Options

the VELVET UNDERGROUND

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited July 2007 in Other Music
any fans.

i adore this band
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    KannKann Posts: 1,146
    One of my all time favourites.
    A friend gave me a boxset with "the vu and nico", "white light/white heat" and "the vu". Best gift he ever made.
    The thing that sucks though is the lack of audible live recordings before john cale left (I largely prefer the band with him).
  • Options
    rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    I really love this band. I have all the studio albums. I want the live ones really bad.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    Lisa81Lisa81 Posts: 132
    I adore them too, amazing.
    www.flickr.com/photos/ljrw
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i have the VU and Nico. great album. been meaning to get White Light/White Heat for years now.
  • Options
    Boss302Boss302 Posts: 69
    Great Stuff
    And you may see me today
    with an illegal smile
    it don't cost very much
    but it lasts a long while
    won't you please tell the man
    i didn't kill anyone
    i'm just tryin to have me some fun
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Love the VU and Nico record. Venus in furs and heroin are stone cold classics.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Pale Blue Eyes
    great, great, great, i'm at a loss, i don't know what else to say.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Options
    PearlStripesPearlStripes Posts: 267
    ......well, then just "linger on"
  • Options
    poorgirl23poorgirl23 Posts: 194
    Yeah, one of my favorite bands. They were amazing. Pale Blue Eyes is so beautiful.
    Common sense is not so common.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Kann wrote:
    The thing that sucks though is the lack of audible live recordings before john cale left (I largely prefer the band with him).

i agree! i have a few live shows and i much prefer when john cale was in the band

i used to hve the box set but someone stole it :( i loved that set
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    THE VELVET UNDERGROUND
    in two words

KICK ASS!!!!
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    wow pale blue eyes is one of those songs thats as stuning as it was the first time. i will honestly say i dont like nico but lou reed is a god. and as such vu is awesome. i still think berlin is the best thing lou reed has done. and id probably put 2 or 3 other albums of his above vu but that doesnt take away from how great they were. satilite of love was better recorded with vu then it was on transformer.

vu made alternative music. and i think they were a bigger influence on music than zeppelin or the who. i think only the beatles are above vu for their importance in rock music. but i wont argue if anyone says vu is more important.....
  • Options
    thats exactly how i feel about them, most influential band ever.

I love nico

thing is, when i listen to them it reminds me of an ex and it gets too much, so sadly i tend not to listen as often as i used to!
  • Options
    all tomorrow's parties is where it is at.

run run run is pure fuckin magic as well

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    glasshouse wrote:
    all tomorrow's parties is where it is at.
    YES.

Best intro ever, with that drum beat and then the piano. also, to Nico haters, her voice is magic on ATP. so commanding...

"and what costumes shall the poor girls wear to all tomorrow's parties?"
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    oh i just want to clear this up just incase. when i said i dont like nico i meant the singer not the album. the album is awesome. just nico the woman i dont like. ill be your mirror is like a gazillion times better with lou on vocals.
  • Options
    Lisa81Lisa81 Posts: 132
    oh i just want to clear this up just incase. when i said i dont like nico i meant the singer not the album. the album is awesome. just nico the woman i dont like. ill be your mirror is like a gazillion times better with lou on vocals.
    I agree!
    www.flickr.com/photos/ljrw
  • Options
    gave "the velvet underground & nico a spin yesterday for the first time in a while ~ fuck it's brilliant

• Options
    bump :eek:

"run run run" :)
    "the black angel's death song" :cool:
    "all tomorrow's parties" :D