Options

The best and worst things about your country

Comments

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    digster wrote:

And for what it's worth, you're also wrong about Iceland, which was not an independent nation until 1944, (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ic.html) and the Isle of Man is to this day a dependent of the U.K. for outside relations, defense, and governance. I guess you forgot to mention all those in the race to make your point.

*sigh*

nice use of a US govt website there..

The Althing was also viewed as a part of Icelandic culture due to its long tradition in Iceland and its use as a unifying force for the citizens of the country, as well as its status as the oldest parliament in the world[26].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Althing

and for Isle of Man

Tynwald is usually said in the Isle of Man to be the oldest parliament in continuous existence in the world, having been established by 979 (though its roots may go back to the late 800s as the thing of Norse raiders not yet permanently resident on the island) and having continued to be held since that time without interruption.[1]

There are other parliaments which are undoubtedly older but these have not had a continuous existence. The Icelandic Alþingi was established in 930 but abolished in 1800 and not re-founded until 1845.

Th eIsle of Man still runs its own affairs, taxes, laws, education system, etc... its a country within a country.

i believe its called a 'freedoms'
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    dunkman wrote:
    *sigh*

nice use of a US govt website there..

The Althing was also viewed as a part of Icelandic culture due to its long tradition in Iceland and its use as a unifying force for the citizens of the country, as well as its status as the oldest parliament in the world[26].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Althing

and for Isle of Man

Tynwald is usually said in the Isle of Man to be the oldest parliament in continuous existence in the world, having been established by 979 (though its roots may go back to the late 800s as the thing of Norse raiders not yet permanently resident on the island) and having continued to be held since that time without interruption.[1]

There are other parliaments which are undoubtedly older but these have not had a continuous existence. The Icelandic Alþingi was established in 930 but abolished in 1800 and not re-founded until 1845.

Th eIsle of Man still runs its own affairs, taxes, laws, education system, etc... its a country within a country.

i believe its called a 'freedoms'

You should re-read your own claim, you said the longest on-going democracy. And like I said, it's hard to compare the democracy of the U.K., the U.S., etc, etc, to a country's parliament that until 1944 was not an independent nation. The whole self-governance, not being a colony thing kind of hurts your argument. You basically made a nice political ad, you took the things that were true to help your argument while ignoring the facts that didn't help. Well done, and also well done for ignoring the rest of my post and concentrating on the aside at the end.
  • Options
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    My cousin is getting married in Puerto Rico sometime soon I think. I'd love to go surfing and check out the local music maybe jam some. Sounds like a great place and there's rum. Sounds great to me.
    Im sure that you will love it. Surfing is best during the winter and the best beaches are found in the west coast especifically in the towns of Isabella, Aguadilla and Rincon. Chck this web sites out http://www.surfandboard.com/
    http://www.nyboricua.com/surf.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e13P3LxijLY&feature=related

If you want to know more just ask me. I will be pleased to let you know as much as possible.

by the way our currency is the US dollar and you dont need a passport to enter the island.
  • Options
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    :) i agree with the distance. good and bad.

the best: beaches, weather, barbies, families, grand final day, andrew g, powderfinger, big day out, oh hell just about everything.

the worst: so remote and far away from the rest of the world. 22 hours to get home and then some.

andrew g's hair needs it's own public holiday

i think the standout for us Aussies is our laid-back culture.. it's a fantastic disguise for our secret laziness ;) and i don't mind it when my local newsreader says words like 'stacked it' and 'dodgy knee' hehe.. yeh s'ok here

cons - so so far :(
    wah
  • Options

In regards to womens' rights... I remember when my aunt (whom I was staying with, along with my uncle) went to the bank to withdraw cash they wouldn't let her even though it was a joint account. Her husband had to be present for her to withdraw cash!!! She was absolutely furious!!!
    that's pretty much always the case when it's a joint account... otherwise one could take all the money and run off with it. It's nothing to do with her being a woman. It's pretty standard stuff!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    Well, if you want to turn this into a pissing match, I'd rather not. But since you turn your nose at the fact that somehow it took us till the 60's to move towards racial integration...are we talking about the same Europe? The one where you can't walk down the street in most western European countries without getting a whiff of casual racism or hatred of foreigners? That Europe? Or maybe you're talking about the Europe whose leftist citizens rail endlessly about the American imperialism throughout the world, but when genocide breaks out, whether in Darfur, Kosovo, or Rwanda, there's no citizen's outcry, much less any government intervention. That Europe? The British Imperialist Europe? The Europe that helped establish an apartheid system of governance in South Africa? Please tell me you're not trying to win some contest with who has the best record; no hands are clean. As I said, there's no point to a "my country is less racist/more advanced than your country" but please spare me that holier-than-thou crap.
    can't walk down a street in most western european countries without getting a whiff of casual racism or hatred of foreigners??? :confused: why is it so many Americans are pretty sure Obama would be assassinated were he elected?

no citizens outcry nor government intervention? Again: :confused: Please check your facts cos they're wrong.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    dunkman wrote:
    Scotland

best: the people, the countryside, castles, invented fucking hundreds of stuff, its history, its reputation around the world, New Year celebrations,

worst. the people, rough areas of cities are very rough, we're attached politically and constitutionally to England still, religious bigotry.

Lol, i went to post and was simply going to put.

Best - People

Worst - People

Read back first of all and saw that's how you started your best and worst list.

Its very true though, you can meet the best people and the worst people in the world, and it can be quite rough. I have seen gang fighting out my front window the last 2 nights in a row, and someone got stabbed on Sunday about 20 yards from the door to my close. Having said that, unless you're very unlucky, these wee neds mainly stick to trying to kill eachother, rather than random people, so ill let them off with it.

Other bests are undoubtedly our inventions without which the universe would collapse completely, probably.

Worst is not having our own government, but hopefully that will change before my time is up.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    Anyone from South Africa on the boards? Went there for a year a few years ago to work with a non-profit...beautiful, magnificent place.
    Yep there are a couple of south africans. And I agree... such a fucking fantastic country!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    can't walk down a street in most western european countries without getting a whiff of casual racism or hatred of foreigners??? :confused: why is it so many Americans are pretty sure Obama would be assassinated were he elected?

no citizens outcry nor government intervention? Again: :confused: Please check your facts cos they're wrong.

When did I say that because there is a prevalent amount of racism in many European countries (I know this both from eyewitness accounts to me and my personal experience in Europe) means there is no racism in America? If you go back to my pros and cons about the United States, I said the worst problem in the United States is the racism and prejudice. Racism might cause Barack Obama this election. However, the poster I was replying to had a pretty overt air of superiority, "look at how shoddy your race relations are compared to Europe." I was just trying to remind him that yes, your crap indeed does stink like the States.

And if you can prove your assertion that there has been government aid, humanitarian intervention and public outrcry regarding places like Darfur, Rwanda, Bosnia, etc. etc. in regards to their respective human rights atrocities in comparison to both aid and awareness in the States, I'd love to see it. Nowhere do I state that the U.S. does enough, but Europe does even less, and it strikes me as hypocritical that they would concentrate on the very real atrocities that America commits and not give when genocides occur elsewhere in the world. This is a Western nation problem, not an American problem, and when you have a rally of over 60,000 people in Washington, pressuring leaders on the genocide in Darfur, for example, I don't see that counterpart across the sea. You stated that my facts are wrong, but you haven't given me any evidence to show that they are wrong. Taking the Darfur genocide as an example, the U.S. Congress has thus far funded a vast amount for the African Union troops stationed there; it has been the member of the Security Council pushing for sanctions. European powers have opted out entirely of peace-keeping. America has not done as much as I would like, but at least they have done something; why is Europe, so prescient about America's human rights violations, not taking a role of leadership in conflicts such as these? Smacks a bit of hypocrisy to me.

EDIT: Also, in the recent past when military intervention has been organized and authorized by NATO to try and stop genocide (both in Bosnia and Kosovo), it is the U.S. military and air force that primarily does the work and foots the bill. I understand that much of this is due to the fact that America has the largest military in NATO, but I would want to see more European leadership, of which there's been slim to none.
  • Options
    ThecureThecure Posts: 814
    For Canada

Pros:
    not going bankrupt if i get sick
    The land is just beautiful from the east coast to the west coast
    The women
    affordable education
    sarcastism

Cons
    waitlists for hospital visits
    the way we treat the 1st nations
    people don't explore our country

there is just a long list of things that i love about canada and they are many thinsg i don't like abotu Canada. teh think the biggest thing that i don't like is that we don't really have a sense of pride in our country (maybe just my perception)
    People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)
  • Options
    My country: America

Best thing: People have lots of freedom

Worst thing: People have lots of freedom

:P
  • Options
    that's pretty much always the case when it's a joint account... otherwise one could take all the money and run off with it. It's nothing to do with her being a woman. It's pretty standard stuff!

umm... what? In the U.S. my wife or I can withdraw cash from our joint account separately. Are you saying that across the pond BOTH parties have to be present to withdraw cash from a joint account? If so... that is retarded. Why would you ever open a joint account? It would be so cumbersome to use rather than just having two separate accounts so you can actually USE the cash in your account.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    umm... what? In the U.S. my wife or I can withdraw cash from our joint account separately. Are you saying that across the pond BOTH parties have to be present to withdraw cash from a joint account? If so... that is retarded. Why would you ever open a joint account? It would be so cumbersome to use rather than just having two separate accounts so you can actually USE the cash in your account.

no. this is definitely not the case across the pond.. although Helen is from Ireland maybe its the case there.. but not here in the UK.

and i dont think Helen has ever had a joint bank account.. could be wrong.. but i doubt it :D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    USA

The best thing: Well most everyone wants to be here, it is the land of opportunity, just follow the laws.

The worst: Conservatives.
  • Options
    Best: Microbreweries, Football, Basketball, Hawaii, huge diversity in regards to landscape, people, personalities, and lifestyles.

Worst: Self-hating Americans, Pompous, arrogant idiots, religion creeping into every aspect of life, lack of self discipline.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Best: Love, compassion, forgiveness, courage, kindness, benevolence, truth, joy, peace, hope, serenity, humility, empathy, generosity, faith

Worst: Hate, fear, bigotry, ignorance, materialism, deception, self-indulgence, anger, envy, sorrow, greed, arrogance, ego
    "In this cause I too am prepared to die. There is no cause for which I am prepared to kill" -Gandhi

Iraq Veterans Against the War
    www.ivaw.org
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    digster wrote:
    When did I say that because there is a prevalent amount of racism in many European countries (I know this both from eyewitness accounts to me and my personal experience in Europe) means there is no racism in America? If you go back to my pros and cons about the United States, I said the worst problem in the United States is the racism and prejudice. Racism might cause Barack Obama this election. However, the poster I was replying to had a pretty overt air of superiority, "look at how shoddy your race relations are compared to Europe." I was just trying to remind him that yes, your crap indeed does stink like the States.

A prevalent amount of racism? Maybe you're just a real jerk and people didn't like you. I live in Europe, I've been travelling in Europe my entire life, my parents don't work in the country where I was born and raised. And I'm currently living in another European country. All my friends have traveled through Europe as well. They live in Europe, right now at least 7 of my friends live in a different European country, and so does my brother.

There is no prevalent racism. I've walked down a lot of Western European streets as a foreigner but the racism isn't as blatant as you seem to profess.

The overt air of superiority, my friend, usually comes from Americans. Although this is not a contest many Americans only use superlatives to talk about their country: it's the most free, the greatest and best country in the world. I can tell you this from personal experience, and it's not very hard to find examples of this overt air of superiority in the USA.

Well, I think many Europeans feel that Americans deserve a reality check. Many European nations trump the US in freedom of speech, for example. (By the way, it's funny how you say this is not a contest yet before dunk even mentioned something about the States you felt the need to compare your country with other countries: "We question and criticized our leaders much more than some other nations"

It's not a contest, there's no need to say "much more than some other nations." You made this into a contest, buddy.
    And if you can prove your assertion that there has been government aid, humanitarian intervention and public outrcry regarding places like Darfur, Rwanda, Bosnia, etc. etc. in regards to their respective human rights atrocities in comparison to both aid and awareness in the States, I'd love to see it. Nowhere do I state that the U.S. does enough, but Europe does even less, and it strikes me as hypocritical that they would concentrate on the very real atrocities that America commits and not give when genocides occur elsewhere in the world. This is a Western nation problem, not an American problem, and when you have a rally of over 60,000 people in Washington, pressuring leaders on the genocide in Darfur, for example, I don't see that counterpart across the sea. You stated that my facts are wrong, but you haven't given me any evidence to show that they are wrong. Taking the Darfur genocide as an example, the U.S. Congress has thus far funded a vast amount for the African Union troops stationed there; it has been the member of the Security Council pushing for sanctions. European powers have opted out entirely of peace-keeping. America has not done as much as I would like, but at least they have done something; why is Europe, so prescient about America's human rights violations, not taking a role of leadership in conflicts such as these? Smacks a bit of hypocrisy to me.

EDIT: Also, in the recent past when military intervention has been organized and authorized by NATO to try and stop genocide (both in Bosnia and Kosovo), it is the U.S. military and air force that primarily does the work and foots the bill. I understand that much of this is due to the fact that America has the largest military in NATO, but I would want to see more European leadership, of which there's been slim to none.

There is definitely a lot of awareness about Darfur in the US, both on political level and on individual level. And a lot of awareness about it has been 'brought' to Europe by American organisations.

That being said, I think it's rather low that you use a genocide to show how much better the US is than European nations. Also, you should really read more about European politics and European institution. Furthermore, you might want to check out the United Nations. You know, it was established to solve world problems... All Western European countries are members. And you're right, there's NATO, again just take a look at the members list. One might say they don't work, especially the UN... but one might say that's because of a particular country.

I could just as easily turn this whole thing around by mentioning some other world problems. Ones where US involvement isn't considered a good thing.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    digster wrote:

:confused: my brother's in Kosovo at the mo for the second time. He's also served in Lebanon and Liberia with the IRISH army doing both peace KEEPING and peace enforcing!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    all I was saying was that that was most likely the case. Nothing to do with a woman being unable to withdraw without her husbands permission... in SWITZERLAND??? :eek: cmon!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    the social welfare system

the social welfare system
    # 2000: Hamburg # 2006: Berlin # 2007: Munich * Dusseldorf # 2009: Berlin * Manchester * London # 2010: Dublin * Belfast * Berlin # 2012: Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen # 2014: Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2 # EV 2017: Berlin ____  * 2018: Amsterdam I & II * Prague * Krakow * Berlin # 2022: Berlin- Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam I - Amsterdam II
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    A prevalent amount of racism? Maybe you're just a real jerk and people didn't like you. I live in Europe, I've been travelling in Europe my entire life, my parents don't work in the country where I was born and raised. And I'm currently living in another European country. All my friends have traveled through Europe as well. They live in Europe, right now at least 7 of my friends live in a different European country, and so does my brother.

There is no prevalent racism. I've walked down a lot of Western European streets as a foreigner but the racism isn't as blatant as you seem to profess.

Well, let's go through this all one by one, because I think you overdramatize most of what I said and said some things that just weren't true. First of all,

http://www.socialistworker.co.uk/art.php?id=1893
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4594019.stm
    http://www.un.org/Pubs/chronicle/2004/issue4/0404p32.html
    http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_1950.shtml
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage ... in+France'

These are a few articles I pulled up to show you that more people than just a jerk like myself have noticed that there is a problem among European nations, including the United Kingdom and particularly in France, regarding race relations, particularly foreigners. As you're living in Europe, it's hard for me to believe you haven't heard this come up. I've encountered it myself on my trips through Europe; as I said, the issue is extremely problematic in France. Now, I've been called an asshole by some people, but not by many people, and I've certainly never seen me being an asshole lead to someone becoming racist. That's a leap in logic you make that I don't really understand. I didn't personally percieve racism, probably because I'm white. But the casual racism regarding foreigners, particularly immigrants from many white Europeans I met is a problem that is very real, and as I've shown has been seen by more people than just myself (it should also be said that I got all those articles from the first page of a Google hit. There's plenty more where that came from). If you don't see that problem, or want to call me a "jerk" because I noted that it happens, that it's real and that from what I've studied and what I've experienced it is widespread, than that's your issue, not mine.

Collin wrote:

The overt air of superiority, my friend, usually comes from Americans. Although this is not a contest many Americans only use superlatives to talk about their country: it's the most free, the greatest and best country in the world. I can tell you this from personal experience, and it's not very hard to find examples of this overt air of superiority in the USA.

Well, I think many Europeans feel that Americans deserve a reality check. Many European nations trump the US in freedom of speech, for example. (By the way, it's funny how you say this is not a contest yet before dunk even mentioned something about the States you felt the need to compare your country with other countries: "We question and criticized our leaders much more than some other nations"

It's not a contest, there's no need to say "much more than some other nations." You made this into a contest, buddy.

Well, that goes back to my question of what you would care if an American has pride in his country? I have pride in my country and question it relentlessly; that's the entire point. And when you say

In regards to that quote you mentioned, I commend you for treating your post like a political ad and removing some parts of my quote that dispute the meaning you gave to it...I said, "We question and criticized our leaders much more than some other nations (including nations where it is not allowable). Although some of the powers that be have tried to shift this lately, I think often you can resist and criticize and be a patriot, rather than a traitor (or maybe that depends where you are)." All of these things are true; I believe we do criticize and question our leaders more than many other nations can and do. Take for example, Zimbabwe. If you criticize there, you may have your legs broken by Mugabe's hit squad. Take Russia, where television, and many (but not all papers) are state-sanctioned and controlled, which makes mainstream criticism of the ruling powers difficult. Here, in the States, Ralph Nader may be marginialized, he may be viewed as a cook, he may be seen as a spoiler, and he may never win a presidential election, but it is not illegal to attend one of his rallies, to campaign for him, etc. In some countries, it is. I will note that since apparently you think because I criticize parts of Europe, I'm some dumbass redneck from the States who doesn't know shit, these freedoms are prevalent throughout Western Europe. Opposing views are often marginialized, but rarely are they criminal. This is not the end of the road, but it's something to be commended.

I don't really view that as a pissing match against other countries, I view it as a part of our Constitution. But since you cut out half of my quote, people don't get that part. So next time if you're going to attack me on something I said please include everything I said.

Also, speaking about the Constitution, I mentioned that in the same post you quoted from me, that the freedoms that were inherent in that document paved the way for the development of many western European democracies. I don't believe I said that the U.S. is undoubtedly the freest country in the world. How the hell would I know that? I haven't been to every country in the world. But again, in that first post, I have a sense of pride and history of the importance of the Constitution as a document, and that it has allowed us to peaceably (with one big exception) transfer power every four to eight years. You're reading alot more into what I said then was said. And when dunkman tried to lecture me about the illegitimacy and slow-moving nature of U.S. political action while clearly showing he didn't know what he was talking about, I thought he should get a taste of his own medicine. I'm not here to mercilessly critique Europe, but I also don't subscribe to the foolish notion that since the U.S. is a country with a bad streak of foreign policy decision, I should therefore remain mute when a European nation commits an action (or an inaction) I find reprehensible? As a European, would you hold your tongue if the U.S. did something horrible due to the flaws of your own country? No, nor should you. If the U.S. does something stupid in foreign policy, they should be called on it. If Germany, Zimbabwe, India, whatever, does something stupid in foreign policy, they should be called on it.
    Collin wrote:

There is definitely a lot of awareness about Darfur in the US, both on political level and on individual level. And a lot of awareness about it has been 'brought' to Europe by American organisations.

That being said, I think it's rather low that you use a genocide to show how much better the US is than European nations. Also, you should really read more about European politics and European institution. Furthermore, you might want to check out the United Nations. You know, it was established to solve world problems... All Western European countries are members. And you're right, there's NATO, again just take a look at the members list. One might say they don't work, especially the UN... but one might say that's because of a particular country.

I could just as easily turn this whole thing around by mentioning some other world problems. Ones where US involvement isn't considered a good thing.

It's low? How the hell is calling a country or set of countries, whichever they may be, on their inaction in some of the largest humanitarian crises facing our world 'low?' Screw that, I shall criticize my own country and others for inaction, because I feel such genocides are some of the most horrific problems facing our world today. So, again, spare me the "you've reached a new low" tactic. It stinks. You're also heavy on being a blowhard in this post, and short on facts. I mentioned before that, what little action has been done in the U.N. regarding the Darfur crisis has largely been by the U.S. (and do I have to spell out in big letters that it hasn't been enough, just so you don't go accusing me of being a U.S. apologist?) U.S. has backed much of the funds for the African Union currently stationed there. Much of the legislation proposed by the U.N. has been blocked in the Security Council by Russia and China, due to their financial interests in the region. Does this make the U.S. blameless? No, but facts are facts, and what limited international governmental action has been committed in regards to this crisis and other crises in recent history where genocide/humanitarian relief is involved has been through the U.S. You may disagree with me, but don't be so thick that because I believe this you paint me to be some arrogant foolish asshole. And while we're at it, quit the crap, such as "you might want to check out the United Nations." Thanks for the tip; any other arrogant things you could say in the midst of accusing me of arrogance? The United Nations is one of the greatest inventions of the past fifty years, but for the most part it has not lived up to its' mantra of preventing genocide ("Never again", but I mean, if someone who doesn't know anything about the UN knows that it was started in direct reaction to the genocide I'm sure someone like you does). I believe and hope that it will, and despite it's faults it remains one of our best options of resolving conflicts peacefully.

The problem with you is that you seem to believe it can only be one way or the other. If I'm critical of Europe, I must love every single thing the United States does, obviously. For some reason, you can't see that people should be reasonable and criticize all countries for their failings, not just their own. Dissent, criticism, advocacy...all things that are important to the U.S. Constitution, and all things that are important to the democracies of Europe.
  • Options
    :confused: my brother's in Kosovo at the mo for the second time. He's also served in Lebanon and Liberia with the IRISH army doing both peace KEEPING and peace enforcing!

Extremely fair point. When I mentioned that the intervention was primarily military, I was referring to the inital intervention and the aftermath, not specifically long-term peacekeeping duties. Should have mentioned that.\

Funny, my first cousin did the same thing, finished his own tour in Kosovo about a year ago.
  • Options
    the friendly treading of children

that they have no idear about ecology

orcanic food etc.

how they tread children

i am living between two countrys
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    Extremely fair point. When I mentioned that the intervention was primarily military, I was referring to the inital intervention and the aftermath, not specifically long-term peacekeeping duties. Should have mentioned that.\

Funny, my first cousin did the same thing, finished his own tour in Kosovo about a year ago.
    no that's fair enough. Just that peace keeping is quite a long and proud tradition in the Irish army :) I know we're only a minor part of it but it's quite a big thing for us cos we're a tiny army. We're a neutral country anyway so according to our constitution, and how I'd like to keep it, we can't actually intervene anyway. We will always have a big tradition of charity stuff b;utg that's all we can do. We never expected anyone to intervene here... actually the problem was we wanted them to leave.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    best: the amazing people that live here
    worst: the (sometimes) moronic people that we elect to office
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    digster wrote:
    Well, let's go through this all one by one, because I think you overdramatize most of what I said and said some things that just weren't true. First of all,

http://www.socialistworker.co.uk/art.php?id=1893
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4594019.stm
    http://www.un.org/Pubs/chronicle/2004/issue4/0404p32.html
    http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_1950.shtml
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage ... in+France'

These are a few articles I pulled up to show you that more people than just a jerk like myself have noticed that there is a problem among European nations, including the United Kingdom and particularly in France, regarding race relations, particularly foreigners. As you're living in Europe, it's hard for me to believe you haven't heard this come up. I've encountered it myself on my trips through Europe; as I said, the issue is extremely problematic in France. Now, I've been called an asshole by some people, but not by many people, and I've certainly never seen me being an asshole lead to someone becoming racist. That's a leap in logic you make that I don't really understand. I didn't personally percieve racism, probably because I'm white. But the casual racism regarding foreigners, particularly immigrants from many white Europeans I met is a problem that is very real, and as I've shown has been seen by more people than just myself (it should also be said that I got all those articles from the first page of a Google hit. There's plenty more where that came from). If you don't see that problem, or want to call me a "jerk" because I noted that it happens, that it's real and that from what I've studied and what I've experienced it is widespread, than that's your issue, not mine.

Well, that goes back to my question of what you would care if an American has pride in his country? I have pride in my country and question it relentlessly; that's the entire point. And when you say

In regards to that quote you mentioned, I commend you for treating your post like a political ad and removing some parts of my quote that dispute the meaning you gave to it...I said, "We question and criticized our leaders much more than some other nations (including nations where it is not allowable). Although some of the powers that be have tried to shift this lately, I think often you can resist and criticize and be a patriot, rather than a traitor (or maybe that depends where you are)." All of these things are true; I believe we do criticize and question our leaders more than many other nations can and do. Take for example, Zimbabwe. If you criticize there, you may have your legs broken by Mugabe's hit squad. Take Russia, where television, and many (but not all papers) are state-sanctioned and controlled, which makes mainstream criticism of the ruling powers difficult. Here, in the States, Ralph Nader may be marginialized, he may be viewed as a cook, he may be seen as a spoiler, and he may never win a presidential election, but it is not illegal to attend one of his rallies, to campaign for him, etc. In some countries, it is. I will note that since apparently you think because I criticize parts of Europe, I'm some dumbass redneck from the States who doesn't know shit, these freedoms are prevalent throughout Western Europe. Opposing views are often marginialized, but rarely are they criminal. This is not the end of the road, but it's something to be commended.

I don't really view that as a pissing match against other countries, I view it as a part of our Constitution. But since you cut out half of my quote, people don't get that part. So next time if you're going to attack me on something I said please include everything I said.

Also, speaking about the Constitution, I mentioned that in the same post you quoted from me, that the freedoms that were inherent in that document paved the way for the development of many western European democracies. I don't believe I said that the U.S. is undoubtedly the freest country in the world. How the hell would I know that? I haven't been to every country in the world. But again, in that first post, I have a sense of pride and history of the importance of the Constitution as a document, and that it has allowed us to peaceably (with one big exception) transfer power every four to eight years. You're reading alot more into what I said then was said. And when dunkman tried to lecture me about the illegitimacy and slow-moving nature of U.S. political action while clearly showing he didn't know what he was talking about, I thought he should get a taste of his own medicine. I'm not here to mercilessly critique Europe, but I also don't subscribe to the foolish notion that since the U.S. is a country with a bad streak of foreign policy decision, I should therefore remain mute when a European nation commits an action (or an inaction) I find reprehensible? As a European, would you hold your tongue if the U.S. did something horrible due to the flaws of your own country? No, nor should you. If the U.S. does something stupid in foreign policy, they should be called on it. If Germany, Zimbabwe, India, whatever, does something stupid in foreign policy, they should be called on it.

It's low? How the hell is calling a country or set of countries, whichever they may be, on their inaction in some of the largest humanitarian crises facing our world 'low?' Screw that, I shall criticize my own country and others for inaction, because I feel such genocides are some of the most horrific problems facing our world today. So, again, spare me the "you've reached a new low" tactic. It stinks. You're also heavy on being a blowhard in this post, and short on facts. I mentioned before that, what little action has been done in the U.N. regarding the Darfur crisis has largely been by the U.S. (and do I have to spell out in big letters that it hasn't been enough, just so you don't go accusing me of being a U.S. apologist?) U.S. has backed much of the funds for the African Union currently stationed there. Much of the legislation proposed by the U.N. has been blocked in the Security Council by Russia and China, due to their financial interests in the region. Does this make the U.S. blameless? No, but facts are facts, and what limited international governmental action has been committed in regards to this crisis and other crises in recent history where genocide/humanitarian relief is involved has been through the U.S. You may disagree with me, but don't be so thick that because I believe this you paint me to be some arrogant foolish asshole. And while we're at it, quit the crap, such as "you might want to check out the United Nations." Thanks for the tip; any other arrogant things you could say in the midst of accusing me of arrogance? The United Nations is one of the greatest inventions of the past fifty years, but for the most part it has not lived up to its' mantra of preventing genocide ("Never again", but I mean, if someone who doesn't know anything about the UN knows that it was started in direct reaction to the genocide I'm sure someone like you does). I believe and hope that it will, and despite it's faults it remains one of our best options of resolving conflicts peacefully.

The problem with you is that you seem to believe it can only be one way or the other. If I'm critical of Europe, I must love every single thing the United States does, obviously. For some reason, you can't see that people should be reasonable and criticize all countries for their failings, not just their own. Dissent, criticism, advocacy...all things that are important to the U.S. Constitution, and all things that are important to the democracies of Europe.

Racism in a problem in Europe, I never claimed otherwise. I'm saying you can walk down many, many, many European streets without experiencing racism. I think it's not as blatant or prevalent as you say.

I don't have a problem with people having pride in their country. You said it wasn't a pissing match but chose to compare the US to other countries. That was not necessary, even in context. How would you react if someone said 'I like my country because you can grow your own weed and you can't in the US.' It's pointless and useless to mention the US, just like it was pointless and useless to mention other countries. That's my opinion. Again, I don't care if you're proud of your freedoms. But if someone should imply that the US is the only country with said freedoms, I will correct him.

No, you didn't say the US is the freest and best country in the world. I've talked to many, many Americans who have said that and I've seen plenty examples of this ethnocentrism in the US.

The US obviously isn't a team player, eh? Even as a member of an international organisation the need to stress the US importance cannot be surpressed.

As for all the assumptions you made about me, they're all wrong.

And as for your last point, "people should be reasonable and criticize all countries for their failings, not just their own." I agree, just let me know when criticising the US is a pissing match and when it's ok.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Best thing: the food
    Worst thing: the weather
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Collin wrote:
    Racism has been steadily rising in most of western europe for a few years, if you care to search a little you'll find more sources than you want. My friends aren't racist either, it doesn't mean that some people in my country aren't.
    best: food
    worst : president
  • Options
    Best thing: the food
    Worst thing: the weather
    :confused: the food? Really? I mean, I know there's good food in Ireland... but surely the pubs would rank above that... or were you just stuffed when you wrote that :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Norway:
    Pros:
    The environment: I't kinda cliche, but the fjords are magnificent, especially when watching them from above on a mountain top. I also like the fact that in most places in Norway you dont have to go far to be in nature. Especially in the Western part (where I live and am from). This close proximity with nature is perhaps the reason norwegians are quite environmentally aware.
    The politics: Comprehensive welfare state with one of the best coverages in the world. Social democratic consensus-oriented politics devoted to finding good solutions that most people can live with. (a necessary virtue as there are many small parties) At the forefront of gender equality measures and gay rights. (recently passed law that removed "man and woman" prerequisite, legislating gay marriage)
    The women: Beautiful and strong-minded. Not to dis women from elsewhere, but Norwegian/Scandinavian women are really spectacular specimens. :)

Cons:
    Environmentally: Relies too much on the national oil exporting sector, instead of pushing forward with new technologies. The state oil company generates a lot of money for Norway, and it's a bit too easy for politicians to allow just a little more drilling all the time.
    Politics: Rightwing populist quasi-racist bullshit party on the rise. The party that latches on to any discontent it can find, be that car owners, climate sceptics, racists or what have you. God I hope they never get to rule. They're the closest we have to republicans.

That's some at least.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965