Options

which part of the Broken up U.S. will you live in?

Jack_C_GregoryJack_C_Gregory Posts: 540
edited November 2008 in A Moving Train
RUSSIAN ANALYST PREDICTS DECLINE AND BREAKUP OF USA
Tue Nov 25 2008 09:04:22 ET

A leading Russian political analyst has said the economic turmoil in the United States has confirmed his long-held view that the country is heading for collapse, and will divide into separate parts.

Professor Igor Panarin said in an interview with the respected daily IZVESTIA published on Monday: "The dollar is not secured by anything. The country's foreign debt has grown like an avalanche, even though in the early 1980s there was no debt. By 1998, when I first made my prediction, it had exceeded $2 trillion. Now it is more than 11 trillion. This is a pyramid that can only collapse."

The paper said Panarin's dire predictions for the U.S. economy, initially made at an international conference in Australia 10 years ago at a time when the economy appeared strong, have been given more credence by this year's events.

When asked when the U.S. economy would collapse, Panarin said: "It is already collapsing. Due to the financial crisis, three of the largest and oldest five banks on Wall Street have already ceased to exist, and two are barely surviving. Their losses are the biggest in history. Now what we will see is a change in the regulatory system on a global financial scale: America will no longer be the world's financial regulator."

When asked who would replace the U.S. in regulating world markets, he said: "Two countries could assume this role: China, with its vast reserves, and Russia, which could play the role of a regulator in Eurasia."

Asked why he expected the U.S. to break up into separate parts, he said: "A whole range of reasons. Firstly, the financial problems in the U.S. will get worse. Millions of citizens there have lost their savings. Prices and unemployment are on the rise. General Motors and Ford are on the verge of collapse, and this means that whole cities will be left without work. Governors are already insistently demanding money from the federal center. Dissatisfaction is growing, and at the moment it is only being held back by the elections and the hope that Obama can work miracles. But by spring, it will be clear that there are no miracles."

He also cited the "vulnerable political setup", "lack of unified national laws", and "divisions among the elite, which have become clear in these crisis conditions."

He predicted that the U.S. will break up into six parts - the Pacific coast, with its growing Chinese population; the South, with its Hispanics; Texas, where independence movements are on the rise; the Atlantic coast, with its distinct and separate mentality; five of the poorer central states with their large Native American populations; and the northern states, where the influence from Canada is strong.

He even suggested that "we could claim Alaska - it was only granted on lease, after all." Panarin, 60, is a professor at the Diplomatic Academy of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and has authored several books on information warfare.

Developing...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Interesting article.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    I will be in the Atlantic Coast with it's distinct and separate mentality. I guess that is the Russian way of saying Northeastern Elitist.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    I don't think this guy really gets just how strong the centralized statist powers are here in the "great" US of A.

There is no way in HELL that "they" would allow a dissolution of the union.
    They'd start dropping nukes on American cities before they allowed the union to dissolve.

That is the polar opposite of their intentions ... which are the perpetual furtherance of centralized power.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    If it means I would no longer have to live in a country with a "bible belt", I'm all for it.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    They'd start dropping nukes on American cities before they allowed the union to dissolve.

like that'll make a difference... doesnt everyone have a gun to form a big fancy militia or something ... pfft... a nuke is no match for a quickly put together, amateur, untrained miltiia you know!!

;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    eyedclaar wrote:
    If it means I would no longer have to live in a country with a "bible belt", I'm all for it.

there'd be 6 belts instead of the one big belt though... and we all know howmuch Americans need a BIG belt!!!! :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    the more important question is where do you think pearl jam will tour the most out of those 6?? cause thats where ill be haha
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    the more important question is where do you think pearl jam will tour the most out of those 6?? cause thats where ill be haha

Probably West Coast and East Coast.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Yes this is really the key question. I think the Northeast is good if this is one's criteria!

But joking aside, while I don't think the U.S. will split up, the article is food for thought - a dispassionate outsider laying it out and not holding back.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    there'd be 6 belts instead of the one big belt though... and we all know howmuch Americans need a BIG belt!!!! :)

A lot of Americans have taken to tying two belts together. Sadly, some have just stopped wearing pants altogether...

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,319
    where ever PJ plans on touring the most so i guess it would have to be the northeast :D ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    RUSSIAN ANALYST PREDICTS DECLINE AND BREAKUP OF USA
    Tue Nov 25 2008 09:04:22 ET

A leading Russian political analyst has said the economic turmoil in the United States has confirmed his long-held view that the country is heading for collapse, and will divide into separate parts.

Professor Igor Panarin said in an interview with the respected daily IZVESTIA published on Monday: "The dollar is not secured by anything. The country's foreign debt has grown like an avalanche, even though in the early 1980s there was no debt. By 1998, when I first made my prediction, it had exceeded $2 trillion. Now it is more than 11 trillion. This is a pyramid that can only collapse."

The paper said Panarin's dire predictions for the U.S. economy, initially made at an international conference in Australia 10 years ago at a time when the economy appeared strong, have been given more credence by this year's events.

When asked when the U.S. economy would collapse, Panarin said: "It is already collapsing. Due to the financial crisis, three of the largest and oldest five banks on Wall Street have already ceased to exist, and two are barely surviving. Their losses are the biggest in history. Now what we will see is a change in the regulatory system on a global financial scale: America will no longer be the world's financial regulator."

When asked who would replace the U.S. in regulating world markets, he said: "Two countries could assume this role: China, with its vast reserves, and Russia, which could play the role of a regulator in Eurasia."

Asked why he expected the U.S. to break up into separate parts, he said: "A whole range of reasons. Firstly, the financial problems in the U.S. will get worse. Millions of citizens there have lost their savings. Prices and unemployment are on the rise. General Motors and Ford are on the verge of collapse, and this means that whole cities will be left without work. Governors are already insistently demanding money from the federal center. Dissatisfaction is growing, and at the moment it is only being held back by the elections and the hope that Obama can work miracles. But by spring, it will be clear that there are no miracles."

He also cited the "vulnerable political setup", "lack of unified national laws", and "divisions among the elite, which have become clear in these crisis conditions."

He predicted that the U.S. will break up into six parts - the Pacific coast, with its growing Chinese population; the South, with its Hispanics; Texas, where independence movements are on the rise; the Atlantic coast, with its distinct and separate mentality; five of the poorer central states with their large Native American populations; and the northern states, where the influence from Canada is strong.

He even suggested that "we could claim Alaska - it was only granted on lease, after all." Panarin, 60, is a professor at the Diplomatic Academy of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and has authored several books on information warfare.

Developing...

sorry, I think he's an idiot, well at least his premise is, but I'll play along a moment. If the country split, Indians, Chinese, Canada, Hispanics, etc... would have zero influence on how that would happen. California would be on it's own, considering before the economic meltdown, it was one of the top 10 world economies by itself. We have plenty of military in state. Maybe New England area could come together and survive alone if New York played along, I'm waiting for a follow up to his article stating the south will rise, lol. The constitution is not in jeopardy, we will rise and fall together, then rise again. The biggest reason we ain't going anywhere is because we would take China down with us if all our debt they own was worthless, China would collapse.

we can do a lot to cut costs, pull in all our military back to the states will save us hundreds of billions a year at a minimum, germany, japan, s korea, italy, etc... let alone iraq and afghanistan. cut subsidize, if we are desparate, cut social security for anyone with a baseline amount in personal retirement money if not cutting social security benefits in general (desperate here).

what we need to do is find out why the 700 billion was an emergency when banks like wells fargo and bank of america refuse the money, and we are slowly finding out the truth, it was to hide the fact that citigroup was in trouble, and they were trying to keep it quiet. that's why transparency was not a part of the plan among other things.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    There has long been a sentiment by some to create a new country called "Cascadia" which would include the territory from Alaska to California. This actually makes a ton of sense considering that the west coast is fairly similar in the sense of immigration, resources, trade/transportation routes and First Nations communities. I love being Canadian, but if this proposal ever came up, I'd take a good long look :)
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    I'm well aware of the Cascadian independence movement and would love to see it happen. I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime, but I don't completely rule it out either. If it ever got serious, I would join in the secession effort. I'd also love to see the secession of New England, with Boston as its capital.

I don't want economic disorder to be the reason secession movements happen, but maybe its the reason decentralization HAS to happen.
  • Options
    godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    eyedclaar wrote:

Keep in mind just how much of the food you eat comes from that same Bible Belt ;)
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • Options
    PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    This guy forgot one important thing: What about the U.S. military? I have a feeling that the folks who own all the weapons would have a pretty strong say in what happened after everything fell apart.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Cool. It looks like I will be in the region that will still play ice hockey!
  • Options
    godpt3 wrote:
    Keep in mind just how much of the food you eat comes from that same Bible Belt ;)

I live on local dandelion leaves and squirrel meat. If they ever turn those fat asses into soylent green, I'll eat food from the bible belt.

• Options
    I don't see this happening, but in any event, give Canada Alaska back...we'll take care of Palin for you in a new york minute ;)
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,218
    sourdough wrote:
    There has long been a sentiment by some to create a new country called "Cascadia" which would include the territory from Alaska to California. This actually makes a ton of sense considering that the west coast is fairly similar in the sense of immigration, resources, trade/transportation routes and First Nations communities. I love being Canadian, but if this proposal ever came up, I'd take a good long look :)

what about including california? i think i like the idea of the pacific coast region better because we'd be more powerful. california has some d-bags for sure, but our gdp would be nice. i'd be excited and content with my good wine, coffee, produce, and logs if this report wasn't posted on drudge though. gives me no hope.
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • Options
    saveuplifesaveuplife Posts: 1,173
    PJ_Saluki wrote:
    This guy forgot one important thing: What about the U.S. military? I have a feeling that the folks who own all the weapons would have a pretty strong say in what happened after everything fell apart.

Yep. People have a tendency of forgetting history. If we go down, I'll bet we bring the world with us.

Regardless of their problems in Iraq and Afghanistan, America still has the strongest military in the world.
  • Options
    saveuplife wrote:
    America still has the strongest military in the world.

Precisely. We'll all have a pocket full of bills with Bush's face on them before this happens.

Imagine that....shorty after that...the mushroom clouds will fill the sky with a warm flesh melting glow...

which reminds me...anyone see the movie idiocracy?
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Precisely. We'll all have a pocket full of bills with Bush's face on them before this happens.

Imagine that....shorty after that...the mushroom clouds will fill the sky with a warm flesh melting glow...

which reminds me...anyone see the movie idiocracy?

One of my all-time favorite movies. Happening as we speak and as been for some time now.

• Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    saveuplife wrote:
    Yep. People have a tendency of forgetting history. If we go down, I'll bet we bring the world with us.

Regardless of their problems in Iraq and Afghanistan, America still has the strongest military in the world.

What exactly are you saying? Are you talking about bringing the world down through military action?

If so, surely you must be joking?

No matter how strong the US military is, it's powerless against the rest of the world.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    NoKNoK Posts: 824
    What if the United states remained but the states within dissolved into that formation?
  • Options
    We seem to be doing alright down here in Texas. Economy not as bad as most other places.

You kids have fun up there ... we'll be fine. ;)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Pacific Nation of California, baby...

and looking forward to it, too bitches! :rolleyes:
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The South will rise again!!! ;) LOL!!!
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    godpt3 wrote:

you mean your food still comes from WITHIN your country? WOW!! :p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    eyedclaar wrote:
    A lot of Americans have taken to tying two belts together. Sadly, some have just stopped wearing pants altogether...

I'm not fat, and I don't wear pants....what do I do?
    BRING BACK THE WHALE