Options

Canadians get off your ass and vote today.

RolandTD20KdrummerRolandTD20Kdrummer Posts: 13,066
edited October 2007 in A Moving Train
There is a referendum attached to this one, and they don't come around often.

I just finished voting at my nearest school and I went, voted, and was back home in 7 minutes flat.

A+++ for voting efficiency.
Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
( o.O)
(")_(")
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Federal election? Should all of Canada get out there today? :)
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    :p

Yeah, but....it's David Lee Roth's birthday, today! :D We have our priorities!

And it's province-wide, not Canada-wide.

So, back to Dave's birthday.....
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    angelica wrote:

Besala babba la zibbi la bop!
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    angelica wrote:

ewwww. really?

ewwww.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Besala babba la zibbi la bop!
    Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla*!! :D

*translation: "get out and vote, people!"
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

• Options
    I guess I'm American at heart. The world doesn't exist outside of my state/province...

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    I watched a one hour The Agenda on the referendum and I'm not closer to understanding the implications. So I'm not voting. I prefer indifference over ignorance. I know lots of people are going to go and vote for or against something they are totally ignorant of, simply to fill this paradigm "If you don't vote, you can't complain". Well I'm not voting, and I'll complain if I want to.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options

• Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I watched a one hour The Agenda on the referendum and I'm not closer to understanding the implications. So I'm not voting. I prefer indifference over ignorance. I know lots of people are going to go and vote for or against something they are totally ignorant of, simply to fill this paradigm "If you don't vote, you can't complain". Well I'm not voting, and I'll complain if I want to.

The current PC candidate in my riding is dead set against voting for change, and he's making a big point locally to coerce people into keeping it the same, so that, combined with the concept of more power to the voters, tells me definitely vote yes for changing the system.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    rybesrybes Posts: 136
    Same experience her, took me roughly five minutes to leave home, vote and return. Very efficient.
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    voted yes for mmp and green today ... my riding will go to the ndp guy hands down ...
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    polaris wrote:
    voted yes for mmp and green today ... my riding will go to the ndp guy hands down ...

yay!
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    The current PC candidate in my riding is dead set against voting for change, and he's making a big point locally to coerce people into keeping it the same, so that, combined with the concept of more power to the voters, tells me definitely vote yes for changing the system.

Well I don't like the list system, but I'm not entirely sure of the impact it would have. It sounds like you can't elect some mmps, some will be selected by the party instead. I'd probably vote for Khalil the Liberal, simply because he's Paki apparently, but I don't know anything else about him.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Well I don't like the list system, but I'm not entirely sure of the impact it would have. It sounds like you can't elect some mmps, some will be selected by the party instead. I'd probably vote for Khalil the Liberal, simply because he's Paki apparently, but I don't know anything else about him.

You should vote something. Vote green party, or just go and write "fuck you" across the entire ballot in large capital letters :p

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    You should vote something. Vote green party, or just go and write "fuck you" across the entire ballot in large capital letters :p

How do I know "Fuck You" isn't one of the candidates?

I'd vote for a woman, but I'm a little nervous that women think they are better. I heard one say "We need to get at least a 50% female representation". "At least"? wouldn't 50% be the maximum egalitarian situation, anymore would be swinging the other way. I swear, it's motivated primarily by self-interest.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

I'd vote for a woman, but I'm a little nervous that women think they are better. I heard one say "We need to get at least a 50% female representation". "At least"? wouldn't 50% be the maximum egalitarian situation, anymore would be swinging the other way. I swear, it's motivated primarily by self-interest.

hahahhaaaa!
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

I think Fuck You dropped out in 2006. He was replaced by Hugh Jarshole in 2007. :p

95% of the ballot takers were women.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    i do not have enough Trust in this conservative Gov For them to pick thier own representatives. If passed, it will be easy to get a few good actors and bias clowns (under the radar) to pose in parliment always strongly in favor of the Prime Ministers path that will (without doubt) get more media coverage.

If Passed,
    Who says the chosen ones can't be bought??? or favoured??
    actors, bias, puppets, tools, all to fool you....

..no.

Its like having the most delicious apple in your hands. Then you are blind folded and you bite into the apple. It tastes Great. Still blindfolded you continue to eat this delicous jucy apple, to find a big rotton spot on the otherside that you did't see at first but unknowingly had a taste of, spit out.
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    The whole political scene in Canada is depressing. Where's the leadership ? Where's the democracy ? Where are the legitimate choices ? Ugh.

Just out of curiosity, I see that the MMP referendum is going to fail. I have my suspicians why, but what do others think about why this failed ???
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    The whole political scene in Canada is depressing. Where's the leadership ? Where's the democracy ? Where are the legitimate choices ? Ugh.

Just out of curiosity, I see that the MMP referendum is going to fail. I have my suspicians why, but what do others think about why this failed ???

The MPP system failed because 1) it was totally not publicized, half the people I knew had no idea there was a referendum and 2) it was a load of crap, we already have the unelected federal senate which I hate, do we really need a bunch more appointed politicians? I am a little pissed of that probably a decent chunk of cash was probably spent on a system that it looks like a large majority of people don't want and based what was required for it to pass, looks like has no chance.
  • Options
    The MPP system failed because 1) it was totally not publicized, half the people I knew had no idea there was a referendum and 2) it was a load of crap, we already have the unelected federal senate which I hate, do we really need a bunch more appointed politicians?

We are part of the commonwealth don't ya know?

According to a survey I read, I believe it was in the London Free Press, the majority of people want to keep the Queen. The reasons, people say they get their identities from the royal family. How? I'm not sure. I certainly don't.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    We are part of the commonwealth don't ya know?

According to a survey I read, I believe it was in the London Free Press, the majority of people want to keep the Queen. The reasons, people say they get their identities from the royal family. How? I'm not sure. I certainly don't.

I know we are part of the commonwealth (I went to the commonwealth games in 94) and I don't have a problem with the queen or the Govornor General. The queen really has no power and no say in Canadian politics (plus at least in the UK the royal family fuels 2 massive industries (tourism and tabloids)). The GG serves a purpose as she does all that ceremonial crap that you don't really want the Prime Minister wasting his time on. The Senate on the other hand are appointed for life and the guys make 120,000+ per year and are not even elected.

Basically a senate seat is just a gift for the governing party to hand out to their supporters. If the MPP system was in place it would be the same damn thing, more unelected politicians, appointed by their parties. At least now if the dude in my riding doesn't like what his party is doing he has the option to sit as an independant, the MPP system guys would totally have to tow the party line (as if that is what we need more of).
  • Options

Who the hell wants to see people not elected get appointed to government. There is enough crap in politics that we sure don't need more people to ensure minority governments every single vote. If you can't win in a riding or feel slighted, move and try again.
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Who the hell wants to see people not elected get appointed to government. There is enough crap in politics that we sure don't need more people to ensure minority governments every single vote. If you can't win in a riding or feel slighted, move and try again.

Seriously, and if your candidate doesn't win this election, get off your ass and volunteer to campaign for him next time around.
  • Options
    i think just based on this supposedly "active" political board - i can see why mmp failed ... nobobdy understands it ...

mmp is about proportional representation and a check for gov'ts ... there are only a few places left in the world that don't go by it ... it started in germany after hitlers rule to prevent shit like that happening ... we have a gov't now with only 42% of the popular vote being able to do whatever the fuck they want ... that doesn't reflect the interests of the people ...

places like new zealand have coalition gov'ts that are effective because there is representation from all sides ...

we have people pissed here that this referendum was a waste of money when they didn't even bother to learn it ...

this is why gov't fails - not because we have too many politicians - it's because the electorate fails to engage ...

pathetic
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    i think just based on this supposedly "active" political board - i can see why mmp failed ... nobobdy understands it ...

mmp is about proportional representation and a check for gov'ts ... there are only a few places left in the world that don't go by it ... it started in germany after hitlers rule to prevent shit like that happening ... we have a gov't now with only 42% of the popular vote being able to do whatever the fuck they want ... that doesn't reflect the interests of the people ...

places like new zealand have coalition gov'ts that are effective because there is representation from all sides ...

we have people pissed here that this referendum was a waste of money when they didn't even bother to learn it ...

this is why gov't fails - not because we have too many politicians - it's because the electorate fails to engage ...

pathetic

I see that 6 out of 107 ridings voted for MMP. The rest must not have read up on it. Or thought better of it. Just an observation.
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    I see that 6 out of 107 ridings voted for MMP. The rest must not have read up on it. Or thought better of it. Just an observation.

the papers are saying most people didn't know about it ... nor understood it ... judging by comments on this board - that would hold true ...

we could have made some huge progress it citizenry engagement - but we let the ruling parties lull us into further apathy ...
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    the papers are saying most people didn't know about it ... nor understood it ... judging by comments on this board - that would hold true ...

we could have made some huge progress it citizenry engagement - but we let the ruling parties lull us into further apathy ...

I'm sick of the apathy. At this point I just want to see a stronger nexus between what people want and what's represented in our federal or provincial houses. Right now, that discrepancy is pretty severe. As far as I'm concerned the entire voting system and running of gov't needs a MAJOR overhaul. Its serving a few, and fucking so many others.
  • Options
    I'm sick of the apathy. At this point I just want to see a stronger nexus between what people want and what's represented in our federal or provincial houses. Right now, that discrepancy is pretty severe. As far as I'm concerned the entire voting system and running of gov't needs a MAJOR overhaul. Its serving a few, and fucking so many others.

yup ... and here we actually were given an opportunity to do something about it ... something that the rest of the "free world" has done for ages ... and we hit snooze ...