Options

backtalk-

MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
What kind of Army sets up camp in harm's way of children and civilians? Israel's targets are missile launchers. Israel told that area five days earlier to evacuate.

~ Peter Jafelice
----

Jonathan Cook replies:

This is a very typically racist view of the war, the arguments premised on the same set of double standards that inform most Western media coverage. Israel has placed most of its military bases in the Galilee close to inhabited areas. In Nazareth, for example, we are squeezed between two military installations. Does that make us human shields, and therefore legitimate targets for Hezbollah rockets? Furthermore, the leafleting of south Lebanon by the Israeli air force telling civilians to leave does not legitimize Israel's targeting of civilian areas. If this were the case, Hezbollah could rightfully claim that it is not responsible for killing Israeli civilians in Haifa, for example, with its rockets because its leader, Hassan Nasrallah, warned them in several speeches that he would hit Haifa several days before he in fact did so. On this logic, Haifa's residents should have left when warned, and are responsible for their own deaths.

http://www.antiwar.com/

http://www.antiwar.com/letters/

---
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Interesting argument, despite the total misuse of the term racism (not that that's particularly new).
  • Options
    Interesting argument, despite the total misuse of the term racism (not that that's particularly new).

I know dude, I'm guessing it may of had something to do with another exchange they had? But I felt like taking "racist" out myself because it did'nt quite fit into the reply, but I decided against editing that part out because I did'nt write it.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    This post has seriously got me thinking.
    I basically agree with the point on the leaflets ... The positioning of Israeli military bases, though, probably has little to do with proximity to civilians, and more to do with other strategic concerns. They didn't put them there because there are civilians nearby. Moreover, Hizbollah's rockets are not aimed at said bases. They are aimed (haphazardly) at cities full of civilians.
  • Options
    This post has seriously got me thinking.
    I basically agree with the point on the leaflets ... The positioning of Israeli military bases, though, probably has little to do with proximity to civilians, and more to do with other strategic concerns. They didn't put them there because there are civilians nearby. Moreover, Hizbollah's rockets are not aimed at said bases. They are aimed (haphazardly) at cities full of civilians.

I'm not too sure but I don't think the accuracy of the hezbollah's rockets are that great anyway, so sure, for the most part it's blind launching from them (the hez) but if they had jet's and smart bombs I'm guessing they would try harder to hit those bases.

Israel, now they have these weaponss but still end up killing so many civilians, now again is this because hez has it's bases in civilian areas or is it because israel just does not care too much about who they kill.

Now I can say this because we can see the way they (israel) deal with the palestinians, just look at the recent beach bombing or the times they've (in the open) shot at school kids and other civilians. So israel does have a history of targetting civilians so to think that they are not doing or would not do such things in lebanon would be to deny the facts of her history.