I Got ID - #7 on Billboard charts?

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I saw on Wikipedia that 'I Got Id' reached #7 on the Billboard charts.

Now, I know it's a bit stupid to put much stock into these charts, especially considering Pearl Jam's reluctance to embrace that sort of thing. But I just wanted to know, is that chart number true? I'm a relatively new fan to Pearl Jam and would be too young to remember the song when it came out. 'I Got Id' never struck me as a particulary 'commercial song' (or a good song, for that matter) and it never seems to be remembered in the mainstream media like the way 'Last Kiss' was (their other high charting single).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i remember there being quite a stir about mirkenball, it hit at the height of their popularity, but i do not recall it having great chart success. it could be possible though. id question wikipedia more than bilboard though...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    It's quite possible. You have to remember that Merkinball was released between Vitalogy and No Code at which time people were still salivating for any new PJ. I remember it getting a lot of radio play (some stations would even play Long Road) but can't verify it's chart standing.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    Gmoney wrote:
    i remember there being quite a stir about mirkenball, it hit at the height of their popularity, but i do not recall it having great chart success. it could be possible though. id question wikipedia more than bilboard though...

It was played on the radio, and made it to some of those pointless radio countdowns, so I would say that it was true.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    muppet wrote:
    'I Got Id' never struck me as a particulary 'commercial song' (or a good song, for that matter) ).

I think a lot of people would disagree with you on the good song comment. To me this is one of the most emotion filled songs Ed has ever recorded. It's a perfect song as far as i'm concerned. Plus, add Neil young to the recoridng and it's gold baby.

As far as the billboard thing I believe it for sure but can't back it up with fact. This EP followed Vitalogy. They were HUGE at the time.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Billboard.com confirms it - #7:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/esearch/chart_display.jsp?cfi=379&cfgn=Singles&cfn=The+Billboard+Hot+100&ci=3022075&cdi=7011591&cid=12%2F23%2F1995

Edit: I checked the Wikipedia page and it points out that the information for the chart positions was taken from various sources, including Billboard.com and Allmusic.com, and I trust those websites.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    This EP followed Vitalogy. They were HUGE at the time.

the two songs themselves did not get much of airplay.
    It (Merkinball) was releases under "singles" instead of EP.

So it only went straight to top ten (#7) primary on the sales. I believe it went gold.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Its true. I Got ID reached #7 0n 12/23/95. What is even more surprising is the first Pearl Jam single to chart in the US top 40 was Tremor Christ which reached #18 on 11/26/94.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I think it's interesting that songs like Tremor Christ and I Got ID made quite a big dent on the Hot 100 charts. IMO, they've had a lot more potentially 'commercial' songs (not necessairly better songs) that haven't had as much chart sucsesses, like Jeremy or Daughter. Big hits yeah but only really on the rock charts.

I guess Pearl Jam is more of an albums band than a singles band, thank god.
  • no question it's due to sales of the actual single. It has sold about 432,000 copies. Last Kiss sold about 787,000.

Anyway, I Got Id was a pretty successful single on the radio as well. I remember it lingered for a long time.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    LongRd. wrote:
    the two songs themselves did not get much of airplay.
    It (Merkinball) was releases under "singles" instead of EP.

So it only went straight to top ten (#7) primary on the sales. I believe it went gold.

hmmm, i heard both of the songs on the radio a lot back in CT when it was released. I still hear I got id on Los Angeles radio from time to time.

Point taken on the single not Ep though. I forgot that.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    Hmmmm .... most radio stations played the holy shit out of I Got Shit. It was on the air constantly where I live, probably more so than any song of Vitalogy save Betterman.

I can remember hearing it on the radio as recently as 2000.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • It was played all the time in Indy. It actually still comes on the radio every now and again today. I just remember it was a huge deal because they had recorded it with Neil Young. Even the packaging of the disc was interesting to us because it was basically cardboard (similar to the 2000 euro boots). I also remember an illustration in Entertainment Weekly with Neil sitting in front of an American flag with Eddies head where the stars would normally be located.
  • It being #7 does not mean it was played on Top 40 radio in some rotation. as others pointed out, it was due to the single sales, not airplay.
  • haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    muppet wrote:
    'I Got Id' never struck me as a particulary 'commercial song' (or a good song, for that matter) and it never seems to be remembered in the mainstream media like the way 'Last Kiss' was (their other high charting single).

heyyy, i love this song.
    its much better live though, maybe that'll persuade your decision! :D
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i got shit it amazing. simple amazing.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • I got id - the song that introduced me to Pearl Jam. It is still my fav pearl jam song
  • ams533ams533 Posts: 4
    I live in the Philadelphia area and still hear it on the radio quite a bit. I don't listen to the radio much but I hear it at least once or twice a month.