Options

eagles of death metal - death by sexy (reviewed)

newwetkojaknewwetkojak Posts: 62
edited April 2006 in Other Music
my official review

more of the same stripper boogie rock, which makes this essential summertime bbq muzak. j devil is one of the great frontmen in music today, he's just so damn happy to be there bringing his rock to the world and you can ride the wave of his enthusiasm. it's not hard for a band to get hyped due to a nice afro or other hairdo but the devil is actually getting known for his goddamn MUSTACHE. ha! that's just ridiculous.

anyways, "death by sexy" keeps the vibe of "peace, love and death metal" alive, so if you liked that one, you will theoretically dig this one too. josh homme, though, does NOT play drums on this album. not at all. that job goes to queens dude joey castillo who kills in everything he does, whether its complicated drum lines or braindead retard beats. he keeps the asses shaking here, no doubt.

homme does play bass throughout the record, which adds some serious depth to the sound (since the first album had almost no bass at all). now, i'm not gonna say that josh should be on the cover of "bass player" magazine or anything, but this cat just can't do anything wrong... there's some really nice, odd melodic bass grooves here, specifically "solid gold" where josh sounds like paul mccartney or something. and looking back at homme's resume on bass... queens s/t (that was NOT oliveri on that album), various desert sessions tunes, and "lullubies to paralize"... this guy is a more than competant bass player. i have a bigtime, non-gay man crush on this guy. he's the DUDE. i'd buy a shrinkwrapped turd with his name on it. maybe. um, probably not now that i read it.

buy this, put it on and get yer girlfriend(s) drunk. you'll probably get laid.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Sweet, I've been looking forward to this one!
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    I'm definately picking the album up tomorrow...I saw them with the Strokes over the weekend...it was a great show. If their coming through your town, you should definately try to check them out. They are also doing some free in-stores is some cities too...if you don't want to see the strokes.
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Yeh Big Eagles of Death Metal fan here. Homme is indeed the man.

Every review i've read of " Death by Sexy " has been good, can't wait to pick up the album tomorrow.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    hey, anyone know if they are still including the bonus dvd with this fucker?
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
  • Options
    Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    This album is good. I've had it for a while, but didn't listen to it too much. I just finished spinning it, and I really enjoy it.

As for J. HO, fucking rock God. That's all. Easily one of the best musicians of all time. The sounds that he can come up with are amazing.

I want a new Queens album now!!!

But I guess I can settle for some Desert Sessions first. :D
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    joey castillo who kills in everything he does, whether its complicated drum lines or braindead retard beats. he keeps the asses shaking here, no doubt.

Not to Hi-Jack because I love EODM, but I heard Joey can't play all of "Songs for the Deaf" while he tours with Queens. I heard that Grohl's drumming was too fast for him.

Back to the subject at hand. This album is why Im waking up tommorrow. Purchase and enjoy.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Not to Hi-Jack because I love EODM, but I heard Joey can't play all of "Songs for the Deaf" while he tours with Queens. I heard that Grohl's drumming was too fast for him.

Back to the subject at hand. This album is why Im waking up tommorrow. Purchase and enjoy.

Like what songs? I saw a few shows that he absolutely nailed the songs. And on the DVD/CD he sounds/looks pretty good.
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    someone post it as a suggestion in the 'dance rock' thread and i thought he was kidding, mainly because of the name of the band.

but your 'review' made me interested. ('...stripper boogie rock')

is it really groovy? where do i start? name a couple of songs that can work as a 'welcome card' for me.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    Just get Peace, Love and Death Metal. Debut album. Seriously awesome album that needs to be heard.

Put it in and go for a ride in yr car, make sure it sunny out, and put the windows down. Bring a girl if there is one around.
  • Options
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Like what songs? I saw a few shows that he absolutely nailed the songs. And on the DVD/CD he sounds/looks pretty good.

I think it was maybe "Song for the Dead" that they were talking about. I remember watching an interview w/ Josh Homme where he was talking about it. He might of just been fuckin' w/ Joey though. :D

I saw Joey play with the Eagles once and he was good. Lucky for me the only time I saw Queens, Grohl was behind the Kit.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    OMFG!!!! I can't handle how hilarious these guys are!!! LOL!! Excuse me, that title alone it TOO MUCH. ahahahhaa. :D

I'll also never get over the quote from Rolling Stone...

"We blew off everyone's clothes with the power of Rock N Roll. Everyone was sexually satisfied"

:eek:

LMAO!!!!! I fuckin love it.

Anyways, thanks for the review newwetkojak. :D Very nice. Ahhh, "stripper boogie rock". LOL!! Well that's one way of putting it. :p It's definitely fun.

I saw these guys with THE STROKES a few weeks back and could not stop cracking up,...but also could not stop shaking my ass. :D haha. They're good/funny times for sure. I definitely think the match up of them and THE STROKES as tour buddies is PERFECT too! :D
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    I think they should open the Portland show Vedhead? What do you think?
    NERDS!
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    haha. OOoooo, both THE STROKES and EAGLES OF DEATH METAL?? They're currently coming as a package deal so.....

haha.

So let's see, how about THE STROKES @ the 1st PORTLAND show and EAGLES OF DEATH METAL @ PORTLAND #2. ;)

Hell yes!
    Where do I sign???
    :D

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    patw486patw486 Posts: 52
    my official review

more of the same stripper boogie rock, which makes this essential summertime bbq muzak. j devil is one of the great frontmen in music today, he's just so damn happy to be there bringing his rock to the world and you can ride the wave of his enthusiasm. it's not hard for a band to get hyped due to a nice afro or other hairdo but the devil is actually getting known for his goddamn MUSTACHE. ha! that's just ridiculous.

anyways, "death by sexy" keeps the vibe of "peace, love and death metal" alive, so if you liked that one, you will theoretically dig this one too. josh homme, though, does NOT play drums on this album. not at all. that job goes to queens dude joey castillo who kills in everything he does, whether its complicated drum lines or braindead retard beats. he keeps the asses shaking here, no doubt.

homme does play bass throughout the record, which adds some serious depth to the sound (since the first album had almost no bass at all). now, i'm not gonna say that josh should be on the cover of "bass player" magazine or anything, but this cat just can't do anything wrong... there's some really nice, odd melodic bass grooves here, specifically "solid gold" where josh sounds like paul mccartney or something. and looking back at homme's resume on bass... queens s/t (that was NOT oliveri on that album), various desert sessions tunes, and "lullubies to paralize"... this guy is a more than competant bass player. i have a bigtime, non-gay man crush on this guy. he's the DUDE. i'd buy a shrinkwrapped turd with his name on it. maybe. um, probably not now that i read it.

buy this, put it on and get yer girlfriend(s) drunk. you'll probably get laid.

you sure josh homme doesnt play drums on this one? the drumming does sound a little different than on peace love death metal, but the teaser video they put on the website a year ago shows homme on drums
  • Options
    patw486 wrote:
    you sure josh homme doesnt play drums on this one? the drumming does sound a little different than on peace love death metal, but the teaser video they put on the website a year ago shows homme on drums

Josh was playing on this tour.

Castillo played the last time I saw them at Dante's
    NERDS!
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    Eagles of Death Metal Death by Sexy . . . (Downtown)

Eagles of Death Metal are a party-rock band led by journalist-turned-singer Jesse Hughes and Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme, who handles drums and production duties. Like their slightly hookier 2004 debut, Death by Sexy . . . tosses together garage jams, slinky classic-rock riffs, sunbaked harmonies and falsetto-laden come-ons like "I'll touch you there because I know the spot" (from the fine Stooges rip "I Gotta Feeling"). The album sounds plenty sleazy but not always fully cooked: Murkier cuts like "Eagles Goth" suffer from fuzzy production and tossed-off melodies, and the Hughes-penned "Ballad of Queen B and Baby Duck" -- about Homme's rocky courtship of Distillers singer Brody Dalle, who appears on the song -- sounds like a four-track demo. But when the Eagles channel their inner golden god on bluesy rave-ups like "I Want You So Hard" (which features Jack Black in a small cameo), the sexy propulsion could light up a bar, or a strip club. (CHRISTIAN HOARD)
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    patw486 wrote:

Homme and Hughes were the only two on the last album...homme on drums and Hughes guitar.

Homme played bass for this album...Joey Castillo does drums...it's in the liner notes.
  • Options
    bprob wrote:
    Homme and Hughes were the only two on the last album...homme on drums and Hughes guitar.

Homme played bass for this album...Joey Castillo does drums...it's in the liner notes.

False.

Timmy Tip-Over played lead guitar. And Oliveri was on there too.

[I can't think of his real name, he is in a band called Millionaire, I think]
  • Options
    Tnerb248Tnerb248 Posts: 49
    alas, it is joey castillo playing drums. i think josh is much better. he can play even 16th notes, joey can't. either way eagles rule.

and what did happen to the liam lynch bonus dvd? and wasn't this supposed to be a double record?

-brent
    www.brentplaysdrums.com
  • Options
    I bought this album today and when the girl at best buy rang it up the LED showed "Death by Sexy"

She gave me a weird look and was like "Death by Sexy"

I was like yeah Baby Girl and gave her a wink and walked out.

I guess you had to be there :D
    NERDS!
  • Options
    rcsrcs Posts: 711
    I bought this album today and when the girl at best buy rang it up the LED showed "Death by Sexy"

She gave me a weird look and was like "Death by Sexy"

I was like yeah Baby Girl and gave her a wink and walked out.

I got a Death by Sexy shirt at their show in Reno last year and whenever I wear it I always get odd looks and hilarious comments. Love these guys! They are a riot live. Homme is seriously thee man. Anything this guy touches turns to gold! Rightfully so though cause he's just oozing talent. Whether you like the music he makes or not you have to admit the guy is an amazing musician/songwriter.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • Options
    WTF?! I went to pick up the record yesterday. It wasn't at a single outlet here!
    Which came first,
  • Options
    love Joey but he kinda messes up First it giveth during the chorus. But the two times ive seen them live, hes been great. Im glad Josh isnt playing drums though.
    PJ Shows:

9/05/2000 Pittsburgh
    4/26/2003 Pittsburgh
    6/23/2006 Pittsburgh

Under your tongue...I’m like a tab...
    I will give you what...you’re not s’posed to have
    Pearl Jam - Last Exit
  • Options
    Dick Jones wrote:
    False.

Timmy Tip-Over played lead guitar. And Oliveri was on there too.

[I can't think of his real name, he is in a band called Millionaire, I think]

I knew the album featured a lot of people...didn't know they had one specific lead guitarist for the first album...
  • Options
    Got it! I like it, it's good to see there are still bands trying to make rock music fun.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    bprob wrote:
    I knew the album featured a lot of people...didn't know they had one specific lead guitarist for the first album...

He was a frantic guitar player. If you've seen some of the TV appearances you'll know what I mean. He is just all over the place.

When I saw them last year they had "Diamond" Dave Catching playing lead and bad ass.
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I just bought it this afternoon. Really cool album and just what I needed to. I already had three space away albums in my hand that I wanted to purchase and that's when i saw Death by sexy. I remembered reading about them here so I thought I'd have a listen. I ended up going home with 5 new albums and I'm listening to Death by sexy right now.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Pretty good, really fun album. Nothing spectacular, but it is a very fun rock album and should be played a lot over summer with the windows down.