Options

Screaming Life/ Fopp review

reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
edited January 2008 in Other Music
This Christmas I completed my Soundgarden collection with this EP combination that I've never seen in a store.

Well here it is:
SCREAMING LIFE
Hunted Down - #1 or 2 on the disc, good song
Entering - not bad, sounds like some SG rarities
Tears to Forget - uhh, no
Nothing to Say - The other #1 or 2
Little Joe - could have been better, but not very good
Hand of God - not bad, sounds more like just a jam

FOPP
This whole EP sounds very unlike soundgarden. Its like they got drunk one night and did these songs. They aren't terrible, but its so UN-Soundgarden that I don't think I'll be listening to these four very often.

I didn't have high expectations at all. I knew that it would be very raw and couldn't compare to the rest of the SG catolog, but I'm glad I got it still. UltramegaOK is a kickass album that still retains alot of rawness. LTL is a great album that is monumental. And BMF, SUK, and DOTUS are some of the best rock albums of all time.
bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    nothing to say is amazing.
    hunted down is verry good.
    everything else is okay.

louder than love, badmotorfinger, and superunknown are fantastic..

down on the upside is pure BRILLIANCE.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i dig the Screaming Life album... FOPP not so much.

Hunted Down, Entering, Kingdom of Come, Nothing To Say and Little Joe are all great early Soundgarden tunes if you ask me.
  • Options
    listened to again today, a couple of times at work. First time I've listened all the way through. I'd have a totally different review now. I definately liked tears to forget, little joe, hand of god and even the first two songs off fopp alot more. Actually, I like this album alot. Hunted down though, is fucking great; its just too short.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    It has been some time since i busted this one out. Maybe i'll listen to this today at the gym.

I would like to hear Chris Cornel do an acoustic version of Hunted Down. It might be interesting.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    my mum in law picked that up for me for x-mas last year in Australia. not a bad combo!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    OK, so been playing it more and I fucking love Screaming Life. I got new soundgarden - hell yeah.
  • Options
    Screaming Life is insane! I love that album and wish more people knew about it.
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    everything else is okay.

I hate the production on DOTU, and I hate a third of the songs on Louder Than Love. Ultramega OK is creative, but the songwriting isn't 100% there yet, there are good riffs but some of the songs don't go where they should. Superunknown and BMF are fuckin ace.
  • Options
    everything else is okay.

exactamundo, word for word
  • Options
    Lisa81Lisa81 Posts: 132
    No there best stuff, but a must have for me!
    www.flickr.com/photos/ljrw
  • Options
    Screaming in Life is has become my current fav. Its incredible, Didn't think that much of it the first time I played it, but since then I come to realize its bad ass. Little joe is amazing. Hunted down is one of the best SG songs I've ever heard.
  • Options
    hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    This Ep sure has a different sound cause its from the early sound stages (Sub Pop) of the band, anyway it still has stuff worth listening. I enjoy the rawness of the tracks (including the early outbursts of spitting hell that Cornell used to deliver back in the day). It should be noted that the bassist at that period of time was Hiro Yamamoto (who was later replaced by Ben Shepard).
    I buyed this ep on a cassette format back in 1993 (of course after hearing BMF and Louder Than Love..i even heard this one before Ultramega Ok) and i'm glad i could find a torrent to download from.
    By the way when i bought the Badmotorfinger cd it came as a limited edition featuring a bonus cd with these tracks : 1) Into the Void (Black Sabbath), 2) Girl U Want (Devo), 3) Stray Cat Blues (Rolling Stones), 4) She's a Politician (previously unreleased), 5) Slaves & Bulldozers (live)
    The Bonus cd is called SOMMS (SatanOscillateMyMetallicSonatas), curious enough, read backwards is read exactly the same..well..i just wanted to mention it since there's not much info on this Bonus cd.