Burying The Lancet Report

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited June 2006 in A Moving Train
This article is very interesting for anyone concerned with what is actually happening in Iraq, as opposed to what the western media would like us to believe is happening in Iraq...

http://zmagsite.zmag.org/Feb2006/davies0206.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    "They also found that violence had become the leading cause of death in Iraq during that period. Their most significant finding was that the vast majority (79 percent) of violent deaths were caused by “coalition” forces using “helicopter gunships, rockets or other forms of aerial weaponry,” and that almost half (48 percent) of these were children, with a median age of 8."

in 48% of violent deaths the victim was a child... median age 8...

fucking sick
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    my2hands wrote:
    "They also found that violence had become the leading cause of death in Iraq during that period. Their most significant finding was that the vast majority (79 percent) of violent deaths were caused by “coalition” forces using “helicopter gunships, rockets or other forms of aerial weaponry,” and that almost half (48 percent) of these were children, with a median age of 8."

in 48% of violent deaths the victim was a child... median age 8...

fucking sick

<typical con talking point in cold, soulless tone> 'what can ya do? war is hell'
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
    "Allowing for 16 months of the air war and other deaths since the completion of the survey, we have to estimate that somewhere between 185,000 and 700,000 people have died as a direct result of the war. Coalition forces have killed anywhere from 70,000 to 500,000 of them, including 30,000 to 275,000 children under the age of 15."

30,000 to 275,000 children under the age of 15 since the beginning of the war?

that should make the toughest arm-chair hawk question the application of war under any circumstances?
    El_Kabong wrote:
    <typical con talking point in cold, soulless tone> 'what can ya do? war is hell'

it is true... i am so fucking sick of arm-chair hawks... i guess sending others to die and beating their chest while young men and women die for lies makes them feel like a man (or woman)...
    my2hands wrote:
    "Allowing for 16 months of the air war and other deaths since the completion of the survey, we have to estimate that somewhere between 185,000 and 700,000 people have died as a direct result of the war. Coalition forces have killed anywhere from 70,000 to 500,000 of them, including 30,000 to 275,000 children under the age of 15."

that should make the toughest arm-chair hawk question the application of war under any circumstances?

they were like...futuristic terrorists
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    El_Kabong wrote:

i wouldnt be suprised if some wacko actually used, or uses, that menatlity to justify it
    my2hands wrote:
    i wouldnt be suprised if some wacko actually used, or uses, that menatlity to justify it

you also have to realize to them 30,000 to 275,000 iraqi children aren't equal to 30,000 to 275,000 american children.

i wonder how many of our children we'd accept dying over here?
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    El_Kabong wrote:
    you also have to realize to them 30,000 to 275,000 iraqi children aren't equal to 30,000 to 275,000 american children.

i wonder how many of our children we'd accept dying over here?

2,500 so far...
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    my2hands wrote:

That's nothing compared to the estimated half a million children who died as a direct result of the U.S imposed sanctions on Iraq between 1991 and 2002. It's all completely fucking sick. Still, why would Blair and Bush care? I mean, they've got God on their side, right?
    Byrnzie wrote:
    That's nothing compared to the estimated half a million children who died as a direct result of the U.S imposed sanctions on Iraq between 1991 and 2002.

that is right...
    my2hands wrote:
    that is right...

It just demonstrates what an incredible job the media are doing in managing to pull the wool over our eyes by directing our attention away from the crimes being committed by the occupying forces, and diverting our attention instead on sectarian violence and suicide bombings.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    It just demonstrates what an incredible job the media are doing in managing to pull the wool over our eyes by directing our attention away from the crimes being committed by the occupying forces, and diverting our attention instead on sectarian violence and suicide bombings.

and i believe that you are right again...

but, let me ask this...is it the incredible job the media is doing...or is it the incredible ignorance of the people... or an incredible combination?
    my2hands wrote:
    and i believe that you are right again...

but, let me ask this...is it the incredible job the media is doing...or is it the incredible ignorance of the people... or an incredible combination?

Well, that's a difficult one. I reckon the pendulum swings more to the power of the media though. I believe that if the public in both the U.K and the U.S where made aware of just the above article on it's own then we would see a major seismic shift in opinion and action take place. During the Vietnam war the coverage was a lot less restricted than it is now. Journalists are afraid to travel outside of the green zone in Iraq now and simply rely on the 'authorities' for their information. There are apparently some brave Iraqi reporters who are risking their lives over there to report what's happening, although as far as I'm aware, even these journalists are restricted to reporting nothing but sectarian violence and yet are being censored to a large degree. Where are the Tim Page's and James Cameron's of this world when we need them? Robert Fisk is about the only reporter I know of at the moment who is really telling it the way it is.
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    El_Kabong wrote:
    pre-emptive strike...consistant policy