Options

Lover, You should've come over

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Does anyone out there own, know of and/or appreciate the masterpiece that is "Grace" by Jeff Buckley...

Jeff's voice is so unbelievable and phenomenal...I never knew his music existed until recently...and now i am convinced that this has to be one of the best albums of the nineties if not longer..

thoughts? appreciations?
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Does anyone out there own, know of and/or appreciate the masterpiece that is "Grace" by Jeff Buckley...

Jeff's voice is so unbelievable and phenomenal...I never knew his music existed until recently...and now i am convinced that this has to be one of the best albums of the nineties if not longer..

thoughts? appreciations?

this album is awesome. His voice is incredible.
    I saw him in 95... its a show I remember very well. the ind of show you can't forget...
    And the song "lover' you should've come over" is my favorite of this album.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    yes indeed, i have his dvd "live in chicage" and i wish i could've been old enough back in his time to know and appreciate him before his tragic death.

He was a musical gem!!

"last goodbye" is also another ggggreeattt tune on that record.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    the really high "LOOOOOOOOOOVVVEEE" that Jeff sang when he played it live (see chicago dvd) was unbelievable. he was an incredible singer.

Also, Everybody here wants you on Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk is amazing. no white man should have that much soul.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    heard a song , very moving
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Options
    Lisa81Lisa81 Posts: 132
    One of my favourite artists ever, would have loved to have seen him live. His voice was just so beautiful.
    www.flickr.com/photos/ljrw
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    dcfaithful wrote:

thoughts? appreciations?

Its really funny that you post this now. I have been listening to this album non-stop for about two weeks. Its phenomenal and I'm absolutely obsessed.

Sadly, I only have a version of it that I can't put on my iTunes/iPod or do anything useful with it. If anyone could send me a copy of it (to download, digital is fine), that would be greatly appreciated.

I totally agree with everything you said its really amazing.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    Probably the best rock singer of the 90s... one of the best all time without a doubt.

This is a guy who actually sang Hallelujah better than Rufus Wainright.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    dcfaithful wrote:

thoughts? appreciations?

I feel exactly the same! I "discovered" Jeff a couple of months ago. I'm still listening to Grace non-stop, that record is a masterpiece!
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    its a fucking amazing album

Rufus Wainwright???? wtf???
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    I love that album :)
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Buckley is amazing. Grace is one my favorite albums ever. My favorite version of Lover, You Should Have Come Over is the one on Live at Sine. If you haven't heard that, get it ASAP. That album is incredible. It's 2 discs of live Jeff with just an electric guitar. Really incredible stuff.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    its a fucking amazing album

Rufus Wainwright???? wtf???
    Rufus Wainright did an AMAZING version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah".

And Jeff Buckley's version on "Grace" kicked it's ass.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    julienovajulienova Posts: 118
    I've never seen any MP3 links on the Pit, and I checked the FAQ with no success. Anyway, I have a great acoustic version of this from KCRW, it is rare to hear Jeff playing a real acoustic guitar. PM me if you are interested.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I saw him live, too, at a small venue in Cambridge called The Junction. When people hear these incredible songs today, they should know that they were sung by a very confident but down to earth bloke, who was connecting well with the audience and who had a good sense of humour, too. I was genuinely stunned when he went missing - his body wasn't found right away - because I'd hoped he'd be in for the long haul.

I don't like to make father-son comparisons between Tim and Jeff Buckley, mainly because Tim Buckley was a very major artist who released nine studio albums in his lifetime, toured extensively, and was referred to, in his day, as "legendary" on the Old Grey Whistle Test.

However, I think Jeff certainly had the potential to be a consistently peerless singer-songwriter, in for the distance. Shame, eh?
  • Options
    rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Grace is in my top five albums of all time, and it will never get bumped out. I'll love it 'til the end of the earth!
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,072
    dcfaithful wrote:

thoughts? appreciations?

My favorite...this and "Everybody Here Wants You"
  • Options
    bobasfeet wrote:
    My favorite...this and "Everybody Here Loves You"
    "Everybody Here Wants You" * :)

GREAT fucking song. What an incredible falsetto..

"Make our day"
  • Options
    BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    an incredible album

too bad Coldplay gets so much credit for shamelessly ripping him off
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Options
    i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Buckley is amazing. Grace is one my favorite albums ever. My favorite version of Lover, You Should Have Come Over is the one on Live at Sine. If you haven't heard that, get it ASAP. That album is incredible. It's 2 discs of live Jeff with just an electric guitar. Really incredible stuff.
    my sister has the sine album. i really love if you knew and if you see her, say hello. i also like how he does the clappy thing at the start in be your husband.
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,072
    "Everybody Here Wants You" * :)

GREAT fucking song. What an incredible falsetto..

Bitch...edited.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    And Jeff Buckley's version on "Grace" kicked it's ass.

i'm not surprised it kicked its ass... Jeff did his version first.

plus Rufus' version is on the Shrek soundtrack... i need say no more ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.