Options

Are Black Crowes good live?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I am into seeing bands I havent seen this summer. PJ and Ben Harper are two bands I have tickets for.

I really want to hit up the June 18 Shoreline date.

Are the black crowes decent live?

I have all their cd's, they have a certain jam band, zeppelin, doors type feel to them I like.

I have seen them 3-4 times in the last year and a half and they are AMAZING live. A truly great show. Each time the set list is really different, like Pearl Jam. They play covers, rare songs, plus the standards. Even the standards change quite a bit. I have only seen them play She Talks To Angels once, which is good or bad depending on your point of view. I would say they are one of the only bands that can give Pearl Jam a run for their money live. Definitely go see them if you get the chance. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    JamHead86JamHead86 Posts: 37
    I think i am going to check out their chicago show this summer. Can't go wrong with the crowes, robert randolph, and the drive-by truckers all together can ya?
    "I feel it!"- Eddie, during Alive solo, Chicago 2003
  • Options
    i kinda thought you were one of those types of fans........blech to you

Well i'm glad you got a good read on me.

They were boring as hell the show i attended......maybe they rock every other show, i'm just telling you what i saw. Petty blew their unenthusiastic asses away

They could have mixed in some of their really cool sing alongs to mix it up a little............but instead they just jammed and dragged their feet through hard to handle.

Pardon me for not wanting a band i'm not a hard core fan of to play all unrecognizable b-side material. The only band I want to hear all b-sides from at a concert is pearl jam.
  • Options
    JamonitJamonit Posts: 21
    Damn good live!!! I saw them in Asheville, N.C. last Spring and it was very solid. They played Greasy Grass River like forever. Alot of bud in the air too.
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    The Black Crowes are amazing live!!!
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • Options
    holtzholtz Posts: 509
    Pardon me for not wanting a band i'm not a hard core fan of to play all unrecognizable b-side material. The only band I want to hear all b-sides from at a concert is pearl jam.

Here is something Chris Robinson said last night at a show in Austin, from a review on Crowesbase.com-

"When has a band in the history of rock n roll ever stopped and said "Yea, we'll play that." and let's get more specific when have the Crowes ever done that. We're gonna play what we want to fucking play and if you want to talk go outside and don't ruin everyone elses trip.".

The Crowes play what they want and for people that only want to hear "hits" they are probably gonna be bored but if you just want to hear some good music you'll have a good time.
  • Options
    Johnny WongJohnny Wong Wauwatosa, WI Posts: 193
    Yes, one of the best live touring acts around.

I have 300+ Crowes bootlegs.

I have a few on my hard drive right now that I'd be happy to B&P to anyone who PMs me.

Some people are right, if you want to see the Crowes "Greatest Hits" live. Stay home.

If you want an inspired set of jams, deep cuts, covers and studio outtakes & fan favorite obscurities (plus a "hit" thrown in for good measure). go see them definitely.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Awesome live band and just an awesome band period. Ive seen them twice in small venues, most recently last year in Raleigh. I didnt care what songs they played because I think all of them are great. Same way I feel about PJ. The Crowes are probably my 2nd favorite to PJ. Wish they would get their asses in the studio and put out some new music.
    Brian
  • Options
    holtzholtz Posts: 509
    NCBRI wrote:
    Wish they would get their asses in the studio and put out some new music.

They've played a couple new tunes on the Chris and Rich acoustic tour so they do have some stuff written, not sure when they are gonna record though.
  • Options
    NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    Huge letdown for me. Very disappointed when I saw them.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold Posts: 7
    Best band on the planet. I like PJ a lot, but the Crowes are better musicians have the best chemistry on a live stage of anyone I have ever seen.

I don't want my favorite band to playa greatest hits package on stage every night.

You can go to 3 shows in a row and get totally different shows and totally different vibes.

To the clown above who saw them at Tinley on July 15th in 2005, there is no way Petty blew the Crowes off the stage. That's ridiculous. Petty plays the same show or worse that I saw in 2002.

I love Tom Petty, but he's gotten old real quick and plays a greatest hits package on his summer tours which I have seen repeteadly.

You need to go to a Crowes show in a theater that holds 2,000 people and then come back here and tell everyone the Crowes aren't any good.

That's cool if you genuinely don't care for their music, but they have some ridicuously good material you have probably never heard because it's NOT on their greatest hits album.

PJ and the Crowes are rock and roll, but still apples and oranges by comparison. Both are the best in their own right, but the Crowes are flat out flithy live and put on the best show going right now with jams, phenomenal cover selections and some amazing unreleased songs to choose from that's as good as anything they have released.

An opening slot for Tom Petty doesn't do them justice. And they blew Petty away.

60 year old geezers were wondering who they were and thought they were the new Allman Brothers or something.

I couldn't believe the amount of ignorant Petty fans sleeping on the Crowes in the parking lot. That was their loss.

They are as good as any band in history of soulful rock and roll. Musically, it doesn't get any better than the people in that band. That's the pinnacle.
    Marc Ford will make your head spin around sideways.