Options

Going back over the golden oldies

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Music for me was at its peak from around 64 to 74. So I always check out some good 60's tunes.
My latest additions were the first two Tim Buckley albums and very good they are too.
I've got the best of Loving Spoonful, a great double of San Quentin and Folsom , Johnny cashs two live albums, the doors strange days.Sabbath's 71 release.

All of these I got at very good prices. What is it with the Stones albums . Twenty five euro for "Let it Bleed". Why such a price?

Any other good artist around that time (bar the well known) worth checking out?
I was looking out for any Jayhawks albums yesterday but couldn't find any. The aunt will get me one in the states at a later date.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Donovan
    King Crimson
    Frank Zappa (Hot Rats at the very least)
    Neil Young's Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    Miles Davis
    The Velvet Underground
    Supertramp
    Nick Drake

just a few. All pretty big names, but worth having
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Echoes wrote:
    Donovan
    King Crimson
    Frank Zappa (Hot Rats at the very least)
    Neil Young's Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    Miles Davis
    The Velvet Underground
    Supertramp
    Nick Drake

just a few. All pretty big names, but worth having

I went to download a song of Limewire of King crimson but it didn't work. What kind of sound had they.
    Zappa I have heard one song of his off an Uncut cd . Liked what I heard . I think the song was about cheese.
    Neil young I have Harvest and after the gold rush.
    I think I got a lone of it the other day as regards Everybody knows this is nowwhere. Is Cinnamon girl on it.

Miles Davis is a grey area. I'm not a fan of jazz but I know that he is highly rated.

Donovan I have a greatest hits but will start collecting albums of his.
    Velvet Underground will have to check them out. Will download one or two songs to see do I like them.

supertramp I have heard of them but not any of their material.Any famous songs.

Nick Drake the illusive man. Will get albums buy him too in the future.

John B Sebestian was looking out for his first solo ablum but didn't find it . After hearing "I had a Dream " on Woodstock album , I had to check him out.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    fada wrote:
    I went to download a song of Limewire of King crimson but it didn't work. What kind of sound had they.

Very prog rock, lots of instruments, overtures, quieter passages. The kind of thing that is great to sit and listen to all the layers.
    Zappa I have heard one song of his off an Uncut cd . Liked what I heard . I think the song was about cheese.

Zappa had some interesting ideas about humour in music, and it turns a lot of people away from an otherwise amazing musician due to his high silliness factor. however, on Hot Rats he manages to keep his mouth shut for the most part and puts out an amazing jazz fusion performance
    Neil young I have Harvest and after the gold rush.
    I think I got a lone of it the other day as regards Everybody knows this is nowwhere. Is Cinnamon girl on it.

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere is a great place to start. Some amazing songs on that album
    Miles Davis is a grey area. I'm not a fan of jazz but I know that he is highly rated./

Get Kind Of Blue, it is an amazing Jazz album. I really need to explore some more Miles
    Donovan I have a greatest hits but will start collecting albums of his.
    Velvet Underground will have to check them out. Will download one or two songs to see do I like them.

Mellow Yellow is a great place to start for Donovan.
    supertramp I have heard of them but not any of their material.Any famous songs.

famous ones would be "Give a Little Bit" "Dreamer" and "Bloody Well Right," but you should get ahold of songs like "School" and "Goodbye Stranger." Wicked stuff there.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    fada wrote:

yes cinnamon girl is on it. first song.

it took me ages to get into tim buckley. cause i am such a big fan of jeff b. i sorta didn't want to muddy those waters. so early last year i decided it was time. i got tim buckley + helloandgoodbye. nope, didn't work. i didn't like his voice. i couldn't sing along with him. i liked nick drake so much better. i left him for a little while and came back to him with greetings from l.a. this time the fit was better. some of his albums are hard to find, but i'm getting there. i doubt i'll be as big a fan of tim buckley as i am of nick drake.

buffalo springfield
    crosby stills and nash
    the byrds
    led zeppelin
    the band
    gram parsons
    springsteen
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    Definitetly delve into some Miles Davis..the very 1st Jazz cd I bought was Bitches Brew....quite an amazing album...at the time my thinking was that it was the CD that most people that are not Jazz fans liked....and I've loved ever since...so much that about a year ago I bought the Complete Bitches Brew Boxed Set....really really really great stuff. Since then I've bought (of Miles's work)

Kind of Blue
    Sketches of Spain
    The Birth of the Cool
    My Funny Valentine

and I wanna say 1 more or 2 from him...but it escapes me right now.....and I am at work and not near my cd collection.

But definitely delve into some Jazz...amazing music it is......nothing against him, but don't base an opinion of Jazz on someone like Kenny G.......the music is ok...nothing spectacular to me.....but I wouldn't base my opinion of Jazz on him.