Options

US Wars to Top Half a Trillion in 2007

MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
edited June 2006 in A Moving Train
The costs of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq wil pass the $500 billion mark next year

The overall cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and other global anti-terror operations since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks will top $500 billion next year.

the government will have spent $437 billion on overseas military and foreign aid funding. That includes the latest supplemental spending bill signed into law this month, which provided $69 billion for the war effort.

Add in roughly $1.5 billion in FY07 Foreign Operations funds for Iraq and Afghanistan; $50 billion in Pentagon "bridge" funds for the first half of FY07, plus as-yet-undetermined supplemental funds for the remainder of the next fiscal year, and total war-related costs will easily soar over $500 billion one year from now.

At least $37 billion or so will have gone to the State Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development for Iraq and Afghanistan reconstruction, embassy operations and other foreign aid programs. War costs alone are expected to be at least $450 billion, not including the expected supplemental request early next year.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    I was reading that if the US gave $100-$200 to every opium farmer in Afghanistan per year (which is what they earn now annually growing opium) it would be literally freaking peanuts (like 1% or less) compared to the billions (now being) wasted every day....not to mention all the dead people they're making. Yeah, and all the long lasting friendships around the world too..

What a fucking farce... yeah...Go USA!!
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    star wars
    nothing but star wars
    if they ever bar wars
    where would we be.......
  • Options
    That's a disgusting figure. I dread to think what Mr Blair has spent on the wars so far. It's horrible that they can justify wasting money like this, when all I can see of my country is hospital after hospital being closed down, medical staff shortages, schools being closed, or ill-equiped. Where do they get all this money from?
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    MrBrian wrote:
    The costs of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq wil pass the $500 billion mark next year

The overall cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and other global anti-terror operations since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks will top $500 billion next year.

O.k, let's be clear about this. The Bush administration was advised by the country's top advisors prior to the war in Iraq that an invasion of Iraq would significantly increase the risk of terrorism in the world. Therefore these are not anti-terror operations. An illegal, 'pre-emptive' act of aggression against a soveriegn nation is itself an act of terrorism.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    i will give credit to the US ... they absolutely fucked up afghanistan ... handed power to warlords who are only interested in the heroin trade and accomplished zilch in terms of democracy in that country ... one of the poorest unequipped militaries in the world and still can't get it right there ... should make people wonder what the real motives are ...
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    But there hasn't been an attack on American soil since 911. So they have that going for them. If it ever happens again. I really want to hear the defence then!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    even flow? wrote:
    But there hasn't been an attack on American soil since 911. So they have that going for them. If it ever happens again. I really want to hear the defence then!

iran did it
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way