Options

Screaming Trees

stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I have always liked them, but I am just starting to listen to them alot lately...what does everyone think of them?
Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    biffy clyrobiffy clyro Posts: 148
    they are very good,lanagen is a great singer
  • Options
    hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Love em. One of the most underrated bands out there in my opinion. I'll never understand why they weren't as big as PJ, Soundgarden, AIC, etc. Mark Lanegan's voice combined with the bluesy, psychedelic guitar work of Gary Lee Conner was magic. Barret Martin is a damn fine drummer, too.

I love Lanegan's solo stuff, but I miss the sound of the Trees.
  • Options
    gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I'm a huge fan of the Trees. Sweet Oblivion is classic and Dust is close behind. I have a theory that the reason they never got as big as Soundgarden or Pearl Jam had nothing to do with talent but rather consistency. Mark Lanegan has always been really unpredictable and though I don't know much first hand about his time with the Trees, he never toured regularly for his solo work and drifted in and out of tours with Queens of the Stone Age. He mainly just toured when he wasn't doing crack or meth or whatever.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    RaybeesRaybees Posts: 40
    Man, what a coincidence. I was listening to the Trees today on the way back from work and they are great. What a voice! And absolute classic guitar songs!

Song-wise they had potential to be massive but i think they were, and this is sad, too ugly and fat (the Conners anyway) to be a big MTV hit.

As Mark Lanegan said, "Me and the fellas never got the recognition we deserved."
    Q"What's your favourite Beatles album?"
    A"The Best of the Beatles."
  • Options
    biffy clyrobiffy clyro Posts: 148
    Raybees wrote:
    Man, what a coincidence. I was listening to the Trees today on the way back from work and they are great. What a voice! And absolute classic guitar songs!

Song-wise they had potential to be massive but i think they were, and this is sad, too ugly and fat (the Conners anyway) to be a big MTV hit.

As Mark Lanegan said, "Me and the fellas never got the recognition we deserved."

quite a few fellow scots on here with great music taste
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    screaming trees are fantastic!! way to underrated man. it's terrible. sweet oblivion and dust are classics. i love buzz factory too though..

whats all ya'll favorite trees songs?

i really love 'No One Knows', 'Dying Days', and 'Black Sun Morning' to only name a few that pop in mind.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    My favourite songs by them are Alice Said (#1!!!), Dying Days, Julie Paradise and an acoustic live version of Dollar Bill.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Great band with many great songs. So underrated
  • Options
    Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    The best songs by Screaming Trees are as follows:

1) Watchpocket Blues
    2) Dime Western
    3) Shadow of the Season
    4) Troubled Times
    5) Ocean of Confusion

HM: Halo of Ahses.
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Butterfly is a pretty good tune :)
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,127
    Big fan, big fan...
  • Options
    YAY! trees! and they're screaming!!

I love this band.
    I agree that part of the reason they didnt get the recognition they deserved was because of their lack of "Mtv-ability" the connors didn't look marketable.

too bad music based on looks sells so damned well. :cool:

Lanegan may not be "dependable" but Layne Staley wasn't "dependable" either, yet AIC got TONS of coverage.

and Lanegan's solo work IS amazing!! (Methamphetamine blues is incredible)
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    leavin hereleavin here Posts: 145
    Lanagan has a great sexy soft rasp to him...
    Vancouver 09/02/05, so far so good
  • Options
    stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    I was jamming to Sweet Oblivion in the car this morning...good stuff.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    Lisa81Lisa81 Posts: 132
    Love em. Lanegan is my fave singer along with Chris Cornell (for very diff reasons obviously!)
    www.flickr.com/photos/ljrw
  • Options
    deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    always thought the morrison spirit was there
    i like the music a bit more than the doors as a whole
    although nothin beats the doors in a jukebox situation
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    anyone else with me on the notion that Dust is better than Sweet Oblivion? I know that SO is most people's favourite but I just really love songs like halo of ashes, sworn and broken, all I know and witness.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Evensolo05Evensolo05 Posts: 118
    I love the Trees, Lanegan is one of the most versatile, underated musicians of his era. He continues to put out quality records to this day. Note his work with: QOTSA, Isobel Cambell, Soulsavers, Twilight Singers etc. The man is a genius!
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • Options
    hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    anyone else with me on the notion that Dust is better than Sweet Oblivion? I know that SO is most people's favourite but I just really love songs like halo of ashes, sworn and broken, all I know and witness.

Those albums are tied for me. Love them both equally.
  • Options
    mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    i bought a "best of" last summer called "Ocean of Confusion" and i had it in my top 3 all summer.

P.S.: my stereo system is a 3 disc cd changer, hence top 3.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I often storm my way to work listening to the Trees, had a road-rage incident once with some fuck who thought he could crawl up my ass probably cos he heard some of Dust an ddidnt like what heard.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Yeah I've always loved "Dust" a touch more than "Sweet Oblivion." It's feels a little bit more cohesive to me. I love every track on Dust. Man Lanegan's voice is devastating on "Look at You". Just FYI, the Trees' recorded Dust in 1994 and scrapped the first version because they didn't like the production and re-recorded it with a new producer.
  • Options
    Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    No love for Uncle Anasthesia?