Options

I've Been Missing Out On Oasis...

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited February 2008 in Other Music
i, like most people, have wonderwall on my ipod...and that, along with champagne supernova, were the only oasis songs that i had. i decided to give them a try...

how the hell was i missing out on this amazing band for so long? holy shit.

don't turn away in anger, supersonic, go let it out, the importance of being idle, rock & roll star, stand by me...

what a great band.

what are you favorite oasis songs?

do they have any plans to tour the u.s. soon? i see they're working on a new album for 2008, so i'm guessing within the next 2 years...any word on how the new album will be?
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    fuck if i know how you missed out? ;)

they're excellent. im a huge fan. my favorites from each album:

columbia
    morning glory
    dyou know what i mean
    stay young
    where did it all go wrong
    (probably) all in the mind
    keep the dream alive
  • Options
    they're great, but honestly, they havent released anything worthy of great mention since the 90's, i would check out their Unplugged, without Liam. And the 1st night at Maine Road in Manchester, 1996. Greatest Oasis right there.
    My god its been so long, never dreamed we'd return.
  • Options
    such a great band. some of my favorites are:

D'You Know What I Mean?
    I Hope, I Think, I Know
    Be Here Now
    Acquiesce
    Cigarettes & Alcohol
    Whatever
    Go Let it Out
    Hello
    Fade Away
    Headshrinker
    Songbird

I also just got their new concert/doc dvd "Lord Don't Slow me Down" which is really cool.
  • Options
    mhterrapin wrote:
    I also just got their new concert/doc dvd "Lord Don't Slow me Down" which is really cool.

i forgot this was coming out! is the documentary feature-length, or is it like snippets in between live performances? is it definitely worth picking up?

oh and does it have subtitles? because i can never understand a word that comes out of their mouths when they speak!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i forgot this was coming out! is the documentary feature-length, or is it like snippets in between live performances? is it definitely worth picking up?

oh and does it have subtitles? because i can never understand a word that comes out of their mouths when they speak!

i asked for it for xmas and if i dont get it im buying it. i believe it's 2-discs. the second is a live show. the first is a documentary of them hanging out throughout the tour and doing interviews and stuff. i imagine there are some live clips spliced in.
  • Options
    The Girl in the Dirty Shirt

Talk Tonight

Sunday Morning Call

the MTV Unplugged and the Noel solo shows from last year are my favorite stuff. great band, but Noel needs to dump Liam. the new DVD makes this more clear than ever. at one point, an interviewer asks Noel what its like to play songs that they were playing 10+ years ago, and Noel says that Liam refuses to learn/rehearse/sing anything other than the same songs they've been playing for years. F that! they have too much great material to keep playing C&A every night.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    drew0 wrote:
    i, like most people, have wonderwall on my ipod...and that, along with champagne supernova, were the only oasis songs that i had. i decided to give them a try...

don't turn away in anger, supersonic, go let it out, the importance of being idle, rock & roll star, stand by me...

what a great band.

do they have any plans to tour the u.s. soon? i see they're working on a new album for 2008, so i'm guessing within the next 2 years...any word on how the new album will be?

I bought Morning Glory when it first came out but then I decided to follow the crowd and disregard everything after. Then I heard Stop Crying Your Heart Out in The Butterfly Effect and loved it so I decided to buy Definitely Maybe. After that I went and bought all their cds, dvds, and saw them twice in concert. I wasted years of good listening because of my ignorance and everybody elses. I dont know if its because of them as people or because Be Here Now wasnt up to par with the first couple albums but they got a huge backlash that was very undeserved. I still think everybody hates them just because everybody else does.

Anyways I love almost all their music but here are a few favorite songs
    Gas Panic
    Roll It Over
    Champagne Supernova
    Wonderwall
    Columbia
    Dont Look Back In Anger
    Stop Crying Your Heart Out
    Born On A Different Cloud
    Step Out
    Dont Go Away
    Sad Song
    Supersonic

I forgot to mention that they have the best b-sides of any band out there

They will likely tour whenever they finish up the new album, who knows when that will be. They usually dont do an all out tour of the US though, they just play particular cities basically.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    wonderwall is my fave oasis song. in fact tis one of my fave all time songs. even when oasis don't sing it. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    drew0 wrote:

what a great band.

You are right; Oasis are a great band and you are a bloody fookin' wanka if you don't like them.

My favorites to listen to currently (by album):

Def Maybe: Slide Away, Live Forever
    Morning Glory: Roll With It, Don't Look Back In Anger (one of the best songs ever, I don't care if it is blatantly recalling Lennon)
    Be Here Now: Stand By Me, Do You Know What I Mean
    Masterplan: Acquiesce (YES!!!), Fade Away
    Giants: Go Let It Out, Who Feels Love?
    Heathen Chemistry: The Hindu Times, Stop Crying Your Heart Out
    Don't Believe The Truth: Lyla, A Bell Will Ring, Turn Up The Sun

As I type this, I'm listening to Morning Glory.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    About 10 years ago, I was a big fan of Oasis - bought Morning Glory and Definitely Maybe, even bought several of the import singles (at $12 - $14 bucks a pop).

These days, I still like them, but I'm not crazy about them. I'd like to see them in concert but they haven't been to Missouri since they toured for Morning Glory (and the show sold out before I could get tix). Also, I heard that their shows aren't all that great, they mostly just stand there. But I'd still check them out if they came around here.

Hopefully someday they will put up all of their B-sides on iTunes, or come out with a comp of them, those are some of their best songs.

My favorite songs:

The Fame
    Step Out
    Stay Young
    (I Got) The Fever
    Rock 'N Roll Star
    Live Forever
    Wonderwall
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • Options
    I can listen to Oasis to an extent but I quickly get bored of them because their songs can be VERY repetitive.

Some songs I dig though:

Hello
    Morning Glory
    Rock N' Roll Star
    Don't Look Back in Anger
    Stop Crying Your Heart Out
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    thats funny

I was just listening to morning glory-which is a great record from start to finish
    some might say is probably my favorite and wonderwall and supernova are classics.
  • Options
    I was 14 and in the UK when definately Maybe came out. I saw them in some pretty small venues. Their posturing and meat and two veg rock is great combination, but in terms of musical progression there ain't much. I had a friend who kept on liking them a lot longer than I did, he tried to convicne that the new album(about 1998) was a step forward. I listened to the CD with the fast forward button on and there really wasn't any change in the songs.

I was however listening to their greatest hits album recently. I reckon unless you are a purist, that and Definately maybe are the standout albums of their career. Other than that it will take a lot to convince me that the rest is not repetitive filler.

This is all taken with a UK perspective however. For so long they were everywhere you looked, so people do tend to be a wee bit sick of them.
  • Options
    I was 14 and in the UK when definately Maybe came out. I saw them in some pretty small venues. Their posturing and meat and two veg rock is great combination, but in terms of musical progression there ain't much. I had a friend who kept on liking them a lot longer than I did, he tried to convicne that the new album(about 1998) was a step forward. I listened to the CD with the fast forward button on and there really wasn't any change in the songs.

I was however listening to their greatest hits album recently. I reckon unless you are a purist, that and Definately maybe are the standout albums of their career. Other than that it will take a lot to convince me that the rest is not repetitive filler.

This is all taken with a UK perspective however. For so long they were everywhere you looked, so people do tend to be a wee bit sick of them.

What do you expect for musical progression? Saying they havent progressed is about the same as saying Pearl Jam havent progressed.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Originality and innovation are overrated. Sure they are factors but at the end of the day all that matters is if the tunes are good. That's it.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    I resurrected this thread, cos I was thinking about it a bit over the weekend, not to start a fight or put anyone down for listening to Oasis.

In my opinion, they really didn't/don't progress much, but what they do they do good. The idea that Pearl Jam are in the same boat is laughable, but maybe that verges on opinion.

The interesting(to me) point is that there are a few bands that are in this mould, the Ramones being the most significant I can think of. I really love the ramones and listen to them fairly regularly, but would I like the Ramoens if I grew up with everyone around me listening to them and talking about their greatness constantly - well probably not.

This leads me to the theory that I am, and I suspect many others are, predisposed to believe that the great stuff doesn't come from too close to home. I tend to look a little bit further afield. This means that if I grew up in Seattle I probably wouldn't like Pearl Jam.

Hmmmm??
  • Options
    fuck if i know how you missed out? ;)

they're excellent. im a huge fan. my favorites from each album:

columbia
    morning glory
    dyou know what i mean
    stay young
    where did it all go wrong
    (probably) all in the mind
    keep the dream alive

Morning glory might just be the most rocking song ever.
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I've never been a big fan of oasis but on each album there were a few tracks taht were just awesome. I made my personal best of oasis and I like it a lot.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i can quite happily spend a night on youtube just listening to Noel doing interviews... hilarious man!!! :D

i've seen Oasis about 5 or 6 times now.. i've always been a big fan.

i hear them now and i can skip songs and stuff but if i'm in the mood then i stick on Definitely Maybe and can quite happily sup on a beer or 6 to that album..
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    fucking in the bushes
    swamp song
    cigarrettes and alcohol

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I hadn't heard Oasis for a while.But my brother had Champagne Supernova on in the car at the weekend.It sounded amazing,and I have been on a bit of a kick since.
    I don't listen to them much but that makes them all the better when I do listen to them as they could be a great bad when Liam behaved himself.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    What do you guys think of the Stone Roses?
  • Options

Awful
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    Awful

Seriously? I see them as the precursers of Oasis. That's certainly where Liam got his posturing and I see a lot of similarities in their song construction and guitar orchestration.
  • Options

sublime
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Seriously? I see them as the precursers of Oasis. That's certainly where Liam got his posturing and I see a lot of similarities in their sing construction and guitar orchestration.

Noel and Liam have both said seeing Stone Roses was an epiphany. without the Roses forcing through the Stock Aitken and Waterman dirge Oasis wouldnt have seen the light of day.. thats acknowledged by the Gallaghers themselves.
  • Options
    Seriously? I see them as the precursers of Oasis. That's certainly where Liam got his posturing and I see a lot of similarities in their song construction and guitar orchestration.

Their music doesnt really sound anything like them, their melodies can most be compared to The Beatles.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    Oasis are very much part of the Manchester progression..... Buzzcocks -> joy division -> The smiths->Stone roses -> Oasis - > whoever is about now since I moved out of the UK.

Side note - did you know that curly watts was once in the smiths?
  • Options
    pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    I think the best song is called The Masterplan, great piece of art, love it.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Sound like they could be at Bonnaroo from some of the clues of heard on Radio Bonnaroo:

There is more than one Manchester - Roo is in Manchester, TN, Oasis is from Manchester England

The Walrus ain't Paul - Oasis has covered I am the Walrus

What is in the desert isn't - if you are in the desert you might see a mirage (which really isn't there) of an Oasis.