT: Not free speech, according to a Manhattan judge. Police arrested Harvey for disorderly conduct. His lawyer argued that a person can't be punished for expressing ideas simply because others don't want to hear them. The New York Civil Liberties Union suggested that rather than arrest Harvey, the police should have protected him. The judge refused to dismiss the charge, ruling that Harvey knew his words would cause "public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm." (The district attorney later dropped the charge.) Two weeks earlier another Manhattan judge heard a case in which five men had been arrested near Times Square for allegedly yelling: "It's good that the World Trade Center was bombed. More cops and firemen should have died! More bombs should have been dropped and more people should have been killed!" The judge said the rant was not protected speech because it was "plainly intended to incite" passersby. The DA dropped the most serious of the charges.

very isolated events... but you know... some guy has a cousin in Italy saying its hard to get a job.. so there is your parity :)
  • Options
    Just like I said before, I'm going by what I've been told by Europeans.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

but Germany is well placed above the US in terms of freedom of speech in regards to media - 20th to your 48th. interesting:-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reporters_Without_Borders#Worldwide_press_freedom_index

and this is a right how? in the US you only go to college if you or your parents have the money to put you through college is this correct? in Scotland everyone has the 'right' to free education right up to and including degree level. In america education to that standard is a privilege... not a right

The German "Basic Law" requires that conscientious objection be possible, therefore draftees may elect to perform civilian service (Zivildienst or Wehrersatzdienst).

Its also not applicable to Italy anymore
    Italy had mandatory military service, for men only, until December 31 2004. The right to conscientious objection was legally recognized in 1972 so that a "non armed military service", or a community service, could be authorised as an alternative to those who required it

there is no conscription in the UK

one word - Detroit ;)

again a job and wealth are not a 'right' or 'freedom' but nevermind.

the US and Italy currently have the same unemployment rate of 6.10%.

People do have extreme Islamic groups here in America, and it IS a right to show the Swastika, Burning Cross, Satanic symbolism or anything thats deemed taboo. You can't pick and choose who has the right and who doesn't. People burn flags here in America, people attend hate groups and protest. I don't agree with ANY of it, but its protected. And did any of those people here in the US get a permit to protest? You can't just protest randomly in public like that, there are proper channels to go about doing so. The police should arrest him for his own safety, you can get killed for shit like that in public, it doesn't make it right, but thats asking for trouble.

Anyone can go to college here in America. In fact, the poorer you are, the easier it is to go to school. Ivy league schools wave tuition now for people from poor backgrounds, and affirmative action almost guarantees a poor minorities entrance into school. I'm going to school full time now, eight years ago I joined the military with a couple hundred dollars to my name and saved my money so I can get where I am today. None of my family gave me a dime.

An unemployment "rate" is simply the amount of people that are let off from work at a specific time. It doesn't accurately reflect the actual amount of people still out of work.

And mandatory military service or civil service is still MANDITORY, we don't have that here even with the stress of our current deployments.

Don't get upset, I don't think Europe is some dismal place to live, I love it there. They have a lot of things I wish to adopt here in the states. I'm just tired of hearing how "we don't have any rights here" in the US, that’s bullshit. It wasn't too long ago that people from Europe came here to make something of themselves, and in many cases, they did.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    digster wrote:

Thank you
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    People do have extreme Islamic groups here in America, and it IS a right to show the Swastika, Burning Cross, Satanic symbolism or anything thats deemed taboo. You can't pick and choose who has the right and who doesn't. People burn flags here in America, people attend hate groups and protest. I don't agree with ANY of it, but its protected. And did any of those people here in the US get a permit to protest? You can't just protest randomly in public like that, there are proper channels to go about doing so. The police should arrest him for his own safety, you can get killed for shit like that in public, it doesn't make it right, but thats asking for trouble.

therefore you are not truly free to exercise your rights. you shouldn't need a permit to have a protest... if its your right to protest then its your right.. not some desk clerk who rubber stamps it 3 weeks in advance and you pay the permit fee. :D

and i'm amused at all of this because looking through the other replies the answer tend to be about what's best.. i.e. nature, scenery, social aspects... your (and others) best thing is that men in Texas can put on a white nightgown and a pointy hat and go through the streets of some shithole town demanding all blacks be strung from trees... not the Grand Canyon, not the National Parks, NY, its food, its culture... no, its the right to own a gun and shoot dead 4 kids per day under the age of 15.

as i said... amusing.