Options

Bernards mother accused of killing her son

SuzannePjamSuzannePjam Posts: 411
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
So sad. This just happened in the town I live in right around the corner from my old house.

Bernards mother accused of killing her son

Woman in Basking Ridge section hospitalized after trying to commit suicide, police say.

By BRANDON LAUSCH
Staff Writer

BERNARDS -- A Basking Ridge woman has been charged with killing her 12-year-old son in their Linden Drive home before slitting her wrists, arms and ankles in a failed suicide attempt, authorities said.

Denise Volpicelli, 44, of 101 Linden Drive was charged with first-degree murder in the Friday death of her son, Jack Kimzey, according to Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne J. Forrest and Bernards police Chief Robert Kumpf.

Authorities arrived at the home at about 8:45 p.m. Friday, after Volpicelli's husband, William Kimzey, came home from work to find an apparent suicide note in their bedroom and no signs of Volpicelli or their son.

Authorities have not disclosed what the note said.

Bernards police officers searched the home and found the 12-year-old boy dead on the basement floor and Volpicelli in a basement bathroom bleeding profusely from self-inflicted knife wounds, Forrest said.

Preliminary findings show that suffocation may have been a cause or contributing factor to the boy's death, though official results depend on autopsy reports that could take four to eight weeks to finish, Forrest said.

Authorities are still investigating the details of how the alleged homicide was committed.

Volpicelli is in serious condition and under police guard at Morristown Memorial Hospital, authorities said, and police have not yet interviewed her.

Her bail is set at $200,000 cash or bond, according to Forrest.

Neighbors described Jack Kimzey, who was entering seventh grade at William Annin Middle School, as a sports enthusiast who played soccer and tennis. Neighbors also said he loved his dog, Cali.

Marieke Kester, 19, said Volpicelli was a "really involved parent" who drove her children to school and got the family dog from a friend just "because Jack liked her."

"She's a good mother, I think, as far as I can tell," said Kester, adding that she was good friends with Jack's older sister, Elizabeth, a 19-year-old student attending Brown University. Elizabeth Kimzey had received a commendation from the Bernards Township Board of Education for being a National Merit Scholarship finalist.

Cheryl Sinauskas of Basking Ridge said she talked to the Kimzeys' former next-door neighbors, who moved out of the area in late June. Sinauskas said she was told Saturday that the Kimzeys "were very nice people." And, judging by the friendly exchanges with then while walking along the street, Sinauskas said she agreed.

"The kids were nice; she was just a very nice neighbor," she said. "When she was walking the dog she would say the usual cordialities."

"It just makes me sick to think that something like that could happen," said Sinauskas, who has lived in the area for nearly two decades. "They're just a normal Basking Ridge couple."

Kimzey and Volpicelli bought the house in June 2002 for $690,000, according to records in the Somerset County Clerk's Office.

Forrest said that anyone with information about the incident should call either the Bernards Township Police Department at (908) 766-1122 or the prosecutor's Major Crimes Squad at (908) 231-7100.

"As you an imagine, although this is considered a crime, this is a real tragedy both for the family and the community," Forrest said. Brandon Lausch can be reached at (908) 782-2300 or blausch@c-n.com .

from the Courier News website http://www.c-n.com
"Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    failed suicide attempt..............how convenient
  • Options
    Dollpartz wrote:
    failed suicide attempt..............how convenient
    I know. If you want to commit suicide, why not just kill yourself?
    "Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
    But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    why fucking kill the kid, bitch should of just threw herself out the window of building makes me sick to think about those last minutes of that kids life being a parent of a 12 year old son i fucking hate shit like this arhhhhh arhhhhhhhhh arhhhhhhhhhh.............
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....