Options

Tool' artwork!! This stuff is wierd!!

noalarmsnoalarms Posts: 40
edited May 2006 in Other Music
it comes with freakin stereoscopic glasses for 3d arwork. I love it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    EnigmaEnigma Posts: 59
    Yeah, some of the best packaging I've come across.

(anybody have a ticket to tomorrows show in Seattle?)
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    yeeeh

i thought avacado was weird!
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    "Should" easily win best packaging Grammy.

Best since the days of Zeppelin's crazy album covers.

Does it take anybody else a few second for it to work. It takes a second for my eyes to adjust or somethin and the pictures actually slowly become more focused and then the 3rd dimension is added.

Most excited I have been about album art ever, I think. I have actually bragged to people about it.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    "Should" easily win best packaging Grammy.

Best since the days of Zeppelin's crazy album covers.

Does it take anybody else a few second for it to work. It takes a second for my eyes to adjust or somethin and the pictures actually slowly become more focused and then the 3rd dimension is added.

Most excited I have been about album art ever, I think. I have actually bragged to people about it.
  • Options
    JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    Yeah it took me a few seconds to get my eyes adjusted. Wow is all I can say.

The only problem is, that it's incredibly hard trying to get the cd out. I'm sure they could have figured out a better way to put the cd in there.
  • Options
    depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    its soo awesome!!
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    fucking amazing!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    i had no idea. got home from work late and the "other" big album that came out today took the first ride in the cd player.

when i bought the cds today i was like 'wtf?" with the tool cd...but i just looked through and it is kick ass.

surprising that they put pictures of each band member in there though...
  • Options
    ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
    This disc is classic!!!!!
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    which one is daney carey?
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    which one is daney carey?

The last page, closest to the steroscopic glasses, with the long hair, head in jar, suit. Absolutely amazing artwork. And the band has had their pictures now in 3 of 5 album covers, nothing to be surprised about really.
  • Options
    takingpunchestakingpunches Posts: 107
    i thought it was humorous reading the warning about the glasses, that they are not accountable for misuisng the glasses haha i laughed at that

crazy pakaging, i like it.... my friend was like "they try too hard" but i always just feel the music will speak and at first i thought this album was shitty but it really does grow, i like most of it
    10/31/99, 10/27/00, 06/01/03, 10/25/03, 07/07/06, 07/09/06, 07/15/06

Even Flow PSYCHO member #0020!!
    myspace.com/takingpunches
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    they kind of made my eyes hurt cause i couldnt stop lookin through them. i find it really cool tho, i dont think they try to hard. anyways, i kind of appreciate the effort i guess. took me awhile to figure out what was going on until i looked thru the lenses long enough for the images to come together. its so weird and cool!

i'm going to go look at them some more.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    Yeah. When I bought the thing I was looking at the package and thinking what the hell is this supposed to be? This guy on the cover looking through these glasses? Then when I opened it up I still didn't get it until I read the warning. 3D glasses! Sweet!
  • Options
    KricketKricket Posts: 707
    Yah it cool and ammusing, it's cool to get a pkg like that and the CD is killer. I only listen to it once thru so I can't wait to listen to it again today.
  • Options
    draperdraper Posts: 39
    their previous cds have always had interesting stuff to look at, this however, blew me away.

like a little kid on christmas morning, i kept looking through the glasses seeing what I could find. showing it to people with zip, zilch interest in seeing the artwork, looking at me like I'm an idiot.

as for the music, I haven't got that far yet.
    One is too many and a thousand never enough
  • Options
    depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    i was staring at it for so long yesterday with those glasses.. its fuckin awesome!! :D
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,692
    Funny I am not that impressed with the packaging. There is some good artwork...I really like the skull with the embryo. But the 3D thing to me is pretty lame.

I agree with whoever said it is hard to get the cd out. The packaging is bulky and kind of a pain to deal with honestly. Also I don't think there is that much to it: a picture of each band member and a few other pictures then the song titles and the name of the album. What is so cool about seeing the name of the album in 3D? I think I enjoy more information in the package along with cool visuals. I actually like the avocado packaging better. I guess my ideal packaging would be something like Vitalogy with lyrics, other info, and cool little writings. I'm not trying to start an argument just giving another opinion. Glad everyone likes the packaging.

More important matters, I do like what I have heard of the album so far.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    The Tarot card deck in the one picture is the Aleister Crowley deck.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    corduroy10corduroy10 Posts: 199
    Overall the package is quite impressive, but I think it could have use a small velcro patch or some imbeded magnets to properly fasten the top glass layer to the rest of the package so that it remains closed. Now it just kind of stands up.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • Options
    In this day and age with people getting leaks of new albums and never going purchase the actual thing, this artwork makes it worth it to pick up the actual cd. I'm with everyone and think it's some of the best work musically and artistically from the band. The cover itself stands up as one of the best ever, in my humble opinion.

alan
    PJ in CHI 13 days and counting
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Makes me wish for the days past when vinyl was the standard form of distribution for music. I think the whole concept would really be nice in larger format. I hope they don't wait five years to release on vinyl like they did with Lateralus. If/when they do release on vinyl, I hope it's not a picture disc also like Lateralus (but why am I concerned with this since all of the recording was most likely done in digital).

So how about a SACD/DVD audio with standard packaging? That would be nice too.

I love the music on 10,000 Days! Probably want to post more about it but right now I am just listening and letting it sink in.

Anyone remember the guy who would post a lot over here - Six7six7 or something? He seemed to be a big fan of Ænima but not so much into Lateralus. Nonetheless -- he was a fan of Tool and this type of music...and usually had good posts...wonder how he's liking 10,000???
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    rrivers wrote:
    Funny I am not that impressed with the packaging. There is some good artwork...I really like the skull with the embryo. But the 3D thing to me is pretty lame.

I agree with whoever said it is hard to get the cd out. The packaging is bulky and kind of a pain to deal with honestly. Also I don't think there is that much to it: a picture of each band member and a few other pictures then the song titles and the name of the album. What is so cool about seeing the name of the album in 3D? I think I enjoy more information in the package along with cool visuals. I actually like the avocado packaging better. I guess my ideal packaging would be something like Vitalogy with lyrics, other info, and cool little writings. I'm not trying to start an argument just giving another opinion. Glad everyone likes the packaging.

More important matters, I do like what I have heard of the album so far.
    as much as i am amused like a little kid at the packaging ( i do think its rad)... i must agree that the bulkyness of it hinders my little cd storage, and the disc itself is hard to get out
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    mattmanmattman Posts: 12
    have to say, this is some of the best packaging i have ever seen. Also, the album is pretty damn good too
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,692
    mattman wrote:
    have to say, this is some of the best packaging i have ever seen. Also, the album is pretty damn good too

I finally got to listen to the majority of the album yesterday at the gym and I am really digging it.

I remember that guy Six7Six. I recall him saying that he did not care for Lateralus because of the long songs where they were just testing the listener's attention spans.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."