Best replacement Singer/Musician?

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Ringo Starr, The Beatles - John, Paul, George and Pete just doesn't have the same ring to it, now does it?

John Frusciante, Red Hot Chili Peppers - Literallty saving the Chili Peppers in the wake of Hillel Slovak's death, John helped the band achieve its greatest success

Roger Waters, Pink Floyd - Many fans (myself included) love the Syd Barrett stuff, but Waters' is the one who turned in the classic work. I realize Waters didn't "replace" Barrett, as they were both in the original lineup, but Waters took over as principal singer and band visionary. I also acknowledge David Gilmour's contributions, but Waters is the one who really stepped up and led the band to glory...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    for a singer, the only good replacement I can think of is Brian Johnson replacing Bon Scott in AC/DC......but even that's debatable
    also, and I hope a lot of his fans don't take offense to this, but Matt Cameron replacing Jack Irons was a good replacement

don't get me wrong, I liked Jack, but I think Matt is the best drummer PJ has had
  • I'd count Vedder, even though it's technically a different band now. But he's basically a replacement for Wood.
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    I agree Brian Johnson (AC/DC) has to be the best ever replacement.

If one person says Sammy Hagar I want them banned for poor taste in music :)

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Wilco has always had a lot of different musicians.

Whoever the guy was that Glen Kotche replaced on drums was a MAJOR upgrade!!

Also with wilco they needed a lead guitarist to replace Jay Bennett and looking at it from strictly a guitar stand point Nels Cline is an immense improvment.

Now Nels does not have the song writing ability and pop melody that jay had but strictly lead guitar work... nels destroys jay.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    tonadax wrote:
    Roger Waters, Pink Floyd - Many fans (myself included) love the Syd Barrett stuff, but Waters' is the one who turned in the classic work. I realize Waters didn't "replace" Barrett, as they were both in the original lineup, but Waters took over as principal singer and band visionary. I also acknowledge David Gilmour's contributions, but Waters is the one who really stepped up and led the band to glory...

Roger Waters was never a replacement, David Gilmour replaced Syd Barret
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • bruce dickinson
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    intodeep wrote:
    Wilco has always had a lot of different musicians.

Whoever the guy was that Glen Kotche replaced on drums was a MAJOR upgrade!!

Also with wilco they needed a lead guitarist to replace Jay Bennett and looking at it from strictly a guitar stand point Nels Cline is an immense improvment.

Now Nels does not have the song writing ability and pop melody that jay had but strictly lead guitar work... nels destroys jay.

KOTCHE is the friggin man and so is nels (in a jazzmaster kinda way)
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    NickyNooch wrote:
    I agree Brian Johnson (AC/DC) has to be the best ever replacement.

If one person says Sammy Hagar I want them banned for poor taste in music :)
    Sammy Hagar......representing........DLR was a douche and a lousy singer!!!! Good frontman, but lousy singer. :D

Phil Collins did okay for a few albums replacing Peter Gabriel on the mic, but Phil was in the band prior to that.

Brad Gillis and then Jake E. Lee did a decent job filling in for Randy Rhoads.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    Brent myland replacing Keith and Donna godchaux
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Mike Patton over Chuck Moseley in Faith No More.

oh ... and I'll catch a TON of shit for this, but I do not care ...

Ronnie James Dio in Sabbath.

Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are Sabbath's best two albums. That's one man's opinion ....

... and I'm sure someone will say Sid Vicious taking Glen Matlock's spot in the Sex Pistols is worth noting ...

They just keep coming to me .... Neil Peart ... he wasn't on the first album (he didn't drum on Working Man) ... John Rutsy, or something like that, did ... this has to be a top 3 candidate ...
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Neil Peart and Brian Johnson are at the top of the list but here's an obscure one fro the band LIVING COLOUR.....Doug Wimbish replacing Muzz Skillings on Bass.

Peace
    Earle
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Get_Right wrote:
    Brent myland replacing Keith and Donna godchaux

Hell yeah!!
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Ben Kenney for Alex Katunich in Incubus
    Dave Grohl for that other guy in Nirvana
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Ben Kenney for Alex Katunich in Incubus
    In what way? I guess you prefer the more recent stuff to S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and Make Yourself?
  • No, I prefer that he actually writes the material... plus he just has a lot more talent than Alex. Mike has recently stated that he wrote most of the bass lines pre-Ben Kenney.

Plus, on the Warmth/other songs before Kenney, Kenney tears them up.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    jimed14 wrote:
    Mike Patton over Chuck Moseley in Faith No More.

Dammit...you beat me to it. And I couldn't disagree more with the person who said Hagar over Roth.
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Billy "the bass" Cox > Noel "Where's me money" Redding
  • nickcat0nickcat0 Posts: 75
    Ian Gillan & Roger Glover replacing Rod Evans & Nick Simper in Deep Purple .

Chris Cornell replacing Zack de la Rocha in R.A.T.M. ;)
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
    Janet Weiss replacing the drummer before her in Sleater-Kinney was a great replacement choice

Ben Shepherd replacing Hiro Yamamoto in Soundgarden was a great choice as well (I'm fairly surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet)
  • nickcat0 wrote:
    Chris Cornell replacing Zack de la Rocha in R.A.T.M. ;)

man i was gonna jump on this..then i saw your wink!
    OBAMA BABY
    man i was gonna jump on this..then i saw your wink!

No problem ...... just me having a little fun .
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
    I'm trying to think of people that haven't been mentioned already...

Kirk Hammet for Dave Mustaine?... questionable

Mick Taylor for Brian Jones?... also questionable

Zakk Wylde for Randy Rhoads?... even more questionable:D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
    Except Zakk wasn't a replacement for Randy .
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
    nickcat0 wrote:
    Except Zakk wasn't a replacement for Randy .

Considering that I don't acknowledge Bernie Torme, Brad Gillis, or Jake E. Lee as "replacements"... yes he was:D

They were comparable to sluts he banged on the road... whereas Zakk was his second wife. Well third if you count Iommi..
    Lol
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
  • James Labrie replacing the old singer of Dream Theater
    Buckethead for Slash in GNR :-)
    So if you count Iommi as his 1st "wife" , then that means his 2 second wives actually got it on in the back of the bus .
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
  • Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    Dave for Chad in Nirvana
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    tonadax wrote:
    Ringo Starr, The Beatles - John, Paul, George and Pete just doesn't have the same ring to it, now does it?

John Frusciante, Red Hot Chili Peppers - Literallty saving the Chili Peppers in the wake of Hillel Slovak's death, John helped the band achieve its greatest success

Ringo was perfect for the Beatles no matter how little flash he had. Dont get me started on Frusciante, just amazing, but I have got to have got to question your judgement with Waters over Gilmour. I am not saying Gilmour is better but he had a bit more talent with creating a hook imo. Waters could make a musical and lyrical theme and get a rough sketch but I believe it was Gilmour to helped to bring it full circle. Just think about it. All those Floyd songs that everybody knows, I don't think its coincidence that Gilmour had a bigger part in those song

If you chose Brian Johnson listen to Highway To Hell. I love the Back In Black and beyond but he is the reason ACDC are viewed as a joke band. Bon was pretty adolescent but has Brian Johnson written more than 2 or 3 songs not about shaggin